PDA

View Full Version : Got a New Rod and Reel!

David Blaine
05-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Hey guys, I was looking around Bass Pro Shops yesterday, and I came across a nice spinning combo from Shimano called the "Sidestab".

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/Sidestab.image.-familyImage-Single-image.dash.512.384.gif

Ended up picking up the Sidestab and some Spiderwire Stealth braided line, and getting a hot pink Ugly Stick for the girlfriend (Fishing chicks are hot!). What do you guys think of the Sidestab? I am no professional, and catch a wide variety of fish, of many shapes and sizes. I think it was a good all around choice.

Next thing up is a baitcast combo. I was baffled at the selection of baitcast combos and want to buy one of those next. I was looking at the Browning product and it felt really good. Any suggestions on baitcast combos? (medium/low price range)

Dave

jwm
05-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Nice reel, they could have given it a better name though. Sidestab is just a wierd name.

Both shimano and quantum have very nice offerings at the entry level for baitcasters, and even BPS's own brand has a few nice reels.

Clive
05-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Its a solid reel...mostly...

I had one from Walmart several years back and I think it was a lemon or someone dropped it a few times before I bought it. Anyway, it only lasted a few months until it literally fell apart! The center pin taht holds he spool broke off and fell apart during a cast. I'm sure Shimano would have replaced it, but I never bothered to try for some reason.

But when it wasn't broken, it was great!

David Blaine
05-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Well, I hope it doesn't fail like yours did. And damn, they sell it at Wal-Barf? Shit, maybe I should have researched this more before I bit on it. Oh well. Heading up to Kennebec Lake this weekend for some Pike action.

Dave

Clive
05-15-2009, 06:38 PM
They dont have it at every Walmart. I think I got it from the Square one location. Some Walmarts have an awful selection of fishing gear, some are decent though. The Walmarts in the USA have and INCREDIBLE selection. I went to one outside of Atlanta, GA and they must have had 4 isles of fishing gear!