Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks
    On 11/02/2011:

New start at 07:30. The conditions have deteriorated further under a NE wind, lack of balance does not make fishing very comfortable. The game starts correctly; Philip brings a GT to the boat on his first pitch near Inglish Island. It will take some time for a fish is again out of the water, I'll come back in a GT Dumbell 200.

On 12/02/2011:

We start f1:00pm in font of our Guest House where we join our two fishing friends. There is some fish activity and mount on our lures, Philippe released a nice blue.
    A good aperitif, a good restaurant, and the day is over.

On 13/02/2011:

We find our favourite boat for a day bringing us towards Inglish Island. Off, we find a bench rifle when we touch a lot of fish.
    Pierrot left a lure on a big one.
    We move to position ourselves on the other side of the island. Karmen will caught a nice trevally black. Philippe links two GT and butter fish, as for me, I'm happy to leave the Magic Pop a GT, then a blue, coral trout, then as the fish were really struggling to rise to the surface so far, a red carp, grouper and a small two new coral trout including a nice, all with a plunging Hiro.
    I picked a nice GT on the end of the day.
    In the evening, we will taste a butter fish and the most beautiful coral trout. I had never eaten these fish is excellent!

Today I have completely missed the tempo. I break and have to redo my setup, so that the activity in full swing on the boat. Finally my assembly is redesigned and launched the first is the key. I am properly cut the line after thirty seconds.
    The day and rather quiet activity can we pass a plate, Nicolas decided to mount a diving lure. First launched decoy looked really hard to retrieve. It really pulls the flap. Normal small coral trout has swallowed the bait.

Thanks
    On 14/02/2011:

Rest day, this time we really leave Havelock. Last day in the presence of Philip and Catherine. Their presence we will have contributed much to this first part of stay.

"Cooking" in the sun.

On 15/02/2011:

We get up early to go to Neil, we have lunch one last time accompanied by Karmen and Philip, and then going to take our tickets for a departure at 10:00am.

Arrival to Neil Island, this island is really amazing I'm completely lost, we do feel in India any more it is too quiet.

The island seems small enough to ride a bike but after a quick glance at the racing machines we can déchantons these bikes are suited to our size. We test these same machines when running after a few minutes pedal bike Nico pops and we begin to have doubts about the possibilities of one day having kids.

After a day with virtually no fishing I can not wait to resume our lures.

We arrived at 12:00 and find a very different island of Havelock, much smaller, more authentic, with far fewer tourists. We go to a Guest House in North West Island, near to a sandy spit. The tourists here are mostly Indians and some good hippie "damaged" occupy the island. The Guest is 1000 Rps night, we take it anyway because the capacity of this island is not very important, and we wanted to be near the sea in the past, some people have to wait sleeping on the beach or in a hammock until a place becomes available.
    We begin by looking for a mode of transport for us to make various items, the rickshaw is very present here. Blistering heat, and after renting bikes and found the little town center (where Pierrot will devour some eyes by Anita), we start exploring the area around the guest cane in hand.
    On the coast, a peaceful dugong passes twenty feet from us
    The sand spit near our guest house is a place where indian tourists come to admire the sunset. It's high tide and we can’t go elsewhere, too bad we will fish in front of 30 tourists, dozens of photos are taken of two fishermen in front of a sunset.
    The sun on the horizon, I pick up a GT, now the fan club behind us vibrates at the twist of my rods, and is disappointed at the stall. As usual, funds are difficult with many clumps of dead coral.
    A few minutes later I suffered a great attack after launching on my Surface Bull. The Indians are a people quite excited, and the crowd behind me hallucinate a little ... I hear screams and the beginning of a huge photo and video begin! The GT does not let it go and take a current, it take me few minutes to land it in a hail of flashbulbs. When landed, an "filmmaker" amateur even manages to pass between the lure, and my rod is a round of applause.
    Some even later try to take the bait while I was casting.
    When I landed the fish, some try to buy it. I hear "Two Hundred Rouppe" and then to my lack of reaction, "Three Hundred Rouppe" ...
    While releasing, new cheers, more measured, because they are surprised that this fish is released.

