PDA

View Full Version : to snap swivel, or not to snap swivel.....

ctom
10-06-2009, 04:34 PM
I used to be restricted to snap swivels, and could not imagine life without them. My friend stopped using them, citing they added awkward weight, messed with the action of most lures, and weren't that helpful anyway. I thought he was crazy, but I actually tried it, and I haven't touched one in months (granted I also had a horrible experience with a batch of Eagle Claw swivels I bought). But I found the same things he did. I haven't had a single line twist problem, (probably due to PowerPro), and I think it really improves the natural action that was intended for the lure. I used to use them solely for convenience but I've found that I'm not bothered with cutting and retying. I think it makes me a better fisherman, I get more used to fishing with one thing for longer.

Thoughts?

jwm
10-06-2009, 06:15 PM
It really depends on the lure I think. The convenience of not having to re-tie, not to mention not losing a small amount of line everytime is very powerful. Most of the time I do use a leader or a snap swivel, and I have not noticed any overwhelming issues, some lures like crankbaits, will have a strange sinking pattern (nose first) and can also have a strange action as the swivel disrupts the water in front of the bill.

So the answer is... it all depends on your application!

Clive
10-06-2009, 09:31 PM
I stopped using swivels 4-5 years ago and I dont miss them at all. It takes no more then 10 seconds to tie a good knot. Smaller lures definitely will respond better with no swivel and the biggest benefit is less tackle to fail on you!

There are a few lures that I like the addition weight, such as top water lures. Sometime a little weight from a swivel can make them sub surface, or give them a really slow sinking action that has proven to be pretty deadly for pike.

legacey
10-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm a 50/50 kind of person with swivels.

I use them for cranks, and although not recommended by some others, spinner baits too.

I find no matter what; tied directly or when using these on SB's, the line creeps away from the crook. With a swivel, as soon as I cast, I give a quick snap of my rod and since it's not as tight on the wire as a direct knot, it will for the most part, return to the crook again.

Cheers

Sanj
10-08-2009, 12:03 PM
i never use swivels, i don't want to impede my lure/live bait action.

I also never use leaders for the same reason....then again my luck with catching pike and musky is almost non-existent.

Gary Switlick
10-08-2009, 03:23 PM
i only use swivels when fishing for pike and muskie. always on a leader. the best ones i have found are spro brand they are extremely strong and have a bearing in them. they are very smooth and i get no line trwist at all i also have never had one fail. the down side is they are very expensive.

cbiegel
10-15-2009, 01:04 PM
I only use them in freshwater when fishing with inline spinners. I canít take the line twist you get without them.

When fishing in saltwater I almost always use them with or without a leader. The only exception is when fishing with soft plastics which donít fish properly with a swivel. Of course with saltwater lures even a 150 lb swivel is pretty hard to notice.

szomo.ca
10-28-2009, 01:34 PM
to make life easier to avoid using swivels ? use a polymar knot ... its the easiest , strongest knot you can find .

basically the gist of it is , you form a loop with your line , feed the loop through the eye of the hook or bait. tie an single over hand knot but before tightening run the loop around your bait. Moisten , tighten and your done. And this knot never fails ... works really well with braid

jwm
10-28-2009, 02:07 PM
I only use the palomar knot (unless tying two lines together)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiDDdW22X9k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7bBugWIzHw

Clive
10-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah, polamar is the way to go for sure! Cant think of a more simple knot that retains so much of the line strength!

cbiegel
10-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I use it for almost all my terminal tackle knots. Iíll use a uni knot if itís not feasible to fit the lure back through the palomarís loop. But then the lure is frequently pretty big so I might just use a snap swivel with a palomar.

pierre
10-30-2009, 03:19 AM
Same for me most of the time i use a palomar to link the line to the siwel when i use one. I nearly never use swivel for hard bait there are of no use so i prefer to use just a snap. I just use swivel with big in line spinners. For size 00 or 0 in line spinner i don't use them but i take out few meter of line before starting the session.

Michael
05-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Bring back to the old thread but I must ask.

I would agree that using a swivel/snap swivel will give added weight to a lure causing it not perform in not so natural way.

Since the admins here loves to do pike fishing, what to do on these situation?

Pike fishing with hardbody lures like X-Rap, HuskyJerk & etc...
WiredLeader/Fluro leader adds enough weight to make lures nose dive/sink instead of suspending.

I could always take a chance and not use any type of leader but chance of loosing a lure(s) is too high for pikes.

Any thoughts?

:)

jwm
05-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Pike fishing with hardbody lures like X-Rap, HuskyJerk & etc...
WiredLeader/Fluro leader adds enough weight to make lures nose dive/sink instead of suspending.

I actually like this action, especially for lethargic pike.

raf
06-02-2010, 10:09 AM
try using a split ring instead of a snap to connect the lure. they wont impeded the action as much (lighter) & still no need to retie. just have split ring pliers or a strong nail.

Sanj
06-02-2010, 03:18 PM
I only use the palomar knot (unless tying two lines together)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7bBugWIzHw

do u ever use the double palomar? the vid says it's better for braid, just wondering.

Clive
06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Jon uses it, I've always stuck with the single...

jwm
06-02-2010, 11:20 PM
I use the double palomar when I tie to bigger lures or bigger swivels. Generally only when I'm pike or musky fishing. I cant speak for the strength in specific numbers but the knot -feels- a lot stronger and in situations where your line/knots are prone to wear (exposure to teeth) I think it pays off.

However, we both tend to burn/melt the cut end of the line which prevents any complete slip failure of the knot. I do the same for fluoro, or pinch it flat just below the end.

Sanj
06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
thanks guys!

burn the end? what does that mean, how do u do it?

Thanks again!

Clive
06-03-2010, 10:32 AM
With FIRE!!

Just a plain ole lighter does the trick - but be careful to just do the very end - to much flame and the whole not will burn up!

Sanj
06-07-2010, 12:28 PM
hahaha..

u mean burn the loose end of the line? why?

Clive
06-07-2010, 01:18 PM
yeah the loose end - makes a stubby end that prevent the knot from sliding thought too easily...

jwm
06-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Exactly the burned end swells up a bit and therefore cannot be pulled back through the knot.

Sanj
06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
cool! def something i will try this weekend!

ctom
07-07-2010, 08:56 PM
hahah i used to use any sharp knives i could get my hands on to cut my 40lb braid, but one day i just decided to try a lighter, and it has made life that much easier.

Arizona Fishermen
12-04-2010, 09:55 AM
If I use a swivel, its usually for trolling. I have found that they mess up the action of the lures I'm usually trolling. I usually use crank baits and swim baits so now, if I do use one, I put it at least 3 feet about the lure.

Arizona Fishing (http://www.hookedaz.com/)

adleach21
03-26-2011, 01:19 PM
I havent used them much, with the exeption of crankbaits im going to be sparing when using them unless im trolling or spot casting and need to change it up constantly if im in a hurry to get some fish !!