PDA

View Full Version : New member in Toronto

gkingorama
07-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi Fishing Fury!

Great to find a site with so much emphasis on fishing the waterfront and Toronto islands, especially since I live only a 10 minute bike ride from the ferry.

I was just out on the islands for a Sunday BBQ for the first time since I was a teen and I noticed a few people with fishing gear... It was awesome to be out in a natural setting and I'm definitely heading back a couple times a month for swimming, biking, and of course, fishing.

I've only been a casual (camping/cottaging) fisher catching panfish but with such a great location so close to home I want to get a bit more informed about this as a hobby sport and get some gear.

I've already emailed and got some great info from Clive and Jonathon about beginner's gear for island fishing. I'm gonna grab a 6'6" or 7' rod as they recommended, since I would love to tackle a pike or carp if I get the chance.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome! I'm thinking of heading out to Centre Island on Saturday bright and early. (Assuming that an Outdoor card and fishing license can be turned around pretty quickly!)

MikeH
07-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Welcome....!

jwm
07-31-2012, 10:28 PM
You can get a license on the spot at any canadian tire. I dont know if you'll be able to find any pike in the channels this time of year, and be warned the crowds on the island. Also check out TorontoUrbanFishing.com (http://torontourbanfishing.com/) many of the members here (including myself) are also ambassadors of Toronto fishing and will have plenty of indispensable tips for you and may even be able to take you on a guided trip.

&& Welcome aboard!