PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Tackle Question

DS
04-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Just a quick question that I thought of this weekend re: Terminal Tackle

I have always fished with leaders that had a built-in snap swivel that was quite large. I have NEVER had a fish pull a snap swivel apart. This weekend I was fishing with balsa crank baits and I was again using a snap swivel, but a relatively large one compared to the weight of the line (20# PP braid) and to the lure. My question is this: How small of a snap swivel can I use to ensure that the line doesn't twist, the lure doesn't come off in case of a snag or fish fight, but the fish also doesn't see the swivel and it doesn't cause problems with casting etc. I wish I could tell you which size of snap swivel I'm using.

DS

Clive
04-19-2010, 02:26 PM
I'd match the line at the very least. I gotta ask one question though, why use a snap with a crank when a crank doesn't cause your line to twist?

My guess is so you can change lures quicker...

I used to ALWAYS use a snap with every type of lure, but stopped 4-5 years ago. I always tie directly to most lures with exception of spinnerbaits.

I figure more hardware means more opportunity for failure.

If you insist on using the snaps then make sure you have the locking ones.

I like this style, but there are several different types that lock
http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/ProductImages/LJDLS.JPG

I would avoid this style:

http://www.tackleup.com/images/snap_link_swivels.jpg

DS
04-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

You have it correctly, its just for ease of changing lures. I apparently don't have a lot of patience! Honestly though I have just used swivels because its what we've always done. I am using the locking style, and I have had problems with the non-lockers. Maybe I'll just suck it up and tie onto each and every lure. Maybe that will make me more patient!

DS

KenReece
04-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Gary and I have been making our leaders since last year. Just using one(1) Spro swivel to tie to your line with @ 14" of good steel/titanium line directly tied to swivel(think we use crosslock like Clive posted). The Spro swivel is so good they recommend to only use one up by the line. The material is expensive, but ends up saving alot of money over time and a much better feel. Easy to make, just need those 3 materials with crimp sleeves and a good crimper/pliers.

Clive is correct, avoid the fastlock(bottom pic Clive posted), crosslock and some specialty ones work very well. The kind we buy I think is rated at 70# or so and they are not too big.

Also patience is overrated, I only retie my lines in clear tough conditions.

Ken

araret
04-19-2010, 03:28 PM
In terms of snap swivels, I certainly feel that you need to bulk it up.

Last year at the islands, There was one instance where the swivel opened up and my spoon dangled with it open. I saw it and luckily I didn't lose the spoon.

Then, a couple days later, I completely lost my 3/4oz daredevil spoon due to a faulty snap swivel. The thing just opened up like popcorn without a fish. After that, I bulked up to BIG swivels.

The new snaps I use are 1/2cm wide by 2cm long excluding the swivel, and rated at 40lbs. It actually takes some effort to open the snaps up by hand because they're held in so tightly. Furthermore, if it looks like the snap swivel will give out soon, I'd rather throw out the old one than risk losing another lure! In the end, I couldn't find the same spoon anymore because it was out of stock for that colour/weight.

Also, I had a weird experience with steel leaders. I bought a 40lb steel leader for pike season and I had a hairpin spinner on it. I walked from center island to wards and while I was walking, the leader just gave out and snapped in the middle. I'm guessing that it was from the up and down motion of walking, but it was weird how it was only a 1/2oz spinner and not a big musky plug.

jwm
04-19-2010, 11:07 PM
I also like to size up my my leaders. I had one open up on me on the islands last year, and it was not enjoyable. I also make my own fluoro leaders. I dont bother with the line clamps and stuff, though clive makes some great 80# leaders, I prefer to tie the 30-40# fluorocarbon leaders by hand.

I always try to buy the double locking snaps and these are the smaller ones, not sure what size. Probably about 40#, i have bigger ones that are 80#.