PDA

View Full Version : the best rod/reel $100 can buy

ctom
07-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Yet another "help with picking out a rod/reel" thread......

$100
Give it to me.
Spinning/Casting, I don't care. Size: don't care (but I'd prefer smaller). The only catch is that I need it to be collapsible (at least 2 pieces)
Also it can be less than $100

Woody
07-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Uglystik (a huge choice for every kind of Fishing you will ever need).

Clive
07-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Rods:
Ugly Stik - probably the best cheap rod out there IMO
Berkley Lightining
Reels:
Shimano Sedona
Abu Garcia Cardinal
Quantum Quickfire
Daiwa Megafoce

Its hard to say what is best since most of the reels I've used in the last 10 years have cost over $100. I partial to Quantum reels. I have had several both spinning and baitcast that have lasted the test of time. Any combo under $100 will only last you so long if you fish a lot. I always look at my reels as long term investments. A $2-400 will last forever with the right care - a $30 reel will last only a few years with heavy use.

Basspro and Cabelas both have their own line of rods and reels that are basically rebrands of other popular reels at a lower price.

jwm
07-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Both the cardinal and the quickfire are solid reels for the price, for sure, and for an all purpose tough rod on the cheap you'll never beat an ugly stik. I've landed nice size Toronto Islands pike on a light action spinning setup just like this. They broke a bit of the cork of the end, but the rod has never failed me to this day. You already know about PowerPro there isnt much more to say!

ctom
07-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys!
I'm liking the Berkely Lightning Rod quite a bit, an I'm looking at those reel options.
can't seem to find the Quickfire anywhere though.

Clive
07-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Sorry ctom, my mistake - Shimano does the Quickfire is available in the Spirex and Solstace models. Quantum makes the Snapshot. Although history has shown that the trigger spinning reels arnt the greatest, my Quantum SX3 Snapshot has lasted well over 10 years, but the trigger failed long ago. It cost $34.99 when I got it. Its in really rough shape now, but gets occasional use in saltwater (when I dont want to muck up my newer reels)

This reel made me a believer in Quantum and it was the first reel I ever bought all by myself. Paired with an Ugly Stik of course :)

This is the new version of what I have:

http://www.quantumfishing.com/prod_pages/Snapshot.htm

jwm
07-22-2009, 10:53 PM
The quantum snapshots are great reels especially in the light/ultralight categories. I think that's what my father uses, almost exclusively.