PDA

View Full Version : What is the Besta Bass Lure?

PastorBrady
06-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Greetings,
What is the best Bass Lure for use in a small farm pond?
Rooster Tail, Spinner, Jig, Night Crawlers and why?

Sincerely,
Pastor Brady

Clive
06-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Night crawlers will always work when nothing else seems to. But from a sporting perspective, if I had to choose a lure, I'd go with an inline spinnerbait like a Rooster tail or Mepps Black Fury.

Whopper
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Hands down for me is a rubber worm rigged Texas style on the lightest slip sinker you can get away with. Black or Purple and maybe one that has a some type of tail that moves I have found is the best. I've caught some really nice bass with them. One thing you have to remember when fishing a small farm pond is try to keep a low profile and keep extremely quiet because if you can see the bass they can see you and usually are very spooky, kind of like a hunter stalking it prey.
Another good bait is a floating Rapala in a finish that resembles the bait fish (minnows) in the pond your are fishing in.

Hope this helps

szomo.ca
06-04-2009, 10:49 PM
I like the worms , and spinnerbaits aswell ...

but if i had to pick one myself would just go with a tube .... how you rig this is how its going to work ... heavy weight into heavy cover flipping .... open water , sand or rock using standard tube jig head 1/4 ounce etc ... or like the worm rig , texas style lighter weight drag it through the weeds hooked textapose ..

i also like throwing flukes , senkos ( are a killer for dead sticking )

if you want to get experimental and slow down the presentation to nab those monsters in the deeper water in the summer , could run a drop shot rig using a strike zone slammer or roboworm even poorboys gooby ... super slow presentation but big pay offs ... especially when the heat keeps them low and slow...

check water clarity etc etc ... i typically love to throw a spinner bait when the water isnt gin clear .... i find that a reaction strike is stronger when the color of the water isnt clear .. infact i kinda find clear water is my biggest enemy .... unless im fishing proven structure or crystal beach on erie ... i shy away from the clear water .. and some ponds tend to have super clear water so i would target getting into the heavy weeds , or even find a line or break where theres openings ...

sorry im getting to involved ... hopefully that helps ... just throw a spinnerbait you'll be fine :D

cbiegel
06-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I used to be all about Texas rigged worms and spinnerbaits (as apposed to inline spinners) but these days Iím having great luck with Sluggo jerk baits. You just need a set-up that will cast it without extra weight.

I like inline spinners for smallmouth bass or other times when there arenít many weeds to deal with.