PDA

View Full Version : perfectly balanced

cbiegel
09-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Where on the rod do you guys put your finger when trying to get the perfectly balanced rod and reel? Do you change anything when balancing spinning vs casting set-ups?

Clive
09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
I really dont know the answer to that, I've always just tried my reels with a few rods until I found one that felt "right"

Woody
10-01-2009, 11:16 AM
It looks like no one else has a clue either judging by the amount of times this post has been read and no one has come up with an answer (including me!).

KenReece
10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
The best balance for a spinning combo(for me) is use my middle finger to balance the rod just past the reel set. If the reel side is too heavy it seems to not cast nearly as well.

My 2c

cbiegel
10-01-2009, 02:16 PM
The reason Iím asking is that I mostly use BPS Extreme and Bionic Blade rods for freshwater (and light saltwater) fishing. These rods are compatible with the BPS weight balancing kit. A couple of the combinations of rod and reel I use are perfect in terms of the type of fishing Iím doing but not nicely balanced so Iíd like the option of using the weights.

Iíll try getting the balance point at the front of the reel seat (as apposed to right at the front of the reelís post?) and see how that feels. I think most of my set ups balance a few inches forward of that and feel tip heavy.

Any idea on casting set ups? Right in front of the trigger? Further forward? I suppose I can just see what feels good and report back my findings. Now to send more of my paycheck to BPSÖ

Clive
10-02-2009, 09:23 AM
I read through the BPS description of the balancing system, but it doesnt say anything about proper balance, only that you can modify the balance. I guess it all comes down to preference.

cbiegel
10-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah, my plan is to get one of the systems and then try it out on all my combos. If I feel like Iím getting a better balanced feel (whatever that turns out to be) on more than one combo, Iíll get more of them. If it doesnít really help Iíll just be out the 10 or 11 bucks.

Gary Switlick
10-03-2009, 02:10 AM
i think it really has to do with where you hold thr rod because where it balances depends on where you grip it. so i believe the balancing point is different for every person and combo

jwm
10-04-2009, 01:34 PM
My Pete Maina musky rod had weights so you could balance the rod, I honestly never messed with it but with all the weights in it was great for casting huge 12+ stick baits.

Gary Switlick
10-04-2009, 03:37 PM
never thought of that . that being the ease of casting larger baits probably makes it much easier on the arm

jwm
10-04-2009, 04:58 PM
never thought of that . that being the ease of casting larger baits probably makes it much easier on the arm

Easier cast, heavier rod. It's probably all balanced in terms of pain that night ;)