I think we can start a career in Bollywood!

The story: After a few attacks at night, I warn Pierrot that it was my last cast. Superb attack, with 4 meters of wire out and 50cm of water, the feelings are strong, a new GT is put on shore after a big fight.
    The day is over we are happy with the first hour of fishing on Neil despite the number of tourists on this post at sunset.

First night in a hammock under guard.

Thanks
    On 16/02/2011:

We are preparing to go fishing when a local comes up to me and asked if he could come with us and shows us a few positions. His name is Deelip and he really nice guys. We start fishing heading for Natural Beach. Only a blue trevally will be taken, but the scenery is magnificent. We walk to the first through a mangrove swamp rock, then on rough terrain composed of volcanic rock before reaching an area of ​​"coral graveyard."
    The sun is directly above us and we decide to take a break.
    In the evening we give a shot on the same spot as the day before. I will get a nice coral trout.
    We did not hit much that day, but we enjoyed a lot. Neil Island is much quieter than its neighbour Havelock, and it suits me better.

coconut crab race

Surly critters! That’s blood ...

Thanks
    On 17/02/2011:

At 6:00 we are fishing for a nice cover. My arm loose and I could resume my stick the day.
    In the evening, Deelip we found a canoe to 3500Rps the day we reserve for 19/02.

On 18/02/2011:

The rats are starting to get on my nerves ... I'm not really embarrassed to share the bed with them, but their battles wake me up a dozen times a night. They even manage to fight on the bed, 15 cm above my head ... I tell myself that when I am accustomed to their sound, they will not bother me over (as long as they do not want to taste the Normand!) . We can not keep any food. Even cigarette packs enclosed fall prey to the hungry. We come to understand why we lost so many packets of fags.
    No fishing today, my arm does not allow it and I prefer to preserve tomorrow. The heat is oppressive. However, we find the courage for a snorkeling session. The seabed is completely degraded here is a graveyard of coral. A regular on the island tells us that the decline in fish populations over 1 year is very important. It is estimated that 1 year, this population has decreased a minimum of 75/100.
    In the evening we go to the restaurant, 7 guests are present, so we are told that we ll have to wait at list 2hours.

On 19/02/2011:

Deelip joins us for this day boat, to our great joy because it is very nice.
    We take a rickshaw and arrive at 7:15 at the point of rendezvous. This is a boat originally designed for snorkeling, with a plexiglass plate in the middle to watch the seabed. It is not very stable, and fishing will be difficult. It is already limited to one fisherman, with its floor impractical and a roof over ¾ of the surface. The engine is a Yamaha 9x9. The skipper takes us on Little Neil Island.
    After an hour's drive, we arrived on the coast of this island and we are excited to see so much activity with large schools of fusiliers. We try many lures and spoons, sometimes we see a lot of kingfish to follow, but nothing works!
    We end up changing fishing grounds and leave the fusiliers here ...
    We advance of 3-400 meters to place us on a new position, the fish obviously do not want get on our poppers. The Fusiliers are always present, always hunted and we always frustrated. I finally put a sinking minnow.
    The boat is once again anchored (damn it ...). After a struggle complicated by the anchore and the instability of the boat, I land a fish of 18-20kg.
    Our guides decided to positions us on the southeast of the island. The anchor is again in water. Our three companions took the opportunity to get out to fish some reef fish that I can not identify.
    Pierrot missed a first fish on an orion spoon, unfortunately it escaped.
    A few minutes later, he caught a coral trout that we keep for the evening.
    Around 1:00 pm we decide to return to the first area, where we had left large schools of fusiliers, sometimes bright yellow, sometimes a beautiful turquoise colour.
    Poppers didn’t worked, despite numerous follow-ups, fish do not type the lure. I think they should be force fed.
    For the 4-5th time that day, I am giving a chance to Baby Runbow (pink) in a water 3-4 meters deep. My lure has been caught watching Pierrot breaking a new school of fish turquoise. I tighten my brake a little more,(12.8kg verified later). Nonetheless, the brake keeps on singing, and my Waiefu start to bend dangerously. Pierrot surrounded me, because I was in a really unstable position. I still did not understand that I had a GT at the end of the line. She eventually returned to the boat right and Pierrot asked a dozen times that the crew remove the anchor.
    The GT surfaced ten meters in front of the boat, It was taken by the stomach, with difficulty, we finally land this Ignobilis of 30 Kg.
    To our disappointment, she died a few seconds after being landed.
    This trevally and another taken in the day were given to Deelip, we were then told that his salary of handyman / cook was 3000Rps/mois reported, the sale of these fish equivalent for him to 6 weeks pay ... (The salary of the manager of the Guest house where we were was around 6000Rps or 97 euros per month). To give you an account, resale, the GT is 80Rps / kg, 250 for grouper, 400Rps for coral trout and 700Rps for lobster. I am someone who releases as often as possible, but in these conditions ...

