Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks

toronto islands a test of desire

i have fished toronto islands for a few years....its urban fishing...there is not an abundance of fish...the fish are pressured...the enviromental factors of exposure to water contaminents from a large metropolis are at work ie road salt water run off...lots of boats..lots of foot traffic waterside...lots of construction waterside that affects the water clairity....
    all things considered there is still great fishing to be had....
    investment of time and effort for little or no return is a requirement in the learning process of urban fishing....learning the water terrain...fish habits...seasonal locations...weedbeds...baitfish locations....
    the reason the pike were not hitting your lures at the islands on june 17 was that on june 15 there was a full moon that brought in the channels of the island millions and millions of baitfish..perch..alewife...mooneye...smelt..i have never seen them so thick in concentration and numbers...the baitfish were there june15 and 16....pike were well fed by june17 as well many continued to pursue the schools of baitfish as they travelled along the harbourfront.
    so lunar cycles also messed with your june17 trip.
    fishing is not catching it is the ongoing pursuit of knowledge about your prey and its enviroment and satisfying the needs of your prey at that moment in time.
    you got to put in your time...and learn the patterns and habits and locations and enviro factors etc. and be patient yet hunger with passion and then you will be sucessfull.
    the islands are a sanctuary...i love to fish them even if at the end of the day i am tired, cold and empty handed.

Thanks
    Lol Tangledline... I know you from OFF. I have read a lot of your reports (truly amazing reports). Thanks a lot for the input, I had no clue that there are lunar effects on the bites. You are right, I saw abundant of bait fish on that day. Did you go for any bass yet?

Thanks
    yep...been hammering them....largies at the islands
    when you wrote your last reply i was on the niagara river fishing for smallies with kearney and henry waszczuk(fishing show producer and personality) tough day but we got a few...
    i want to fish more than i am but familybirthdays and work been chewing up my time
    in early june i caught an 18 pound pike in the lagoons at the islands....by luck i spotted it hunting baby ducks....
    so there are some good pike to be had at the islands....
    i take lots of lures that i can target multi species with...i do the rounds and target what i can find...
    sometimes its a multi species bonanza other times its a skunk...but at the islands this year i have not been skunked since ice out
    i have learned a bit this year as i had a couple bad outings last year where i forced myself into a skunk by being closed minded to fishing for only one species specifically....lesson learned.
    peace ...get out there as often as you can....fish with passion!
    Last edited by tangledline; 07-07-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks
    Fishing with Waszczuk eh? I didn't even know he was back up here from the US..
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks
    kearney had a fish trip planned with him...brought me along.....why was my last post removed?
    the one with pike pic.....the one you are responding to...did i do something wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tangledline View Post
    kearney had a fish trip planned with him...brought me along.....why was my last post removed?
    the one with pike pic.....the one you are responding to...did i do something wrong?
    Sorry seems to have gotten caught in our moderation filters. It's visible now.
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks
    Ha ha, that Pike's face !...He doesn't look happy that you interupted his hunting!

Thanks
    If you don't mind me asking.. what kind of bait do you catch bass on? Have you every tried the yamamoto senko? I know regular worm works great there. I went to lake scugog yesterday and caught two ridiculous 4-5 lbs LM bass on a 5" white senko.