PDA

View Full Version : Baitcasting setup?

Sanj
03-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi,

I currently use a light-action Shimano reel/rod. I use either 6 or 8lbs mono line (can't recall the exact weight strength right now).

I am looking for a more sturdy set up, for example, something i can toss those giant musky spinners with. When i tried with my current setup, the lure was way too heavy (it was like I had already caught a fish!).

So from what i remember from yrs ago, baitcasters are more of a heavy-duty type of reel. First off, is this true?

Secondly, can anyone suggest a rod/reel combo? I am not looking to break the bank, maybe spend 50-70 for the reel (but only if it is a good deal for the quality) and i am not sure how much rods go for these days (the rod/reel i have is from the late 80's!!)..

Thanks! I would use this setup for fishing musky, sometimes for bass in heavy cover and anywhere else I think i may need it. i really do like my current light-action setup (fights are great!) but i am limited in the size of lure I can use.

i also went by a Canadian Tire and took a look at the lines. I was thinking of using a 20lbs mono line, something like Trilene XT, or Big Game, is this a good idea? Am I on the right track?

THANKS!!!

Gary Switlick
03-04-2010, 11:01 AM
the rod i use is a 6'8" berkley series one rod m-h fast action. it cost about 80 us. and the real is awesome but expensive about 225-250 us it's the diawa zillion with 7:1 ratio very fast i use this combo for bass muskie and pike and have landed many fish in the 40"-43" range and have had no problems landing them. hopefully the helps you out.

cbiegel
03-04-2010, 02:37 PM
This is a combo I canít recommend enough. I use these rods (and reels) for all sorts of fishing in both fresh and saltwater. I would go with a 7í MH rod and the 6.4:1 reel. Around $160 for the combo. You can catch big fish and throw big baits with this combo but also smaller spinner baits and plastics like SLUGOs.

jwm
03-04-2010, 08:55 PM
The first musky rod I had (and stil have) is a Shimano Cardiff and a Fenwick HMG Musky Rod. Even to this day it's a great setup, specifically for big bucktails, suicks, bulldogs, jakes, etc. A new Cardiff will run you about 130-140 depending on spool size, and a new fenwick HMG is about 100 bucks.

I just looked through my Le Barons catalogue and fixed the prices above so they're accurate. There are other options too, for example the Fenwick Canadian Methods series musky rod is 65 bucks, and a Berkley lightning rod will only cost you 50.

jwm
03-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Or you could get a baitcaster and some fresh new shades. (shameless self promotion)

http://www.fishingfury.com/20100304/spring-is-coming-gear-up-and-save-big/

Woody
03-05-2010, 03:15 AM
Those Baitcasters look nice, free specs as well? Bargain! :dirol:

MSBruno
03-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Polarized lens' are always overlooked. I don't go anywhere without a high quality pair. They help me catch more fish.

The fishingfury deal is good. Also check out the rapala type r rods, always a good deal.

I'd stay with a rod less than 7'. When I have guests on my boat, I always pair them with a 6'6" rod and it's MUCH easier to control than anything over 7'.

jwm
03-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I'd stay with a rod less than 7'. When I have guests on my boat, I always pair them with a 6'6" rod and it's MUCH easier to control than anything over 7'.

I'd say especially if you're a shore fisherman.

Sanj
03-09-2010, 05:40 PM
thanks all!

pro bass is having a pretty big sale, so i might try to pick up a reel there...

DS
04-13-2010, 01:23 PM
ST,
If you're still in the market, Bass Pro has a couple of sales you might be interested in. There is a Bass Pro baitcaster (allegedly manufactured by Pflueger, I can't confirm) for $80 that I just picked up (my first one too!) and it normally retails for $110 I think. It casts smooth, has a lot of adjustment, and has a one piece aluminium construction which makes me, an engineer, smile.
Also, there is a Shimano Clarus 7' M two-piece rod that I just picked up. It retails for $100 but there is a $20 mail-in rebate. Believe me when I say that I am NOT a fan of the mail-in rebate, but Shimano's HQ is in Peterborough so I'm a lot more confident I will receive my rebate.
So all tolled, this setup ran me $160 plus tax, and I'm very pleased with it. If you're downtown and want to check it out, I'd be happy to let you have a cast or two.

