PDA

View Full Version : Sufix 832 vs. Power Pro for Toronto Area Fishing

photo_rob
04-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Hey Guys,
I've been reading this forum for a while, and even got out to the island last year to give it a go with a buddy. It was mid July, and we were probably expecting a little too much, but we did get into a few tiny bass and perch.

I was just in the states and was fishing braid for the first time and absolutely love the sensitivity etc. I'm going to get rid of the Trilene Sensation 10lb that's on my reel, I think it holds way too much memory and stretches and kinks - it was a pain to use last year.

What I'm wondering is what line would you go with for Toronto area fishing (pike, bass, etc on the island and at grenadier and other areas) on a spinning reel and 7ft medium rod? The reel is an Abu Garcia Cardinal 102i and is rated for mono between 6 and 10lb.

I guess I was listening to too many of those fishing shows and went out and bought an entirely too heavy 40lb spool of Sufix 832. I think the 50 and 60lb braid weights they tell you to use is based on a baitcaster in heavy roughage. I returned the 40# but all they had left was 30# so I got that in the meantime.

So my options which I currently have are:
Sufix 832, 30lb (8lb mono equiv, .011" diameter)
Power Pro 20lb (6lb mono equiv, .009" diameter)
Power Pro 10lb (2lb mono equiv, 0.006" diameter)

I'm leaning towards the Power Pro 20lb and leaving the heavy stuff for later trips to Nippissing, muskeye and bigger pike fishing etc. It's a tough call because from what I hear the Sufix 832 is the better line...too bad I couldn't find it in 10 or 20lb test.

I know all of them would spool up fine with their equiv. mono diameters, but I'd like to not muscle every small bass or panfish out of the water, but also be prepared for a big island pike if that comes along.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Clive
04-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Either Sufix 832, 30lb (8lb mono equiv, .011" diameter) or Power Pro 20lb (6lb mono equiv, .009" diameter). I rarely use under 30lb braid now - sure it may not be as sporting, but I havent lost a good size fish in years!

jwm
04-09-2011, 01:04 AM
Either Sufix 832, 30lb (8lb mono equiv, .011" diameter) or Power Pro 20lb (6lb mono equiv, .009" diameter). I rarely use under 30lb braid now - sure it may not be as sporting, but I havent lost a good size fish in years!

Agreed, the thinner diameter stuff has a tendency to get twisted and tangled if its not put on the spool tightly.

I've yet to try the Suffix 832, but I might spool it onto one of my baitcasters this year

photo_rob
04-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Agreed, the thinner diameter stuff has a tendency to get twisted and tangled if its not put on the spool tightly.

I've yet to try the Suffix 832, but I might spool it onto one of my baitcasters this year

Thanks for the replys.
The one thing I've heard about the Power Pro is that the knots slip apparently.

The reviews have been solid on the Sufix 832, and I think I'll go with that as well. Even though 30 sounds big, I guess the 8lb mono diameter is what I'll go by. I figure if the baitcaster guys are using 50# and 60#, I guess I can get away with 30# on the spinning reel.

I might tie on a fluoro leader if need be.

Anyone going fishing this weekend, weather is supposed to be 15 degrees tomorrow but with Pike closed I wonder if it's even worth going out, or a good idea at all.

jwm
04-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't think I've ever had problems with knots slipping on powerpro. That said, I always burn the tip of the line after my knot. It creates a "bubble" that's hard and cant be pulled back through the knot. But I can't ever recall that "bubble" moving on me either.

The temperature and conditions right now are pretty good, if the water temperature is rising as well you might find some pike. Rain has never really been a problem for pike in my experience.

TransientAngler
04-10-2011, 04:42 PM
When tying your knots make sure you give it a good test before chucking it. Knots slipping is as a result of not fully tightening before you throw it. If you have tied a good knot and tested it then you should never have this problem. Nothing wrong with a good line yank before tossing into your favorite hole. :)