After this catch, we go back to Neil, nice kingfish came furiously typing our poppers finally attractive. A big grouper jump on Pierrot lure, but this fish managed to regain the rocks ...
    We decide to re-rent a boat two days later.

It was 3:00 p.m. when we go back and refreshed at the bar.
    We start fishing on the coast half an hour before sunset. Pierrot then take one after an other a little tuna, 1 garfish, 2 barracuda, 1 nice blue trevally, all with a Surface Bull in less than 20 cast! As for me, nothing except a huge stir when I pulled the lure of the water.
    The day ends around a superb meal of coral trout, which would certainly have fed 6 people but we will finish it with the help of a charming Italian girl.

Appraisal: hard to move the boat. Given the lack of responsiveness I become very directive and request for the anchor to be removed immediately and try to position the boat to facilitate the fight of Nicolas with his trevally. This fish is hard to land I can not grasp the tail with a single hand she is too broad. I have to release the leader to grasp and properly climb it aboard.

Thanks
    On 20/02/2011:

Pierrot gets up early morning he has seen a lot of activity with hunting rifle very close to the edge ... As for me, I have not managed to get up ...
    We only have a few days more on the Andamans, we believe we‘ll stay there, unless the boat does not match to go back to Port Blair (4 boats per week).
    Pierrot had to keep an injured fish, a blue trevally who had deeply eat the lure. By late morning, Pierrot and Deelip prepared a carpaccio, to the astonishment of a seamstress who does not understand that one can eat raw fish.
    Rats start to make the nights difficult, at least if they were rodents ...
    We head for Natural Beach. The Fusiliers are near the edge but we do not come out until night. Just one or two climbs ...
    We return, the restaurant is closed, finally, thankfully we had a trevally, we eat it raw, we're running out of lemons ... not bad at all accompanied with rum.

Thanks
    On 21/02/2011:

We ship at 8:00 for a difficult day cause of intensity of the sun and heat, not a bit of wind, not a bench rifleman. We return to Little Neil Island.
    Starting a big guitar ray passes under the boat, I'd never seen one before. We changed of boat today, it is a little more practical and has a 40HP engine.
    Pierrot landed a GT arround 14-15kg on a K-ten. The fish are tough now, and we will touch on shortly.
    We have also seen a dugong, an encounter with this animal always nice.
    Pierrot completes this part of fishing with a blue trevally taken jigging.
    We want to make our crew understand that we do not want the damn anchor. At each stop, their first instinct is to put it in water. They shall obey all every time with a wide smile, then return to the water a few minutes after rising. Too bad ... they are not fishing guides and have never touched a rod, no probs but I admit it's a bit frustrating.

In the evening, a small fishing session on board, but no fish caught, the lure of Pierrot been attacked, but the fish will kept with him the Surface Bull. Difficult to fish the edge with these rugged funds.

