Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Serious Fly Fishing Setup

I'm thinking about getting a fly fishing setup this year, I'd like to get something decent and rugged. Something that could handle pike, including those big ones in Little Vermilion, and even some saltwater abuse. The trouble is I don't know much about fly fishing gear, and I don't think I'm looking for your average setup..

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

Re: Serious Fly Fishing Setup

Sage makes a beautiful rod Jon. If you want to manhandle big pike I would recommend at least an 8 weight rod if not a nine. There is a flyshop on Queen Street , wilsons I think was the name. Anyways they had a really nice selection of high end rods and reels and were very knowledgeable too.

You may want to pick up a cheaper st croix fly combo in a 4 or 6 weight to learn how to cast with. That rod could also be doubled as a bass/walleye/trout rod and are a decent entry level combo.

Then you will need to buy a vice and all the supplies to start tying your own flies. Kiss the savings good bye. It can get to be really expensive depending on how into it you get. All I have been tying are wooly buggers and poppers for bass and hair jigs for the walleye and trout. Cheap and easy to tie.

Heading out to a park or school and using a large field to first learn to cast is recommended. I learned in a large parking lot behind the tackle shop. Takes a bit to get used to "loading" the rod but you will see improved casting on all your setups once you learn this tecnique.

Thanks

GO with an 8 weight so you can battle some tarpon when the time comes!

Thanks

Clive that's what I was thinking about..

Thanks

For King Salmon, I use a number 11 Ugly Stick (under $50.00) with a number 10 Okuma reel ($75.00). It's a bit big for non-flowing waters, but for fast rivers it get them in. For Pike, Coho, and most Rainbows I use a number 7.
    I spent a day fishing with an orvis reel attached to a Sage rod #7 this past summer and I was impressed. The reel had an adjustable drag wheel located on the left hand side. Very cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails king 1.jpg  

Thanks

Now THATS a beautiful salmon!

Thanks

Agreed Beauty Fish!!

Thanks

If there is an Ugly Stik fly rod I'm totally up for that. I've never had an Ugly Stik I didn't like. My first real spinning rod I got when I was a kid was an Ugly Stik, and I still have it and use it to this day.

I was looking around Bass Pro Shops website, and the reels I like are pretty damn expensive. Some outrageously so!

So does power pro make fly line yet?

Thanks

Shakespeare makes big water fly rods. An 8/9, 10, and 11/12 weight.
    My 11 works great for King Salmon but is way too big for anything under 30 lbs.
    My favorite fly rod is a hand-me-down Eagle Claw #7 my Dad gave me 20 years ago.
    My advise is buy the (somewhat) cheap stuff until your skill level dictates otherwise.
    A lamiglas #7 combo is not a bad choice for starting out although if you have the cash buy a Sage.

Thanks

Are the Shakespeare rods multiple pieces? And any recommendations on reels? It should be saltwater prepared, of course Ill do my best to clean it off as much as possible. Honestly I know nothing about fly fishing, so any information on lines, tippets etc, is all welcome.