Thanks

Fishing for the first time in a long time, need some advice on gear.

I fished growing up religiously. From the Humber River and a couple lousy spots on Lake Ontario, to Simcoe and Bass Lake. Not sure where I really got into fishing, as nobody I knew was passionate about it. I taught myself what I could and used all my grandfathers old equipment I had given to me. Long story short, I stopped fishing(but never stopped wanting to) for a good long time, and now, in my mid-20's, hope to be back at it.

Here is my plan. I want to pick up a half decent bait-caster, rod, fluorocarbon (for leader), braided line, some tackle and equipment. I am looking to spend about $70-$100 on a reel, and the same on a rod. I don't have unlimited money, and plan to build the collection as times goes on. So I am looking for an "all purpose" rod/reel combo for now.

I plan to fish Toronto Island, and various places around the GTA. Mainly for Bass and Pike. However, Bass and Pike are two different fish and I am not exactly sure what rod/reel/ would work well for both. Do I go for a 6 foot 6 medium action rod? A 7 foot medium action? Do I need a medium/heavy if I plan to catch pike or would a medium work? What #test should I snatch up for a good all purpose line. I was thinking braided equivalent of 20 or 30, but not sure.

This is what I am thinking for rod/reel. Not sure which reel to pick, I think the rod is good enough, but not sure what size to go for, or if it should be m/mh/h for bass and pike.

- 6'6, M, Abu Garcia Vendetta Trigger Rod:
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...umber=10203992

with

- Shimano Citica 200E baitcaster:
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...tNumber=102800

- Quantom Kevin VanDam signature series baitcaster:
    http://www.basspro.com/Quantum-Kevin...10407/-1760447

- Abu Garcia ORRA SX:
    http://www.basspro.com/Abu-Garcia-OR...08927/-1742646

Thanks for any help you guys can provide, as I am sure all of you are far more familiar with island fishing and what you get there then I am. Sorry for the wall of text, it's my first post, and I plan to be fairly active in the community.

Thanks
    Vendettas look like nice rods for the money for sure. As for the baitcaster that Shimano looks like a pretty sweet deal too.
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info.

I read quite a bit since submitting this thread for approval. I have decided to go with a 6 foot 6, medium/heavy Vendetta rod. from everything I read MH is a good all around action to have for a rod. So it will do well with Bass fishing, but will also handle a Pike or trout if I end up landing one.

Sure not 100 percent on the reel though.

I want to give Humber Bay Park a shot. But I have looked online and can't find any info from people who have actually fished there. Just that yes, you can fish at Humber Bay Park. Was hoping to do some shoreline Bass fishing and give out swimming jigs a shot.

Thanks
    I've fished humber bay park several times, caught a massive carp there once a long time ago, but I've also seen bass and pike there (they were out of season at the time so I didnt catch them).

Thanks
    Citicas are great reels. In terms of rods, I would try to find something that is atleast MH. From my experience, trying to toss heavy baits with a medium rod will get really hard, and if you're chucking lures for pike, you'll need that extra stiffness.

Thanks
    Appreciate the help guys.

I plan on spooling up some braid and using fluorocarbon as a leader. Say I use 50lb braid, I am honestly not sure what # I should use of fluorocarbon. Should I just try to match up the diameter?

Thanks
    If you're tying it on I would recommend 30/40# flourocarbon, I prefer Seaguar personally. They make one that has a hard cord and a soft exterior that helps with knots. You could go lighter of course, but I feel like the 30/40 pound range has so much more abrasion resistance for pike/musky. Definitely go with a lighter 10/20 pound one if youre fishing for bass.

I would recommend that you try tie a knot or two on the test line on the box go with the one you think you can tie the best.

Thanks
    Sorry for the slow reply! Like Jon said, 30-40# should be fine, I always play it safe and use a bit heavier though. My leaders are mostly 80# fluro. As for rods, if you didn't get one yet, go with 7 foot or even longer if you will be shorefishing the majority of the time. I've got several length rods, and I notice a big difference with the longer ones casting from shore. I've got a new musky/pike rod on it way to me now that is 9 feet long! (http://www.tackleindustries.com/muskypikerods.html)

Id take a look at the REVO series of reels from Abu over the ORRA personally. You cant go wrong with any Quantum IMO, but they higher gear ration reels don't have the cranking power you'll need if you plan to cast heavy lures or big double blade spinnerbaits.

If you go with Shimano, I'd also choose the Curado over the Citca. I always spend a few extra bucks on baitcasters, you'll see a longer life span for the extra money!

Thanks
    If your always shore Fishing, a 12-13 foot Carp rod are ideal for Pike!