PDA

View Full Version : get me into fly fishing

ctom
09-09-2010, 04:53 PM
i would LOVE to learn how to fly fish,so do you guys think you could give me hand picking out a starter kit and stuff? if you don't think starter kits are the way to go, then please, recommend me all the parts, i have no idea what i'm getting myself into. I'll probably be fishing exclusively for bass/panfish.

PS: if you know of any particularly useful online tutorials, i'd love those too

jwm
09-09-2010, 05:37 PM
You can't even afford flyfishing advice :haha:

In all seriousness Ive been trying to build a pike/musky fly fishing setup for over a year, tough to save up the money for some of that gear very expensive.

Woody
09-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Fly Fishing = 'Going To The Darkside' :sarcastic:

ctom
09-09-2010, 07:32 PM
yeah hahaha i understand the expense, i think i'm gonna pick up one of these just as a jumping off point:

http://buy.scientificanglers.com/fly-fishing-outfits/bass-fly-fishing-outfit-kit.html

excellent reviews, and i'm not shelling out big bucks for something i don't know if i'll be into

Clive
09-09-2010, 09:39 PM
You can find similar setups to the Scientific Angler at Walmart for under $100. If you have a few more bucks to spare, hit up the nearest fishing shop and see what they can do for you. Should should be able to get a good starter set for $150-$200 and most shops.

KenReece
09-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I think starting of with a set like you linked is the perfect way to start. I've seen a few of my friends go this route. If you do end up enjoying it you will end up wanting the good stuff, and this is where it gets expensive. If you don't like it much, you don't have much money invested and can still use that set up on rare occasions you do want to throw a fly.

Just understand you are getting into a 'religion' type of fishing, like Woody said "once you go to the dark side you never look back".

Good luck.

pierre
09-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Hi
Don't worry that dark side isn't that dark and when we are speaking of fly fishing we are speaking of very different kind way of fishing. You can't compare fishing with nymphing, dry trout fishing wet fly and the use of big fly lures for pike, perch or sea bass. Those last kind of fishing are really similar to lure fishing.
The kind of kit that you are showing is a good start to go for pike and perch in shallow water . A fly line WF is the best to start and to throw big lures but if you 've never learned to cast properly don't use too big flies or take a big hat.
To start it's better to use hooks smaller than 0 and not too heavy buck tails lures are easy to cast because they don't have any resistance in the air popper and slider needs a bit more time to be cast properly.
Perch are really funny to start fly fishing because they are quite aggressive and they ll make you understand how to retrieve you line and to make it attractive.
You can also go for walleye fishing with floating fly and a diving flying line but it's also a bit difficult.

and if you enjoy it you ll try to go for Fly Tying and that's a great feeling to catch fish with something coming directly from your imagination.

Pierre

cbiegel
09-13-2010, 03:26 PM
I've got a pretty nice setup from Orvis but I've never really been able to get into fly fishing. Maybe if I get out to lake Ontario with my buddy (who is a part-time guide in Alaska) I'll ask him to give me some pointers and it will make the experience more enjoyable for me.

Arizona Fishermen
12-04-2010, 10:40 AM
I would just get a nice Orvis pole that you can still tape a small spin cast to near the top of the grip to trow our spinners and castmasters. Then just get a cheap reel and some decent line so you can throw out some flies if there not taking the lure that day. Thats about as far into fly fishing as I go. Fly fishing for bass can be a blast.

Arizona Fishing (http://www.hookedaz.com/)