PDA

View Full Version : Tails on Lures, with or without?

Woody
06-12-2009, 01:58 PM
This is perfect timing and thanks to MuskyBill, i haven't got to send any pics in!...I bought my Zalt Lures awhile back now and haven't had chance to try them out, but when i bought them, i noticed that you could buy different coloured tails for them that clipped on the back as well. I never bought any as i wasn't too sure if they were worth the money, but looking at Bill's Fishing Report i noticed that his Prize Musky was caught with Bait that had the same Tail as the ones that i was looking at. So to cut a long story short, what i really want to know is, do you have more chance of catching if you have Tails or not on your Lures or does it just depend on the time of day, time of year, what mood the Fish is in etc?! Thanks, Woody.

szomo.ca
06-12-2009, 02:21 PM
im not sure about the bait your using but my guess would be the more action the better ... anything that adds life to your bait can only increase its potential

Woody
06-12-2009, 03:04 PM
The Lures i'm on about are 11 Topics below this one, the photo of the 4 in a line are the ones i bought.

cbiegel
06-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I think you could do very well with a single hook on the back with a gulp “mullet” threaded into it. It would give extra action, leave a sent trail, and if you that a hit that doesn’t hook up there’s a better chance the fish will come back due to the taste.

pierre
06-14-2009, 08:11 AM
I think you can add a tryer
I often use them when i'm fishing pike or sea bass. It help fish to get a bul eye on the lure as pike are sometimes not so good to taget your lure.
The most important if you add a bait natural or soft is that he mustn't go against the action of your lure.
you can nearly add what ever you want for exemple, i've met a guy who was use to add a 3 to 4 Inch fish on his spoon with two treble hooks and he gets great results; ohters use to add a worm on their spinner to get perch...
When fishs are agressive they might be no diference but if they start to be more suspicious this trailer can make the point.

Pierre

MuskyBill
06-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Kinda funny, Woody, I've had baits with tails in my box for a long time before I tried them, but when I did, WOW!!!

I still use baits without tails occasionally, but these days I tend to lean towards baits with tails. I think the wiggle is just the right amount of tease to trigger strikes... :dirol:

Woody
06-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks everyone who left a comment, my brain has took it all on board and i think the Tails will have to go on!..Merci Pierre, i know what you mean by the Tail or whatever you're using going against the action of the Lure but the Tails i'm buying are designed especially for my Zalt Lures. Cheers!

MuskyBill
06-14-2009, 07:47 PM
What's funny is Slopmaster spinnerbaits.

When you buy them, they come already outfitted with a rubber tail (grub) but since I've never caught a Musky with one, the first thing I do is remove the tail!
The tails seem to work just fine on other baits, but for some reason I've never had a sniff with the spinnerbait/tail combo.

Clive
06-15-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm reminded of that one day we had a couple years back on the Bog Bill. We ran into those bass guys using bass spinners who couldn't keep the musky away. They had white mister twisters on they spinner if I remember correctly. I hooked a couple that broke off shortly after on similar lures.