PDA

View Full Version : Algonquin Park Trip [MAY 24]

jwm
05-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Hey guys, I'll be heading back out to Algonquin park this weekend for another portage trip, should be another awesome trip if the weather gets straightened out. Otherwise we might be portaging through a lot of mud, or might skip the big portages all together. Anyone else with cool plans for this May 24 weekend?

Picked up a new tent this year as well, last year I used a cheap Canadian Tire tent I borrowed. But this year I'm rocking a beautiful North Face Rock 22 that I picked up for under 200 bucks at Al Flaherty's Outoor Store (http://www.alflahertys.com/) right by my house.

cbiegel
05-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Isn't May 24th a Tuesday? ;)

That looks like a nice personal tent. Are you guys going to be in canoes or kayaks?

jwm
05-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Yes, May 24 is a tuesday. I will be gone from friday to monday. We are canoeing again, but this time I think we're going to try and catch some fish!

jfx
05-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey guys, I'll be heading back out to Algonquin park this weekend for another portage trip, should be another awesome trip if the weather gets straightened out. Otherwise we might be portaging through a lot of mud, or might skip the big portages all together. Anyone else with cool plans for this May 24 weekend?

Picked up a new tent this year as well, last year I used a cheap Canadian Tire tent I borrowed. But this year I'm rocking a beautiful North Face Rock 22 that I picked up for under 200 bucks at Al Flaherty's Outoor Store (http://www.alflahertys.com/) right by my house.

Sweet tent. I live two seconds from Al's, small world. I'm heading there to pick up a new tent too, looking for a light 3 person, so the wife and I have a little space, but can still portage with it.
Enjoy your camping trip, I'm heading up to Eganville area to help a friend open up his cottage, going to get in some walleye fishing.

jwm
05-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Sweet tent. I live two seconds from Al's, small world. I'm heading there to pick up a new tent too, looking for a light 3 person, so the wife and I have a little space, but can still portage with it.
Enjoy your camping trip, I'm heading up to Eganville area to help a friend open up his cottage, going to get in some walleye fishing.

Small world indeed! If you take the dufferin or rogers bus frequently you'll probably see me, feel free to say hello. I think Al's had a few nice light weight eureka tents that could fit three people. They're decent tents too, my friend has one that's quite nice and has a tarpaulin that he puts all his gear behind so it stays nice and dry as well.

My tent is only 50" wide, so it can fit one person comfortably. Or two people that are very comfortable with each other :lol:

jwm
05-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Weather looks promising! :scared:

jfx
05-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Small world indeed! If you take the dufferin or rogers bus frequently you'll probably see me, feel free to say hello. I think Al's had a few nice light weight eureka tents that could fit three people. They're decent tents too, my friend has one that's quite nice and has a tarpaulin that he puts all his gear behind so it stays nice and dry as well.

My tent is only 50" wide, so it can fit one person comfortably. Or two people that are very comfortable with each other :lol:

the eureka tent is what we had our sights on, so it's good to hear that they are decent. I'm needing the size factor, i'm 6' 3", so i think the tent is like 7' 6" in length, keep me away from the sides, keep the moisture out.

enjoy your weekend, i got my fingers crossed for good weather, and I will def say hi if I see you.

Woody
05-19-2011, 03:12 AM
Do you have the pop up tents that you just throw in the air and they land ready to peg down and that's it?...Yours should be nice and dry if it's a double skin.

jwm
05-19-2011, 11:59 AM
They do sell those popup tents in canada but I've never personally used one. I dont know what their weight ratio is like or if they make them all-season ready.

jwm
05-25-2011, 08:20 PM
I didn't take many photos on my trip, but I took these two awesome panoramic photos from the campsite we stayed in. One from the first night and the second from the next morning on Burnt Island Lake. The last photo in one of them was corrupt for some reason, so it's a little shorter than the other.

Death Roe Romeo
05-26-2011, 04:00 PM
how did the fishing go?

jwm
05-28-2011, 02:37 PM
We caught one small catfish, and that was it. Unfortunately for me one of the guys with us carried my rods on the final portage of the day and left them on the bank without telling me... So I lost two rods and two reels.. Not the greatest weekend ever, but the guys going to at least buy me 1 new rod and reel. The ones I took were pretty old and beat up so I wasn't going to be too upset if they got lost or damaged, but to not even have gotten the chance to use them was really shitty.

I think smallmouth opens on our next trip in June, so I should be able to catch something then, and I'm still working for my first lake trout!

TransientAngler
05-28-2011, 05:21 PM
I have the magic lure for lakers :)
http://outdoorcanada.ca/8822/gear/tackle/lake-trout-tacklebox
When they suggest taking the sucker meat and wrapping it to the bottom of the Banana bait I would suggest otherwise. You need to replace the back treble forsure but not with another lighter treble. You need to throw a J hook that matches the size banana bait you are using and add another Oring so as to make the back J hook's point face upwards. Then take the sucker strip(can be any strip of meat-even a hole anchovy) and thread it on the back hook. If you are using belly meat then place the hook through the harder cartiledge of the pectoral fins.
The action is going to be ridiculous on the bait. the banana bait goes one way and the meat the other. like an S pattern. Its irresistible to lakers.
You rig this up with a normal three way rig and use a stop and go technique allowing for the bait to kinda speed up and then drop. When checking your bait reel it slow and watch for followers. This is a guaranteed to work presentation that i have proven to many non believers. I have guided 3 fish over 45 lbs with this technique. Sorry I dont have any pics of the rig.

jwm
05-29-2011, 03:50 PM
TransientAngler, thanks for the tip, I've never thought of doing that by replacing the hook. Ive got some nice spoons and stuff, but I'd probably need some much biggers ones for this to work. I'll try to give it a shot in june if I can.

cbiegel
05-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Man, those pictures are amazing. It's a shame you didn't much fishing in but I sounds like yuo have to focus on covering water. Perhaps in the future you could plan a trip that was a little shorter and more fishing focused. I guess that would depend on your friends and their inclinations.

jwm
05-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Well the focus shifted to sending the other guys back to the last portage the next morning to try and find my rods. After that we decided to stay in the same place again that night. Overall the trip wasn't as hardcore as the first trip we did. But the crazy thunderstorm we had to paddle back through on the last day was pretty intense.