One more thing... and I can't stress this enough... but you guys should be trying braid if you haven't already. Braid is thinner than mono or fluoro for the same pound test, casts farther, is tougher and more abbrasion resistant, etc etc etc. It really is 'super' line. People who are worried about their line being visible to the fish can just tie on a fluoro leader. It also has almost no stretch, so you can feel a bite immediately and set the hook like a champ. There isn't a lot of value in having a beautiful fast action rod and then running sloppy mono line. Just my opinion of course.

Darryl

Clive
04-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Sounds like a good deal DS - and I agree 100% about braid!

Sanj
04-15-2010, 11:49 AM
thanks guys...hmmm, i think i'll try braided line for this setup...never tried it before, would 20lbs bee good, or should i be going real heavy, like 50-65lbs?

jwm
04-15-2010, 11:51 AM
for pike/musky i go with the 65#, if its just for bass you can go with the 35#. Dont go with something two thin or it can bind and buckle on the spool and cause some serious backlashing.

Clive
04-15-2010, 11:56 AM
For learning on a baitcaster, heavy line will be easier to work with - easier to untangle the birdsnests!

Sanj
04-15-2010, 02:58 PM
so it's light lbs test line that's responsible for my crazy tangles/birdsnests on my spinning reel?

ok, thanks, i'll go heavier w/ the baitcaster.

jwm
04-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Yea I recommend the heaviest diamater your spinning reel will take.

araret
04-15-2010, 06:26 PM
True, on spinning reels, light braided lines will get easily tangled.

In my opinion, almost all the birds nests in spinning reels are caused by line twist. However, I've had some weird experiences with the line twist. I think the momentum of the line 'crashing' into the bait plus line twist can easily give you birds nests just like in a baitcaster.

After long casts with 1oz spoons, I find that if I use my hands and lightly 'fluff' the line coming out of the spinning reel, it'll help out, and remove almost all bird nests.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I swear that as the lure slows down in a cast, the line will crash into each other, and although not as bad as baitcasters, it will help generate the nests with the existing line twist.

jwm
04-15-2010, 07:17 PM
I've found the same "crashing" issue before, but only when one of the following factors is also in play

1. Too much line on the spool
2. Line is too thin for the spool (you probably also put too much on, see #1)
3. Lure weight exceeds your rod/lure/line recommendations.

After switching to thicker braids and always leaving adequate room on the spool, I've not experienced this problem in a while. Especially on spinning gear.

Clive
04-15-2010, 11:14 PM
I've always had more issues with light line on all types of reels I've used (even my ultralight!)

Sanj
04-16-2010, 04:59 PM
i use mono on my spinning reel, and i had a lot of tangles/birdsnests last yr...i use 8 lbs, but it's also a light setup.

is there a brand that tangles less than others?

jwm
04-16-2010, 07:56 PM
I pretty much exclusively use powerpro, and really like it. Lines are a really tough thing to buy, you don't want to pay 30-40 bucks to spool up with something you're not going to like for the application. Perhaps I should start a dedicated thread for lines and see what people say.

Clive
04-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Mono (any brand) can be prone to tangle as it ages. The line has 'memory' from being coiled tightly and it stiffens and retains that coil even off of the spool. With braiede line you could keep the same line on your spool for several years without issue. I'm Im goign into my 5th season with the same spool of PowerPro on one reel...

jwm
04-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Yup, the last time I spooled up my Cardiff was in '05 I believe.

cbiegel
04-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Saltwater breaks it down a little faster but you still get at least 3 years out of it. Even then you can use the old stuff as backing for a layer of new stuff.

jwm
04-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Saltwater breaks it down a little faster but you still get at least 3 years out of it. Even then you can use the old stuff as backing for a layer of new stuff.

That's good to know. I have a Quantum Cabo PT spinning reel with 65# yellow PP on it. Hasn't seen much saltwater action though.

Sanj
04-19-2010, 10:33 AM
thanks for the info on line!

went to bass pro on the weekend..never ended up buying line or a rod and reel; i realized i need to do a bit more research. but man, those sales reps at the fishing line area are crazy aggressive!

i also had to deal with an idiot behind the reel counter, but everyone else was OK.

i have a question regarding rods...there was a nice shimano combo there ($89.99) but the rod said line strength of 6-16lbs..the guy at the reel counter said it's nothing to worry about, i can still use a heavy setup (50 or 65lbs).

is this true?

i can't find the combo on their site for some reason.

