Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks

Re: casting reels vs spinning reels

Me too, although i didn't have a problem on Sega Bass Fishing when the handle was on the wrong side, the Reel was on the right side instead of the left! :sarcastic:

Thanks

Use what feels right to you all way around...

Theres no sense in reeling in with your strong hand and casting with your week hand . you want to be able to leverage a strike and make a solid connection...

I personally run left hand retrieve reels and cast with my right .... i guess its more simple for me because this has always been the way i fish. Strong arm should always be your controlling factor on your rod . You want to drive that hook home otherwise your wasting your time.

now on a flip side , i will use spinning tackle on my jerkbaits , flukes etc.. because i want to be able to snap the rod and twitch the bait which i find to be WAAAAAAAYYYY easier on spinning tackle anything with a downward motion will feel better on spinning tackle ... your arm will not tire ..

On casting i throw anything i typically twich upwards , this way again the motion and the way you hold your rod will be easier to twich up hoding from the bottom side of the rod ... your arm will last much longer and you can spend more time on the water seeking out those monsters ..

tubes and jigs are the exception - those i will throw with spinning tackle because 1 you want to have a more forgiving rod which wont rip the hook out of their mouth and also increased sensitivity. 2 Twitching upwards on this presentation typically doesnt drain your arm because its a slow slow move along the bottom...

thats pretty simple .. as to left or right hand retreive use whats comfortable but you would generally use your strong arm for casting , some people will use a right hand retrieve reel , cast with their right hand and flip over ... i find that unnessesary and annoying ... you'll be glade to have that switched up , or at the very least try it out ...

i know theres some brands which dont get left handed models for casting gear , typically most will have some like quantum and shimano .... if you check out those new curado casting reels or even the citica ( i step down about $50 cheaper ) you will be definetly impressed by the way these things work....

tight lines

Thanks

Hi I'm right handed and i bought a a casting reel ten years ago in France afther two weeks i just gave up it was to difficult for me to reel with my right and and my cast were all the tim too short to strong and never on the spot i was aiming :angry2:. I think i ll buy a new one in the next few monthe but that ll be definitely a left handed reel...

Thanks

a good friend of mine bought me a diawa zillion real the handle was on the opposite side im used to. and at first i couldn't get the hang of it but after a week in canada fishing 10-15 hrs a day i am finally used to casting with my right and switching hands. it is now my favorite rod for pike. just give it some time, if you look at the pros most of them switch hands. after awhile you don't even know you are doing it.

Thanks

Just because you CAN get used to it, doesn't mean you SHOULD!

Thanks

Yes I ll give it a try; it's just that i was 16 years old and i was feeling way more confortable with a spinning reel. i ll try again but with a left handed one. But when you are used to a spinning reel it's kind of difficult to start from the very begining as if you haven't ever cast a lure.lol
    Pierre

Thanks

clive i totally agree. when i went to pick out the reel they only had right crank reels although they could order a left. i asked several of the workers at cabela's and buy the end of the day they had me talked into a right hand crank reel they said that is the way all the pro's do it. and i checked it out the majority do switch hands. although immediately i was unhappy. but i stuck with it and love the reel and rod my buddy got for me and will use it as my first choice for pike.

Thanks

Yeah, itís absolutely more ďtraditionalĒ with casting reels to cast with your right hand (if you are right handed) and then switch the rod to your left. All three of my casting reels are like this because it didnít occur to me to get a reel made for a left-handed person. After reading the feedback here Iím going to get a left-handed reel next time.

Thanks

Lefty is the way to go, why bother wasting those precious seconds switching hands. That could translate to 100 more casts after a 12-16 hour day on the water. Nevermind the gimpy action you're probably putting on your baits
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

:agree: :good: