PDA

View Full Version : So, one piece or two piece?

cbiegel
03-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I was watching a Canadian fishing show the other day and the host had a tackle rep who sells in Canada and the US fishing with him. The topic came up and the rep, who knows both sides well, said that heís noticed that most fishermen in Canada prefer two piece rods while most fishermen in the US prefer the one piece.

I originally liked the two piece rods because they are much easier to deal with in the car and since I donít have a bass boat anymore long one piece rods can be a pain. Now with that said, I have kind of bought into the idea that one piece rods are better due to strength and sensitivity issues and many/most of my rods are one piece.

Frankly I donít think if I was blindfolded I could truthfully tell the difference. I think Iíve been kind of caught up in a ďwell thatís what everyone usesĒ type of deal. In fact my next purchases are probably going to be two piece rods (one Musky/inshore salt and one salmon).

What do you guys think? What do you use? Do you honestly think you could tell the difference if you couldnít see/didnít know?

jwm
03-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Im not sure i could notice the difference either, I have a few two piece spinning rods, but all my musky/pike rods are definitely single piece..

Bottom line is this, use what works for you, as long as your catching fish does it matter?

cbiegel
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Bottom line is this, use what works for you, as long as your catching fish does it matter?

I totally agree but I do think itís interesting how different groups get set in their ways and believe that itís the ďbestĒ way. Or even more interestingly, folks who donít really even know why they always use one thing or another; itís just the way everyone does it.

What Iíd really love to see is some lab experiments of the real differences between the two types because I suspect that unless weíre talking big game rods (tuna etc), the difference in performance is minimal. Iím sure the manufactures have done this stuff.

jwm
03-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I would not doubt that a single piece is more sensitive than a two piece. However look at most of the nice fly rods, those often breakdown into five or more pieces and could potentially be just as sensitive.

Woody
03-04-2010, 03:56 PM
You beat me to it Jonathon, i was going to say that my travel Spinning Rod is a 5 piece and it's absolutely fantastic and no loss of sensitivity as far as i can tell (and a lot easier to take on a plane in a rucksack!)