On 22/02/2011:

We decide to spend the day on a stretch of coast south-east of the island spotted by boat the previous day.
    The wind is up a bit, N-O area. If we have not seen a lot of activity throughout the day, we were able to catch some fish. After half an hour, I'll make a nice coral trout. We will continue this day with a GT and a blue one on a Surface Bull. The weight of these fish was not very high but the profile of this part of the coast is difficult with a good flow and pleasure from these outlets is important.

Thanks
    On 23/02/2011:

Today, rest day, and I needed it. I get up and would not leave my book you reading the end.
    Pierrot get a serious toothache and we decide to start fishing at 16:00. I spent half the time to get my fishing rod handle of which remain at the bottom of the Andaman Sea.
    I'm happy because I made my first red carp from shore. (Surface Bull)

That evening, we agree with Deelip around an "ethanol" we rent the boat the next day. We were offered to leave at 4:00 am, 06:00 or 08:00. We agree to a departure at 06:00.

On 24/02/2011:

We are standing at 05:00 and expect the Rickshaw under 5:45. At 6:15, he arrives telling us that the boat could not leave before 07:30 am, because of ... the tide; the boat had not been moved the day before. Once there, we see that this time we wouldn’t leave before 09:00 ... Superb Indian organization, as usual, but it does not matter ...

We'll have to wait a bit ...

One hour later ...

The wind is strong today; Pierrot asked the crew if it is really possible to go to sea today. They are confident, that does not reassure us.
    We are rapidly quenched; the waves are more than 1.50m high for a boat already unstable. We can not get away from Neil Island and will be limited to a small area protected from the wind ...
    The first area we discover a lot of activity, spend a few kingfish in the boat without it can trigger an attack, they are always so difficult. 2-3 grouper ride on our lures and get a nice Pierrot (10kg?).
    After we hit some fish, I'd make a nice GT approximately 25kg after launch on a Dumble Pop 200 that will make me very happy.
    A little later, just after we anchored again, A fish seized my lure and gratifies me with a vertical jump over 1.50m.
    Tomorrow is the last part of fishing ...

Thanks
    On 25/02/2011:

Last full day on the Andaman, this trip has definitely gone very quickly.
    Pierrot got up early and is fishing at 05:00. As usual, I find more difficult and will not fly before 0730.
    At first, I did not miss much, but cover a lot of activity.
    We rent a bike to finish exploring this little island, and will make a final twist of the evening on the sand spit near our Guest House. Wearing a helmet is compulsory for men in India, not for women or for passengers ...
    Nothing to note until the last half hour of fishing we begin to touch some GT. Pierrot end the day by leaving a beautiful blue and then breaks away on a big (ouch, I think really big?) GT.
    The time goes back, I miss a fish.
    It's a shame to end a fishing trip on these failures, we will have to come back ...

Last shot of the evening for us.I definitely do not want to finish on a cover. A small blue finally visit me unfortunately she is injured. An Indian tourist wonder if there are fish in front of us and is about to go snorkelling under my line. I hold the rods and it was under that of Nicolas that he decide to dive despite two miles of beaches available...

Appraisal:

In the end we took a lot of fun during this trip, we didn’t catch very big fish, but we had not "score", we just pretend to have a good time, and it succeeded.
    We thought to make 3 different islands, we wanted to go north of the main island, and we could not do so due to time constraints, this is only a postponement.
    These islands are beautiful, but I am worried for their future, Havelock quickly changes and becomes a place where only the business account. In the short term, I think the death of corals will inevitably lead to a decline of the fish population, and a change in tourism activity. Until now, the economy relies on tourism related largely to snorkeling, we saw that many boats were formerly reserved exclusively for snorkeling diversify their activities and offer their service for fishing ... Local investors offer fishing trips for an audience of connoisseurs fishermen, and not just casual fishermen.
    Yet impossible to find in India, a store sells decoys on Havelock.

Thanks
    WOW! I'm at a loss for words after that... Truly the most epic report thread I think we've ever had.
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks
    Gotta be the longest report everIncredible photographsincredible Fishing trip all together, i never thought i was ever going to get to the endFantastic, welldone5 stars