PDA

View Full Version : New Server!

jwm
07-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Since I am never one to complain very long about something under my own control. I installed my server at priority colo (http://prioritycolo.com) this afternoon after work. Fishing Fury is simply growing too fast for our current host (Dreamhost), admittedly they are a budget host with lots of great features for the price, but we've simply grown past their average server capacity (CPU & memory limits). Things like our sponsors program and the forum are likely a big part of the increase, and we've got so more more planned that I can't afford to run into the same problems a few more months down the road after we release our next project.

Right now about 3-5% (possibly more) of our visitors are getting errors due to these server limits. Clive and I are seeing the errors even more often when trying to write and publish and that's extremely frustrating. With our own server to configure and use as we please we can really buckle down and get our awesome ideas and projects out faster.

For those interested it's a single rack unit pentium 4 with a 3.2Ghz processor, 3Gb of ram, and a 500Gb raid. It's nothing to crazy, at least compared to the stuff I'm working on these days, but I've had a lot of experience maximizing this type of hardware for maxium speed.

Clive and I have discussed was to offset the cost and we still think that sponsors and selling schwag is a better option than google ads. We hope to have some new stickers and buttons soon, not to mention a few secret projects to announce.

I hope to have the site migrated by the end of the month. I will announce on the main site when that's happening.

Master Basser
07-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the info, and all the hard work.

Woody
07-25-2009, 04:06 PM
It's good to see you 2 keeping up with the changes, it must be a nightmare!...You must feel proud though when you see your own site running as good as it does. :dirol:

jwm
07-28-2009, 10:50 PM
I have moved the sponsors system to our new host to free up some resources. I will probably move the galleries tonight, fishingfury itself tomorrow or thursday maybe. If anyone notices any issues please let me know, feel free to post them here.

Clive
07-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Good stuff, looking forward to it! I've been having a ton of issues posting recently.

jwm
07-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Galleries are moving now, you shouldn't notice any downtime though, the views might be a little skewed unfortunately (I'm sure woody will click on his photo enough to make up for that one :haha:) but I will do my best to ensure that any comments missing the new server are copied over.

jwm
07-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Galleries should be completely moved now. Some users may still see the old site though, I will leave the old site online for a little while longer until Im sure that everyone is seeing the new site.

Master Basser
07-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Galleries should be completely moved now. Some users may still see the old site though, I will leave the old site online for a little while longer until Im sure that everyone is seeing the new site.

am I seeing the new site now?...or is this the old one, now I am confused... LOL! I see fish in my dreams!

Woody
07-31-2009, 04:10 AM
Hey Jonathon, i have to keep looking at my Fish because i don't get to go Fishing much anymore and i'll forget what i look like next to a Lake, that's my excuse and i'm sticking with it!...Like MB says, am i looking at the new site yet or do i need to look more at my pictures to see it?!!! :fool:

jwm
07-31-2009, 09:58 AM
You should be seeing the new site now though for some reason some networks still see the old site I may have to get dreamhost to help by moving or removing their DNS records for thtat domain. You can find out which site you are seeng by doing an nslookup the ip of the new server starts with 204 the old site starts with 67.

jwm
08-01-2009, 01:46 PM
FYI fishingfury.com will be moving this weekend! I hope it goes smoothly!!!!!

henrywaszczuk
08-03-2009, 07:38 AM
good job on the site, Jonathan drop me a line direct to my email address, I have something interesting to talk to you and Clive about.

Cheers

hw

jwm
08-03-2009, 10:35 AM
good job on the site, Jonathan drop me a line direct to my email address, I have something interesting to talk to you and Clive about.

Cheers

hw

I know I got a lot of sun yesterday, but I've never hallucinated a forum post before. Am I still sleeping? I will email you this evening when I've completed migrating our site. Thanks HW! :yes:
--

Also, I forgot to move the site last night because, well, I totally passed out after getting home. So the site will be moving now, and I hope that it will be as quick and painless as possible... :dirol:

jwm
08-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Testing a few features to make sure things are working...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw0s5CRVQOU

jwm
08-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Hopefully everything should be moved and working. If you notice any problems please let us know so that they can be fixed asap!

Thanks to everyone for being so patient!

Clive
08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
So far so good for me!

jwm
08-03-2009, 09:28 PM
The dashboard is way faster now! Also Clive you should use Gears (and click the Turbo link at the top) if you haven't already.