PDA

View Full Version : Rods? reels? combos?

mamba
05-24-2010, 08:25 PM
heyy.

im looking around for a rod n reel..dont know if i should be getting a combo or the rod and reel seperate.
and i was wondering..what are the important aspects one looks at when buying a rod and reel?..
ive always used those canadian tire brands...and want to step it up..with a tight budget. i like to fish bass n starting to go for pike n musky this season..soo cant wait to pick something nicee..n start fishing!

i hear ppl say u need more than one rod.. what bout one rod tht u can use for mulitiple type of fish?.. would love to hear what some more experienced anglers have to say..

Gary Switlick
05-25-2010, 07:32 AM
if you like baitcasters a medium action 6'6"-7' long works well for bass and pike. these rods have more backbone than spinning rods. by using a med action you still have fun with bass and can still bring in the mid forty inch pike, however you won't be able to muscle them in.

mamba
05-25-2010, 07:11 PM
hmm i see..
beisdes the fact they look different..whats the difference between baitcast n spinning rods? ..seen pros use baitcast mroe often.

jwm
05-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Baitcasters are harder to use, but cast farther, have better drag systems etc. If you're just starting out I recommend spinning.

And I'd say buy the rod/reel separate. Step 1 - Buy a Shakespear Ugly Stik. Then figure out what rod and line you need.

Clive
05-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Good questions!

As far as bass fishing goes, you can get away with lower end reels. In fishing, as well as in most things in life, you get what you pay for. I've gone the cheap route and regretted it within a year. More expensive reels will stand up to abuse much better then cheap ones. I always try to think of it as a long term investment. Pay $200 on a reel now and have it last 10+ years - spend $20 on a reel and you'll be replacing it several times over in that same 10 years.

If you plan to fish a lot, invest in some more expensive gear. A lot of fishermen like to have specific rods and reels for specific fish, but I'm one of those all purpose guys who uses the same gear for most species.

As for targeting bigger fish like muskie and pike - you can get by with you bass setup, but you will ultimately damaging or killing larger fish because of prolonged battles. The long a big muskie fights, the less chance it has of making a quick recovery. Most serious muskie fishermen use 65-100lb line and baitcast reels to be able to get the fish to the boat as quickly as possible.

For muskie I wouldn't spend any less then $150 on a reel (unless you find one on sale)

A couple of suggestions for all purpose baitcast reels:
(and by all purpose I mean they are made for bigger stronger fish, but most new baitcast reels can still cast small lure just as well so you can target smaller fish)

Quantum Cabo - I've got one and use it almost exclusively for pike and muskie now - at cabelas for 89.99
Shimano Calcutta - Had a Calcutta 251 since 2004 (although this is on the small end for muskie) - there are several sizes and types of calcuatta, and most are expensive because they are great quality and last for ever - you may be able to find deals on used ones on ebay.
Shimano Curado E - the newest light weight, small powerful reels from Shimano. Tried out a friends last year and it felt great. They arent cheap, but well worth the investment IMO - In fact, this is probably the next reel I'll buy.

And finally...
Abu Ambassador 7000 & 6500 - Havent used these, but they are probably the best bang for the buck.

Clive
05-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Forgot rods!

The Uglystik rod for the price, but my favorite has got to be the Shimano Compre musky rod. Used it for pike, bass, muskie and more. A little overkill for small fish, but it gets the job done.

cbiegel
05-26-2010, 03:19 PM
And finally...
Abu Ambassador 7000 & 6500 - Havent used these, but they are probably the best bang for the buck.

For bigger fish I have no problem recommending an Abu Ambassador 6500C4. The thing casts heavy plugs or other lures easily. It would be a little heavy for most bass fishing though. Less than $90 US.

Killerbug
07-20-2010, 03:11 AM
If u need a cheap Musky/Pike gear for bucktails and gliders I would recommend an Ugly stick 6,6 3 oz with a Daiwa classic 250. This is a strong and reliable setup, and this reel has the best off the shelve drag I have ever tried!. Rod and reel would cost you 80 bucks.

For the wannabee Pikemaster, a shimano compre Muskie, or the Cortland endurance musky 7" 3oz would be my choice, paired with a Shimano Cardiff 400 or an Ambassadeur 5500 C3, or another ABU with the gearing 5.3:1, this gearing is mutch better for winding bucktails than 6.3:1, or giving your bait a prober walk the dog action. this would be 170 US $

Pikemasters uses a St Croix 6,6 to 7 feet 3oz rod paired with a Shimano Calcutta TE or the Daiwa LUNA, or a pimped Ambassaduer if you are born before 1970. This would be 500 US $

PS. I have heard many nice words regarding the Revo Toro reels, a fishing pal of mine use it for yellowfins! once a year.

Clive
07-20-2010, 09:47 AM
The St Croix rods are heard to beat, but for the money, the Compre is my favorite.

cbiegel
07-21-2010, 09:56 PM
"or a pimped Ambassaduer if you are born before 1970"

Hey now! :)

Greased carbon fiber giving 15 lb of smooth drag and a solid (though not bullet proof) gear set is very hard to beat for the price. The reel isn't colored gold but it still gets the fish to the boat.

Woody
07-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Deffo seperate Rod and Reel, that way you can choose a specific Rod and Reel without having to get lumped with one that they choose for you (i'd imagine just to get rid of old useless stock they can't shift anymore!) An Uglystik is a great unbeatable Rod for the money they ask, so it's all down to choosing the right Reel to go with it!