We’ve discussed Fugu and its origins in detail here on Fishing Fury, but I don’t ever recall posting a video of a live fugu being filet by a master chef. Emphasis on the live part by the way! Perhaps not the video for those who are upset seeing their food moving after its head gets chopped off.
In case you ever eat fugu, make sure you ask the chef to see his fugu license.
Seven men in Tokyo ended up in the hospital after eating some fugu that was not prepared correctly. They developed limb paralysis and had trouble breathing before they finally started to lose consciousness and were rushed to hospital. Luckily none of them have died.
The owner and chef had no formal training on the correct preparation of fugu and could face charges of professional negligence.
- Fugu Facts:
- Blowfish poison, called tetrodotoxin, is nearly 100 times more poisonous than potassium cyanide, according to the Ishikawa Health Service Association
- It can cause death within an hour and a half after consumption
- Three people died and 44 others were sickened by blowfish poisoning in 2007 — most of them after catching the fish and cooking it at home — according to the Health Ministry
via Moldy Chum
In the past we’ve discussed catching and eating Fugu with Adam Guy, but these would be the first photos we’ve seen of a fish getting the wrong portion of Fugu.
Looks like this Red Snapper bit off more than it could chew! My question is what do you think happened to the animals that ate the snappers flesh, do they get poisoned too?
The photo was taken in Fiji by Jack Hynes, I found this photo and more on his Flickr page.