PDA

View Full Version : Salt water Multipliers filled to the brim?

Woody
05-15-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm buying myself my 1st Multiplier Reel for some Sea Fishing this summer and someone has recomended an Abu Seven boat Multiplier (about $100 i think). What i'm wondering though, is do you still have to Spool them right to the top or isn't it so critical on these as there not being used for casting like they would if you were spinning? Cheers!

cbiegel
05-19-2010, 12:07 PM
“Multiplier” Oh you crazy Brits! ;)

On a more serious note and to answer your question. No you don’t have to completely fill the spool. Technically the amount of line does affect the strength of the drag but unless you are fighting fish that could possible spool you this isn’t a real issue. I like to leave 1/8” (3-4 mm?) of space but more is perfectly fine.

Clive
05-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Yup, what he said. No need to fill it all the way up, but if you have the line, there is no reason not to.

Clive
05-19-2010, 01:38 PM
also, I've never used that Abu - but if you are buying from the US, the Quantum Cabo is still on Sale at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0078191125272a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=quantum+cabo&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

Its a right hand retrieve model that they have on sale and will hold over 200 yards of 50lb braided line - which should be sufferance for the saltwater fish you'll be targeting (unless you are going way offshore) - Its got a solid ceramic drag system that hasnt let me down yet.

I've got the larger version of the Cabo and use it for pike and muskie mainly, but hopfully I'll be using it in saltwater soon!

Woody
05-20-2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the replies!...The Abu holds 275 yards of 60lb Braid so i'll fill it right up when it arrives, the reel has has good reviews so i'm happy with it (i've just got to work out how to get the line on now and work out the drag and everything as it's the 1st one i've ever had and haven't a clue about the workings!) What do you call a Saltwater Reel then over there, over here it is a Multiplier!

cbiegel
05-20-2010, 10:51 AM
While I haven’t used that specific model, I have four round style Abu reels and LOVE them. They are all basically the same internally just with different gear ratios and free spool mechanisms. I’d take a look at the drag stack when you get it. Abu has started putting carbon fiber drag washers in it’s US reels but if that’s not what they are using in the UK you might want to think about upgrading to them. It’s certainly not critical but it will increase the drag power while also making it smoother (I like to add drag grease as well but that’s another topic). If you have any questions I can probably walk you through the the entire reel.

We would call that reel a round style “baitcaster” or if not suitable for casting it would be a “conventional” reel. Just giving you a hard time before :)

Woody
05-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks again, ive got the Reel and it weighs a ton compared to my Spinning Reels!