PDA

View Full Version : Help picking out a rod/reel

ctom
07-18-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm looking into buying a baitcasting reel (or getting one for a birthday present) as well as new rod.
I don't need something particularly expensive, but i do want something functional. Basic overview of what I'm looking for:

Reel: Baitcasting. I've never used one before so, if there is one that is easier to use than others that'd be preferable(also tips on baitcasting reels??) Not looking to buy top-of-the-line, but if I'm gonna get one I do need some semblance of quality.

Rod: I'm, again, looking for something not terribly expensive, and i would like a small-ish rod definitely under 6feet, if you can match a rod like that with a baitcaster, I like medium to fast action.

Line: POWERPRO ftw, I tried the braid on a whim, and I love it, just TRY to talk me out of it, I dare you.

Clive
07-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Hey tom,

I picked up a Daiwa Megaforce for $60 USD and its really a solid starter reel. I took a friend fishing who had never used a baitcaster and he was casting like a champ in no time. I have my paired with a Shimano Simitar 6'6" MH rod. I'd also recommend the the Berkly Lightening rod.

With the Megaforce and lightening rode, you'll have a solid combo that will cost around $100.

Power Pro is your best option in my opinion. Keep in mind you are gonna get lots of tangles/birdsnest when you start out. While mono may be cheaper, you'll be cutting line regularly becuase it will stretch and kink alot while sorting out the nests. With Braided line you can often pull really hard and get the birdnests out. I have 30lb power pro on mine, and I would not advise going lower. The larger diameter line will be easier to work with.

http://www.fishingfury.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/daiwa-megaforce-reel.jpg

ctom
07-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks Clive!

I'm a little apprehensive about getting the baitcasting reel still......tips for getting out of birds nests..?

Clive
07-19-2009, 10:55 AM
This is essentially what I do. With braid though, you can often just pull really hard to get it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc

Woody
07-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Ctom you're a braver man than me, i think those Baitcastors are the sexiest Reels ever invented but i've never had the balls to part with my dosh and get one!...I love my Spinning Reels but would love to get a Baitcastor, the trouble is, no one uses them over here so i've never had the chance to use one or even anyone to even show me the best way to use one!...Maybe one day!

jwm
07-20-2009, 08:13 PM
The best thing you can probably do to start is not spool the reel all the way, a lost of starters back lashes come from having too much line on the spool. I highly recommend the new powerpro ezspools, they put line on very easily and tight. Also I recommend pulling the line through a wet towel/papertowel as it goes on to the spool, that way the PP can grip better and will result in a tighter spool.

ctom
07-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Do you guys think it's worth it to upgrade to a baitcaster?

Personally I think that once I get the hang of it, it'll definitely be useful

Also: How exactly does that twitchin' bar work, Clive? (I'm asking you cause you appear to own one, but anyone can answer that)

szomo.ca
07-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Pretty much all the reels available have a level of quality . They are built with more rugged specs then spinning and offer you the ability to throw larger baits aswell as small.

I wouldnt do any shorter then 6'8 on any rod other then a jerkbait rod which i would go 6'2 but that again would be spinning ..

for a caster medium heavy 6'8 is a good setup . If you want a good rod thats not top of the line and i dont really know what your price range is but those Carrot Stix which are now available at bass pro run about $160 + tax ... but they are light , well balenced rods which can withstand a good fight ( as you might have seen i used on the pike this year in the harbour )

The reel i would take a close look at whos making it ... the only thing i have found is that fleuger ( which also makes alot of the bass pro models ) has a major flaw in their drag system ...

Basically if you dont loosen your drag when your done fishing you will actually create a memory in the drag and thus will end up even cranking the drag as tight as possible and still be able to strip line off the spool with little effort... my guess is its a coil which can cease and lock up .... thus destroying the reel unless theres a way to fix it ,... i havent found one nore looked for one i just dumped it off...

I love the shimanos for reels .. obviously the curado is a higher price point but its a damn great reel ... a step down would be the citica which i think should be around $149 ish .. that may still be a bit of a higher price point but those are pretty solid ...

other good brands , like the abu garcia revos are fantastic , theres many skus so you can find one priced to your needs ... Diawas are pretty good , Quantum also has some great stuff. with Quantum you will find leftys if you need them , they have a good overall system , and they feel nice in the palm of your hand... My word of advice for those however is avoid getting a baitcaster with a flipping switch or lever . When they have this in place the reel will ocassionally hickup on the engaging mechanism when you cast out and crank the reel once ... so No KVDs , or Accurists if possible ...

anyways ... i would say this for spinning particularly ... you get what you pay for ... in terms of baitcasters , you can get away with more affordable options because the equipment for the most part has more solid mechanisms in place and you dont need to be ultra sensative to feel out strikes ... you will more then likely be casting something with a bit more weight...

and for the love of god dont fish jerkbaits with a baitcaster like an xrap unless your okay to cast 20 ft

cbiegel
07-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Hey tom,

I picked up a Daiwa Megaforce for $60 USD and its really a solid starter reel. I took a friend fishing who had never used a baitcaster and he was casting like a champ in no time. I have my paired with a Shimano Simitar 6'6" MH rod. I'd also recommend the the Berkly Lightening rod.

I got this same reel at the beginning of the season and have been really happy with it. I paired it with a 6’6” medium strength fast action Bionic Blade for around $130. I only wish I had thought to get the left-handed version…

I don’t know if you guys have used them but I’ve been using the BPS Bionic Blade and Extreme rods for years and love them. They just keep getting better each year and are a fantastic bang for your buck. I’m a big fan of their “Extreme” series in general. Both the rods and the reels (though I haven’t tried the casting one yet).

Clive
07-22-2009, 01:49 PM
ctom,

I dont use the twitch bar too often, but when I have it worked great. I havent had any negative effects becuase of it - but it isnt a reel I use often anymore. I rarely venture away from my Quantum Tour Edition PT (old model - http://www.fishingfury.com/20060503/quantum-tour-edition-pt-baitcaster/) - I got it for $120 on sale before the start of this season. It is an infinitely better reel for every application.

http://www.fishingfury.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/quantum-tour-pt.jpg

jwm
07-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Indeed! I now have two of the previous year Tour PT baitcasters an I absolutely love everything about them. Both are teamed up with Quantum Tour rods as well one heavy, and one medium heavy.

ctom
07-22-2009, 11:08 PM
I thought about more expensive options like that, but at this point it's really impractical for me. I'm only 15, short on funds as it is, and I get to most of my fishing destinations by bike, so a 1 piece baitcasting rod at 6'6" would just be REALLY inconvenient. Plus, the fishing where I live just does not require that kind of stuff. I have to travel an hour for Pike, and other than that the biggest stuff we get are average Pickerel/Largemouth, which can easily be handled on light spinning tackle.

Man, when I get a job and a car....

Clive
07-22-2009, 11:15 PM
The Megafroce is a great starter reel for sure. It will last and get the job done until you have money to spend on shiny new reels :)