PDA

View Full Version : Floro mainline

cbiegel
06-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I had said earlier that I was trying out using floro as my main line on a few reels this season (I normally only use it as a leader). Well itís early in the season but I have noticed a couple things already. It seems to work well on my baitcasters for all types of subsurface baits (crankbaits, spinnerbaits, swimbaits, soft plastics, etc).

The problem I ran into was when I was trying to use a float to dangle small tubes for crappies and other panfish. I knew in my mind that Floro sinks but I didnít realize just how fast. It was difficult to control a float & fly type bait with almost all the line underwater. The current pulled the line and when you started to reel the float would move in unexpected directions because the line had to be first pulled up out of the water. I would think the same problems would occur with bait under a float and perhaps even surface baits that arenít being moved quickly.

Clive
06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Pretty interesting - I was thinking about spooling up with some fluro myself...

raf
06-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I think using fluoro for a mainline has very limited applications. I know the bass/walleye guys like it for drop-shotting but other than that I've heard nothing but complaints - tangles, unmanageable when coming off a spinning reel due to the stiffness. Baitcasters are a different story.

Braid works really well while float fishing since it stays atop the surface and you won't get the issues you described. You could get away with super thin line for panfish. Other than that, plain ole' mono - nothing wrong with it at all.

Fluoro is for leaders, IMO.

Clive
06-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the info Raf - and thanks for joining! - I've linked your site a few times here...

cbiegel
06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah, lesson learned. I have already swapped out the spool for the extra one which has braid.

raf
06-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Hahah, yeah I've seen it in the logs Clive. :good:

Clive
06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
I figured you had :)

jwm
06-02-2010, 11:16 PM
What weight and diameter are you using? And if you don't mind me asking what brand?

cbiegel
06-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Stren Fluorocast 15lb 0.015" 0.38 mm

I've also got it on two baitcasters and am loving it there.