PDA

View Full Version : GULP Buckets they're great, expensive, and could end up costing you even more!

jwm
10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Since someone asked in another thread about Gulp and Trigger-X I thought I would share an experience I hope none of you ever have. We all know how much Fishing Fury loves the gulp baits and the fact that they're biodegradable, and I'm sure most of you have see the new gulp buckets where you can get these quality baits in a bucket full of whatever special juice it is. And before I go any further, these baits work, they're awesome, I can't deny that! Even dipping other gulp baits in the liquid refreshes them and attracts fish easily.

However.... There is one fatal flaw in this product, and despite the (sometimes) 25 dollar price on them, one bucket ended up costing me 220 dollars more! Basically, on my last trip to Mystery Lake we came in late on saturday in the midst of a rain storm. We pulled all our gear back to the cabin and put it inside so it wouldnt get soaked. Little did I realize that the gulp baits were slowly leaking from the bucket and into the (not one, but) two plastic bags I've been keeping it wrapped up in. That oily liquid is powerful, and has an even more powerful aroma. Well when we awoke the next day to go fishing and I moved my big bag of softbaits that had the wrapped bucket in it, we found a huge oily stain on the carpet. I was devastated. Here I have been invited to my friends cabin on an amazing lake and I just ruined their rug. It's not only that there was a stain, but also the smell.. We tried our best to clean and absorb the stain but nothing helped. I ended up buying them a new rug, even though they said I didn't have to.

Now imagine if it happened in the car, or some where I'd have to pay a super expensive cleaning bill. Or if it had spilled all over their boat and a bear mauled it during the night trying to eat it (it's happened before!).

Long story short, if you purchase the gulp bucket baits keep them in a sealed bag and away from anything you care about, at least until Berkley figures out how to fix their packaging.

I was going to make this an official post, but I lost the photos of the stain and gross drippy bags.. Mike is heading back up this weekend so I'm going to ask him to take a few pictures of the stain and I'll make a post on the main page to alert other fishermen and perhaps get some action out of berkley.

legacey
10-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Wow....I just posted this same sort of concern in the other topic.

Berkely really should have a better solution...that I don't have to do any work to fix.

....it can't be that hard!

Cheers

Sanj
10-08-2009, 12:06 PM
the leak happened to my friend as well...maybe the liquid and bait should be transferred to a mason jar or something after buying...

legacey
10-08-2009, 03:25 PM
yup...pretty much the only option...but again, why should we have to do such things after paying a lot of money.

Cheers

jwm
10-08-2009, 09:28 PM
This is the first year for the product so changes are inevitable. I hope they fix it for next year. I'll make an official post later. Please let me know if you or someone you know have had a problem with this product, it will make a difference when we make an official post and contact berkley.

legacey
10-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Please count me in....my Dad, my tourney partner, and my ice-fishing partner.

If you are going to submit anything, I'd be happy to assist and provide names and addresses for them.

Happy Thanksgiving weekend, everyone!

Cheers,

Paul

jwm
10-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Perhaps an online petition might be the route to go here? That way we can get a bunch of people to join in.

jwm
10-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Rather than asking I just did it!

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/berkleygulpbuckets

Pass this around guys, I've set the petition to only 500 signatures in hopes that we can get that many. I would have set it higher but I'm not sure how much penetration we'll see. Hopefully this helps get the packaging fixed.

I'll make an official post out of this when I'm home from work.

Sanj
10-09-2009, 11:10 AM
yup...pretty much the only option...but again, why should we have to do such things after paying a lot of money.

Cheers

ya, i totally agree...u would think they would have done at least some testing...

legacey
10-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for doing this...

I tried to post in support of those I know, that don't have computers.

Am I correct thinking it allows only 1 from an IP address?

Cheers

jwm
10-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Never used the service before, but I would imagine that yes there is some kind of tracking to prevent spamming of the petition.

Thanks for doing this...

I tried to post in support of those I know, that don't have computers.

Am I correct thinking it allows only 1 from an IP address?

Cheers

jwm
10-12-2009, 07:11 PM
They ended up removing my petition for whatever reason. I've setup on official one on Fishing Fury.

http://www.fishingfury.com/petition-berkley-to-fix-their-gulp-alive-packaging/

legacey
10-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Don't know if many of you get the Facts of Fishing E-Mag but the edition I received today has a "professor punishment" section that Dave and the gang tested the new box for Gulp Baits.

I will admit, it's a great idea (and I will probably purchase) but one last time, I'll add....we shouldn't have to pay for a different container or be concerned that the current packaging is crap!

And if they're offering this cause of the defective packaging, they should offer a "greener" solution and have discounted packaging (sealed bags) that you can transfer the baits to these boxes from.

http://www.factsoffishing.com/news.php?id=92

Cheers,

Paul

jwm
10-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Well, when you have a void in the market for something people need there will eventually be someone to fill it. That said, the product looks nice, however I'm not interested in purchasing it to as a solution to poor product packaging.

I'll post this on the front page tonight or tomorrow, thanks for the link!

MSBruno
10-14-2009, 06:45 PM
The Gulp pails suck. They leak everywhere. Everyone I know who has had them, find ways to put them in zip lock bags or just toss the in a container (mason jar) to replace them.

cbiegel
10-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Yup, I’ve had this same problem. I love to use the baits but the tubs leak terribly. I bought a sealable container which I put all the baits and juice into but I shouldn’t have to do this.

BTW I signed the petition.