Clive
04-19-2010, 12:00 PM
You can definitely use heavier line on any reel, but it probably doesn't have the drag you want for musky.

Any fish can be caught on light line, but several species, especially musky are prone to dying after a long fight. It is VERY important to have strong line and solid drag to get a musky reeled in quickly to ensure its survival, especially big ones!

DS
04-19-2010, 01:34 PM
i also had to deal with an idiot behind the reel counter, but everyone else was OK.

The idiots at the reel counter I usually have to deal with are in front of it :angry2:

I think after hearing all of this talk of PowerPro you should buy something else and give us a review! I'm sure I have enough PP in my tackle box to spool you up if you really do hate what you buy!!!

DS

araret
04-19-2010, 03:17 PM
i have a question regarding rods...there was a nice shimano combo there ($89.99) but the rod said line strength of 6-16lbs..the guy at the reel counter said it's nothing to worry about, i can still use a heavy setup (50 or 65lbs).

is this true?

When buying rods, I usually look for 3 factors.

1st, the lure casting weight. If you know you use it for shore fishing w/ heavy spoons, then you want a heavy lure weight (max of 3/4, 1oz), or if you want to use it for weightless worms, then go for light lure weight (min of 1/16,3/16oz). Most common cheap rods are in the middle.

2nd, the rod length and 1 or 2pc. I currently must buy 2pc rods because I don't have any way to store a 1pc, and a longer rod means farther cast if fishing from shore.

3rd, fast action, slow action or noodle rod. Fast action = just tip bends and fast hookset, slow action = less hooks ripped out of fish's mouth, noodle rod = the whole rod bends and takes the weight.

I think the line weight is mostly for how well it casts a big bulky mono line, not how much weight a rod can hold before it breaks! I've never seen a rod breaking with a 20lb line...

A bigger line means it has bigger casting guides, while thinner lines have smaller guides. I suppose that if you are using braided line, then you don't need to consider the line factor, but if you use 40lb mono, then it's very critical not to put it through a rod with small guides.

Also Clive,

especially musky are prone to dying after a long fight. It is VERY important to have strong line and solid drag to get a musky reeled in quickly to ensure its survival, especially big ones!

I gotta say that musky dying after a long fight made me realize that Carp > Musky!! You can fight a 10lb carp for 15 min and it still have fight left over when you get it in the net. Although carps don't have any teeth like a musky :sarcastic:

jwm
04-19-2010, 10:40 PM
I believe that Carp have a much better mechanism for dealing with lactic acid build up than other fish, certainly musky. Also keep in mind that a fish can still be released and die later due to the effects of the fight, this type of mortality is perhaps more common in musky. There have been a few studies on the matter.

Here is one about delayed mortality.
http://www.nwtigermuskies.com/delayed_mortality.html

Sanj
04-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks for all the info guys!!

Clive - drag for musky? I assume you mean that at its highest setting it will still peel off to a big musky? I really think I may have to reevaluate what's realistic for me. I will rarely target musky, only if out for something else. Sooooo, i guess i should try a lighter braid, say 25-30lbs. I want something flexible enough to use for bass in heavy cover, and for trying some giant lures for pike (huge spinner baits, crankbaits, bucktails).

Jonathon - I think a dedicated thread on lines is a great idea!

DS - I think I'll take your idea and try something else. It will be a braid, but not one of the very high end ones. I'll post what I think about it in the...line thread?

araret - I think my light rod is a noodle-type, so I'll probably try a faster action rod. I will also need to buy a 2-piece. I want to try and use larger lures, have to check what weight they are.

Thanks all! This place is a really great site for info...and for catching the Fishing Fury! I can't wait!

cbiegel
04-20-2010, 09:42 AM
I think after hearing all of this talk of PowerPro you should buy something else and give us a review! I'm sure I have enough PP in my tackle box to spool you up if you really do hate what you buy!!!

DS

PP, Spyder Wire, Suffix, all pretty much the same as long as you didnít get that one bad batch of PP in the lower tests that was going around a couple of years ago.

jwm
04-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Ive heard good things about liquid braid, but I dont know if its for sale in canada.

