Thanks

Cool Nova Scotia (Halifax) Fishing Advice

Hey guys,

I am heading out to Halifax, the first week of June on vacation.

I want to bring my rod along with some gear, but wanna pack light for that. It is salt water, so I am gonna bring a reel that I know I can clean with water and if it get damaged I will not be too upset.

I have never been there, have no idea where to fish (will likely be from shore , eg. Pier, etc).

Can anyone recommend what reel, line, baits I should look to bring.

Also what I can expect to catch from shore and where maybe to fish. Will likely only have 1 day or a 1/2 day to fish as I'll be with the wife, but definitely want to see what I can land.

Thanks....

Evan

Thanks
    Its been more than ten years since I lived in Halifax, but I used to fish off the stone pier behind Sobeys at the back end of Bedford basin for codling using spoons. (Dont even know if it's still there) First week of June, you might be a couple of weeks early for mackerel, but its worth checking with the fishing charter boats in the harbour, it's dead cheap and great fun pulling fish out three of four at a time on red feathers.

I would recommend the Gov fishing map, it helped me find some good starting points.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/MAPS/prod...ageHistory=cat

Thanks
    Do you know if I would need a fishing licence?
    Any way you could tag where that pier is on google maps and post it here.
    Not sure where I am staying yet...

Thanks
    You should get in touch with Clive, he might be able to meet up with you. He's been living and fishing in Halifax for years.

If I had to guess take a baitcaster setup you would use for bass, and some light medium/light spinning tackle. Small spinners and jerk baits like the Koppers Live Target smelt.
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by evanxrs View Post
    Do you know if I would need a fishing licence?
    Pretty sure you will need a non-resident license.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/paal/fish/paal190.asp
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Physically in Toronto, mentally in Hawaii!
    Thanks
    Hey Evan,

I'm just talking from what I've heard from friends who lived on the east coast, as well as my own fishing experience in Massachusetts and Long Island.

From talking with friends, I learned that there are often Cunners (a species of wrasse locally pronounced as Connors) around any rocky structures (jetties, rocky shores...etc). You can also find a couple species of Staghorn Sculpins (locally called bullheads) and some species of Sea Robins in the same area. Summer is usually better for Atlantic Mackerel and sometimes they can be found around wharfs. You could also find some Tomcod if the mackerel are in the area. I heard there could be some bluefish here and there as well. Striped bass is less common compared to the US. I know Tautog can be found in N.S. as well, but I don't know how common they are.

For Cunner, Sculpins and Sea Robin, blood worms / sand worms are best. Clams also work well. Fish these on a high-low rig (just google to find how to tie them). For Mackerel and Tomcod, you can use a straw rig (you can google that too) with gold hooks. They are really cheap to make, although it may be difficult to find the right hooks in Toronto.

If there is a chance that you see bluefish or striped bass crashing / chasing baitfish around, you can use a spoon for them. Kastmasters, Krocs, and Crippled Herring are styles of spoons that would work well. You need something that is streamlined to get long distance casts (if they are not close to shore) and also some weight so you can reel these spoons very fast just under the surface. Bluefish can chase bait very fast so nothing really is too fast for them.

Once you catch a bluefish, everything in Ontario feels weak (pound-for-pound). They also have some seriously evil attitude and mightily sharp triangular teeth (resembles those you see on Great White Shark)...so don't try to unhook them with hands...use hemostats and pliers! They can chomp off fingertips if not the finger.

Anyways, have fun man! Next time we fish again...if it is before your trip, we can chat more in person.

** Personally, I wouldn't go fish freshwater in Halifax...I mean...you have freshwater fishing here...especially bass How often do you get the chance to fish for saltwater species? Make every opportunity count! Go saltwater fishing! Saying that, there are Chain Pickerel in Nova Scotia which we do not have in Ontario. If I was to fish freshwater species, that would be my prime target. Trophy size (5-6lb!) sea run brook trout could be a close second...and June could be a good time for them. Leave the bass fishing for Ontario.
    Last edited by MuskieBait; 04-19-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks
    As mentioned above, there are quite a few options. If you want salt, you can Hit up Bedford near Sobeys, or google China Town Restaurant on Bedford highway. There are always people fishing for mackerel from the parking lot. You can also fish from point pleasant part for sculpin. mackerel and a few other potential species such as tommy cod.

You wont need any heavy gear for this fish. Send me a message if you have any specific questions, maybe we can meetup for some fishing!