PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite brand of line to use and why?

Clive
04-17-2010, 12:27 PM
For me its PowerPro hands down. I've been happy with other braids, but power pro has proven to be the best for me.

It casts really well, its really strong and it works great on all types of reels.

When I use mono, which isnt often I like to use Berkely Trilene.

cbiegel
04-17-2010, 01:05 PM
I totally agree on both counts. I use both of those brands most of the time.

I used to love Spyder Wire but I've moved to red and yellow lines and the SW only comes in green and white.

Ive got fluoro on a couple of reels this year and I like Berkley for this.

Frankly, I tend to buy the quality name brand that is on sale because I haven't seen a huge difference between then. Like I said above, I only switched to PP because I wanted the yellow and red lines.

jwm
04-17-2010, 02:18 PM
For me its PowerPro hands down. I've been happy with other braids, but power pro has proven to be the best for me.

It casts really well, its really strong and it works great on all types of reels.

When I use mono, which isnt often I like to use Berkely Trilene.

Same here, and Seaguar Fluorocarbon for leaders.

Danny L
04-17-2010, 04:03 PM
What:

Braid - Daiwa or YGK
Mono/Floro - YoZuri(hybrid) or YGK

Why:

Its JDM tight Yo!

araret
04-17-2010, 05:06 PM
line: Powerpro, green or red

Why: it's the first one I tried and I've never needed to change to another brand :D Why change it if you're satisfied already?

I'm planning to use a fluorocarbon leader this year, but haven't found one on sale yet.

Also, I found that if you have old mono that isn't destroyed by the UV, you can soak it in warm water for 30 seconds and it'll become flexible again and it can be applied on your reel. This works for high poundage mono (worked perfectly for my 20lb mono line, since which I replaced with powerpro)

Clive
04-17-2010, 07:20 PM
araret - I'll be bringing a bunch of 80# fluro leaders to Toronto Islands with me - if you are there, I'll give you a few.

That goes for anyone else we meet at the islands too...just ask!

jwm
04-18-2010, 11:33 AM
I suppose since theyre made with my 80# seaguar you've had for a few years I'll get some too :shout:

Clive
04-18-2010, 08:43 PM
lol - I still have yours - I have the same spool! :lol:

Furthermore, you said I could have yours, and I'm fairly certain you have at least a few of my lures in your possession!

jwm
04-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Ya so... :sarcastic:

KenReece
04-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Hands down Fireline Tracer 30lbs for any setup that I use for casting, except for Musky which I spool 65# or higher. For everything else I use the newer fireline(radial). I've tried mono,powerpro,tough line, and others, none have compared to Fireline. If conditions call for invisibility(Niagara River if gin clear or shy smallies in Lake Erie) I'll tie on a floru leader, also will be testing new floru premade leaders for Musky in June.

Kind of weird that so many here like PowerPro, it is the one line we tested in Canada and stopped using it on day 2. This was about 7 years ago, so maybe it has improved.

Clive
04-19-2010, 01:06 PM
There was a knock off batch of PowerPro making the rounds several years ago - maybe you got that one??

The first braid I used was spider wire (white) and I tried fireline the same year and didnt like it at all - I was using a very small diameter line with an old reel and it caused a lot of headaches.

Since I started using PowerPro I haven't used any other braids.

DS
04-19-2010, 02:29 PM
+1 for PowerPro. I'm using the green braid on two reels and the red on another. I haven't really noticed anything different between the two. I fish for pike, walleye, bass, and panfish and to be honest, I don't run anything larger than 30# test for anything. I guess that comes from the days of doing all of my fishing with 8# mono no matter the species. As with Ararat, PowerPro is the first braid I've tried. It was recommended to my by a few people so I have tried it. I tie on a 20# fluoro leader (Berkeley Vanish) and its been awesome aswell. I have a whole bunch of it and I expect it to last me forever!!

DS