Clive
04-20-2010, 02:38 PM
With a baitcast reel you can use your thumb to apply additional drag to the reel as well.

I use 30-40lb braid for almost all of my fishing needs. If you plan to cast big lures you'll still want at least 50lb braid. Anything lighter will be prone to breaking on hard casts with heavy lures. I used to loose lures all the time when casting if the spool bird nested on me. Since I switched to 65lb PP I have have not lost any lures on a cast, and I cast lures 3-4+oz.

The reason the braid will break on casts is because their is zero stretch. Often these breaks will occur at knots or any weak point in the line. Jon has a Quantum Tour PT baitcaster with 65lb braid and has caught loads of pike, bass, and even a nice accidental musky last season.

Here is a great read for anyone who wants to start fishing musky.

http://muskie.fishn.ca/articles/start-muskie-fishing.shtml

A lot of people will tell you that 80-100lb line and big rods and reels are ridiculous for musky fishing, but to effectively land and release these big fish you want to have equipment that can handle the fish easily. Some may says its not very sporting to catch a 20lb fish on 100lb line but when you consider the size and price of musky lures, you are not gonna want to loose that lure to a fish - first you'll be out some serious cash, and second a 12 inch lure lost in a muskies mouth will ultimately be its demise.

Personally I use the same setup for pike and musky, and often the same lures. (my primary setup is - 65lb powerpro, Quantum Cabo 31pts, 7 foot Shimano Compre heavy action rod, 80lb fluro leader)

If you reel right handed, you can get the Cabo reel for $90 (used to be 175) now at Cabelas
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0078191125272a&navCount=1&podId=0078191&parentId=cat601360&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21404-cat21406-cat601360&catalogCode=OG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601360&hasJS=true

[http://www.fishingfury.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Quantum-Cabo-reel.jpg

Sanj
04-20-2010, 03:11 PM
thanks again clive for all the info!!

that link looks pretty good, i'll def read it.

ouch, your thumb?!

that reel has a 5.7:1 ratio, i've read that 7:1 is ideal. Is this a big deal?

Clive
04-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Typically the lower ration is better for pulling in big baits - a high ratio will have a quicker retrieve, but less torque to get the big lures in.

5.7:1 is ideal as a multipurpose reel.

araret
04-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Hrm... Cabela's doesn't have a store in Ontario though... I'm guessing that you'd have to go to the States if you want to buy one?

Clive
04-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Their shipping isnt bad - and they just opend their first Canadian location in Winnipeg I believe, although I dont see the reel on their .ca site.

Sanj
04-26-2010, 09:41 AM
i saw an Abu Garcia Black Max on sale at CT. has anyone ever tried this baitcaster?

Clive
04-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Haven't used one, but size wise, its a little small and underpowered for casting muskie lures. Looks solid for bass and small/mid size pike lures though!

And the price looks really good too!

http://www.abugarcia.com/dimg/853b4cdae25b7135e41c23d138df439f.jpg
Model No. Ball Bearings Config. Gear/Line Capacity Price
BLACKMAX (1129926) 5 Right Hand 6.2:1 12/160 49.95
BLACKMAX-L (1137028) 5 Left Hand 6.2:1 12/160 49.95

jwm
04-26-2010, 03:50 PM
nice colours!

Sanj
04-28-2010, 10:03 AM
well, the pike opener is around the corner, so i better get my azz in gear and buy a baitcaster already!

realistically, i won't be catching many muskie..i just want to be able to toss larger lures (bucktails, rapalas, etc) without feeling like i already have a fish on.

so i guess i should go with 50-65lbs braid.

a 6'6" - 7' 2-piece rod.

a baitcaster that can handle this.

not a lot of $$.

guess i have to make a few more treks to CT and bass pro, poor me! :)

can anyone suggest another store?

thanks!

cbiegel
04-28-2010, 10:39 AM
I love the good old Abu C3 and C4's. I've got them in all four sizes (the 7000 is a slightly different design) and use them in both fresh and salt water. They are bullet proof and with a greased carbon fiber drag upgrade will land everything from largemouth bass to big trout/salmon to my biggest striped bass (49 inches and almost 50 lbs). Best part...less than 100USD.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_74091_100001000_100000000_100001000_100-1-0

Clive
04-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Those Abus will get the job done at a reasonable price. Another option are the Pete Maina Reels from bass pro. Looks like they only have a low profile Maina reel, but they have other muskie options under the BPS brand I'm sure.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98443____SearchResults

Clive
04-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Heres the BPS round baitcaster for musky - looks like Maina no longer has his name attached to it...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10205090____SearchResults

Sanj
04-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks again for all the info. I'm going to head to Bass Pro tonight and finally get something...

