Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Shore fishing illegal in Toronto Harbor? WTFFFFFF

I was surfing around yesterday I saw this story lighting things up on other fishing boards. If I ever felt the fury it was when reading this.

The Toronto port authority states, "No person shall fish from shoreline unless in an authorized area designated by posted signs." I believe this applies to the jurisdiction of the port authority which I think goes from the Humber to Ashbridges bay and out to Toronto Islands. (http://www.torontoport.com/Port/Abou...rocedures.aspx)

This is not listed in the MNR regulations and I believe on another board someone contacted the MNR to inquire about this. The MNR was unaware of these rules from what I understand.

I have no idea when this was brought into place and just became aware of it by surfing the net.

I hope something has been missed here because if not this really chaps my A--- and it's time to get political!

Thanks
    I'm aware of the Port Authority regs from having to taken the Harbour License (which is another fraud), but I don't see too many people complying. The Port Authority is a Federal organization and they're out of control. That license thing was dropped in the ports of Vancouver and Halifax years ago. It has stayed as a cash grab here in Toronto. As for the Fishing thing, take a look at the publications coming from the Municipal offices of Toronto which encourage fishing throughout our waters and even give advice on how to catch the various species.

I wish someone got political on those guys at the Port Authority. There are just so many cases of incompetence, ridiculous regs and their dictatorial way of doing business that someone should hold them to task and finally make them accountable.

I'm with you Kokemachine, but storming their ramparts is kinda confusing, because they're such an odd organization running various things here in Toronto. Where the heck is their draw bridge? The solution should be to hand over their powers to the municipality of Toronto, but the City doesn't seem to want it.

Maybe the best bet is the fact that those no fishing regs never get enforced, which de facto voids them. I'm not a lawyer, but I do know that one fundamental principle of law is if you fail to enforce a law, it is no longer a law - except I'm not so sure how much of a law it really was. More of a fringe organization's regulation or hopeful wish, really?

Physically in Toronto, mentally in Hawaii!
    Thanks
    I can tell you I have been kicked out many times from all the little harbours between Queens Quay all the way to Ontario Place. Some days, if it is early or late enough and the crowds are light (usually spring or fall...never in the summer), the odd security or port personnel would turn a blind eye as long as I was not endangering anyone with my casting (ie, try to find a spot that is not in people's way). In the summer, it is almost always that I would be told to leave within minutes of arriving.

I can see the issue with fishing in active dock areas, where cut fishing lines, errant casts and multiple hook lures can present hazards to boats and dock users. After all, these areas were built for one purpose only...for boat users to dock their boats. However, along the lakeshore areas where it is not an active docking area, we should insist that our fishing rights is just as important as the jogging rights, the strolling rights, the swimming rights and the dog-walking rights of user to the lakeshore areas.

The unfortunate thing is that the ENTIRE Toronto Harbour falls under their jurisdiction...as such, really, there is nowhere for us to fish legally.

I do think the Toronto Port Authority had failed on their part with this clause:

Fishing

24. No person shall fish from shoreline unless in an authorized area designated by posted signs.

They are given the authority to restrict fishing, however, I have yet to see a designated area for fishing in the entire port area. I have only seen no fishing signs. In essence, they have completely ignored the part of the clause. This alone bothers me.

Thanks
    24. No person shall fish from shoreline unless in an authorized area designated by posted signs.
    this would suggest that anywhere with out a "fish here" sign is a no fishing zone

This was a topic that I discussed with TangledLines on the islands sunday and it could be a huge problem if not clarified and taken care of. Toronto is fairly well known for being an urban fishery and to have that snatched out from under us by the port authority is pretty lame.
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Physically in Toronto, mentally in Hawaii!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwm View Post
    this would suggest that anywhere with out a "fish here" sign is a no fishing zone

This was a topic that I discussed with TangledLines on the islands sunday and it could be a huge problem if not clarified and taken care of. Toronto is fairly well known for being an urban fishery and to have that snatched out from under us by the port authority is pretty lame.
    Exactly!

We really need some representation on this, especially well known personalities like Bob Izumi, Dave Mercer, the Fishin' Canada crew, etc to help us defend our rights to fish. All of these personalities had done shows in downtown Toronto to promote urban fishing. It is useless to promote it when we have no legal areas to fish along the lake shore. In other words, we need to start a lobby group with these personalities in the fore front to help us make a stand.

Thanks
    I wholeheartedly agree
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks
    What about the OFAH or other fishing organizations? Anyone a member?

Thanks
    looking for a fishing pro connected to tons of fish celebs...

taro from fish city.....he does urban fishing tours in the inner harbour
    he is well connected to other pros like chonger etc.....
    contact him at fish city

henry waszczuk from fishing the flats....i believe fishing fury and henry are well acquainted.

jp derose from wfn get'n schooled......i have seen he several times fishing the islands and harbour

the toronto sportsman show is this weekend at the metro toronto convention centre
    lots of pros and personalities there....

david miller was a toronto mayor who successfully battled the harbour commission for years postponing their plans.
    and miller did more than any toronto mayor to promote fishing along toronto's harbourfront.

mayor hazel from mississauga fishes the salmon derby every year

these are solid allies to start with

Thanks
    i have an awesome poster from the torontoand region conservation authority
    they are known as trca
    contact www.trca.on.ca
    416 661 6600
    the poster is of fish species and where they can be fished in the toronto area
    the trca are one of the world's largest land owners of conservation lands....
    i believe but may be mistaken that they own parts of toronto islands, humber bay marshes, ashbridges bay, leslie spit
    i believe they own land in these areas and so does the port authority.....
    we need to clarify this...and partner up
    www.trca.on.ca
    416 661 6600

Thanks
    do the no fishing law boundaries encompass fishing from a boat in the inner and outer harbours and toronto islands etc.
    if it does......we may be able to gain some boating allies in this battle