Sanj
04-30-2010, 02:50 PM
finally bought something.

i got the shimano combo at bass pro. the reel is a shimano callisto CSO-100.

i forget the rod name at the moment..it's a 6'6", 2-piece rated at 6-15lbs line (i am pretty sure) and lure weight of a max of 3/4oz.

picked up spiderwire ez braid 50lbs, one of the cheapest braids there.

it's a lighter setup than i had originally thought i'd get or want, but thinking about the fishing i actually do, i think this is great for me. can't wait to try out braid and a baitcaster for the first time. the guy behind the counter was a great guy this time, took time to explain things to me, spooled my line and showed me how to set the drag, mag, etc, even though it was past 9pm.

on another note, the bass pro brand crankbaits were on sale, $2.95..never tried them, but thought, what the hell, $2.50.

jwm
04-30-2010, 02:53 PM
I still have my Pete Maina musky reel that I'm trying to sell cause it's right handed. Pre spooled with 65# power pro too.. If anyone is interested let me know.

Clive
04-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Good stuff ST - now comes the fun part, learning to use it!

Should we add a classifieds section?

Sanj
04-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Jonathon - after i bought my combo and went back to the desk to have it spooled, i saw a pete maina baitcaster for $60, reg $130!...i was already having buyer's regret! but i'm fine now.

Clive - lol...ya, reading about baitcasters online and from what the guy at BP told/showed me, sounds like it will be a bit of a learning curve. that's ok, i think it will be fun!

jwm
04-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Good stuff ST - now comes the fun part, learning to use it!

Should we add a classifieds section?

I'm not comfortable managing a classifieds section right now.

Sanj
05-10-2010, 11:57 AM
aarrgghh, saw the exact same reel/rod combo this weekend at a bait shop for $55..i bought it at BPS for $90....haven't used it yet, but it's all spooled up, so if i returned it i'd lose the line i guess...oh well, live and learn.

jwm
05-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Or go buy the 55 dollar one, put it in the bps box, and return it. So long as its the same reel and model I dont see it as a problem. But dont quote me on that :lol:

Sanj
05-10-2010, 02:48 PM
hey, good idea! the combo didn't come with a box..i would have to try and put the price stitcker on the cheaper one, may be difficult.
wondering if they would scan it and realize it's not the same one?

jwm
05-10-2010, 08:52 PM
I dunno. Might not be worth the troubles.

Sanj
05-11-2010, 09:42 AM
u r probably right.

cbiegel
05-26-2010, 08:35 PM
I still have my Pete Maina musky reel that I'm trying to sell cause it's right handed. Pre spooled with 65# power pro too.. If anyone is interested let me know.

Hey, shoot me a PM about what you want for it as it looks like a nice reel. I don't know why but I just can't get used to left handed reels.

Sanj
06-21-2010, 10:44 AM
well, got out 2 weekends ago and my baitcaster bird nested so bad it was useless...i assume i just have to cut the line off now and re-spool?

i guess powerpro is the way to go? i was using spiderwire ez braid.

cbiegel
06-21-2010, 12:15 PM
You should be able to pick out the nest if you spend enough time on it. If the line isnít worth it to you or youíre planning on putting braid on anyway then just cut it out.

To avoid most of the problem in the future (even pros backlash from time to time) let us know how you were adjusting your breaks and perhaps we can help you get dialed in.

Clive
06-21-2010, 02:43 PM
I spent 45 minutes undoing a nest one time...

Danny L
06-22-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc

Sanj
06-22-2010, 10:54 AM
cbiegel - adjusting my breaks? is that the small drag dial near the crank? the mag is set to 10 (full?) the guy at BPS said i should use it that way at first.
thinking back, i might not have adjusted my drag before casting...only my 2nd time using a baitcaster, so i think i forgot...was too excited to start fishing!!

Clive - we rent boats, so i really don't want to spend 45min out of the 8hrs we have to untangle a nest...but man, that's patience!

Danny L - cool vid! i'll definitely try that next time.

thanks guys for the replies!!

cbiegel
06-22-2010, 12:41 PM
The main thing Iím thinking of is the spool tension knob that on the same side as the handle and should be next to/under the drag crank. You want to set it correctly each and every time you change lures. If itís too loose for the lure youíre casting you are almost guaranteed a birdsnest.

The guy who sold you the reel was correct when he said to keep the mag brake at 10 until you get some experience casting. It will shorten your cast when set so high but as soon as you can cast without overruns you can start backing off of it.

Sanj
06-24-2010, 10:40 AM
can someone recommend a specific powerpro type to use? i think i saw on the BPS site that it comes in a few types...

thanks!

Clive
06-24-2010, 03:43 PM
I'd say to avoid the hollow or ICE brands (havent ried them yet) and stick with the regular original Power Pro.

I suggest 40 or 50lb moss green or phantom red. I used to use lighter, but find that the heavier line is less brown to nests, and is easier to fix when it does even if 50lb line seems overkill for bass, at least you'll know you'll never loose a big fish to broken line!

Sanj
06-25-2010, 09:50 AM
thanks guys...i went to BPS and asked the guy if he could eyeball my reel and determine if I still had lots of line left (I got my scissors out a few days ago and got all the tangles out). he said i was fine, so i didn't respool...i hope the line behaves this weekend (cause it's all the line's fault! :smile: ).

i was going to get the moss green 50 lbs line...i was thinking about the red line, but if i am fishing shallow/topwater, the red would still be visible, correct?

Clive
06-25-2010, 03:05 PM
I've never been overly concerned with line visibility, but the red line is supposed to be best for deeper water - 15 to 30 feet. I've used it in shallow water without issue. Unless you notice the fish are getting spooked easily (which is impossibility unless you can see them of course) any colour line will work.

The water here has a redish stain to it and I can only buy the red line here because the stores dont carry green

jwm
06-28-2010, 05:06 PM
My only complaint with the red line is that the coating comes off more and can dye your hands, or the cork on your rods, red/pink.

Clive
06-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Thats true, I always have a pink thumb after a day of fishing!

Woody
07-02-2010, 04:21 AM
Nothing wrong with Red, it's supposed to be the 1st colour to disappear underwater anyway.

jwm
07-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Nothing wrong with Red, it's supposed to be the 1st colour to disappear underwater anyway.

So just keep your hand underwater for a few weeks and nobody will notice :haha:

pierre
07-05-2010, 09:54 PM
:lol:

cbiegel
07-20-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm trying out the red this season after always using the green. The only difference I can see so far is that it's easier for me to see the line. I use the yellow on my big saltwater jigging reel. It's great to be able to see your line clearly when fishing with a bunch of other people (line tangles) and since I'm not casting I can use a pretty stout knot to attach a floro leader without worrying about it casting through the guides nicely. I do rub a black marker on the last few feet just in case.

Arizona Fishermen
12-04-2010, 09:51 AM
I would just focus on the reel. I always avoid the plastic ones. I got this ABU Garcia 5500C3 Ambassadeur Cast Reel. Love to cast it! I use an ABU Garcia rod to usually an 8ft. This is a great reel for casting large bass lures: spinners, swim baits, etc. and you can even put 30 lb line on it and use it in salt.
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/8bfJxPaeJZigAjgJKuqbdsn9KzxqYJTGxdhzr-7fzuxNPEG1CDFTMg3BGa8QfVidkQbfeoVZAKIt79o78GDsB1dc boMYG2k0Lnu9HnJTTyhAPa1_1W6lnMsjL21DpUf7jueVjbgNuw

Arizona Fishing (http://www.hookedaz.com/)

cbiegel
12-07-2010, 09:27 AM
I own all three sizes of that reel and love them. Well, I have the 5000 C3 but the C4 in the 4000 and 6000. Only difference is the thumb bar on the C4 series. Freshwater, saltwater, they work for everything.