PDA

View Full Version : New Phone!

Clive
10-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Recent circumstances have forced me into needing a cell phone, and for the first time in 6 years, I have one! I was torn between the new iphone 4 and the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant. A recent sale on the Vibrant made the choice easy (they have the exact sames specs pretty much). I got the phone for $99 (with contract of course) and I also got a $75 gift card at Futureshop (which got me a new hard drive). The iphone would have cost me twice as much, and had no gift card.

So far I love the phone, although I have only made few calls. Its feature rich, and the Android app store has some fun apps to play with (of course the iphone has more then double the apps)

Heres a review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Hzeo0uegI

I've been loving the 5mp camera and 720p video which has eliminated my need for a small point and shoot camera.

I plan a full review on the phone and the fishing related apps once I have had more time to play with it!

Here are a few shots unedited from the phone, including a panoramic, which automatically stitches, and an action shot that captures movement thought the image and joins it together. The standard images turn out a bit sharper because you cans choose the focus area on the touch screen.

jwm
10-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Very cool shots. I think I might be upgrading to an iphone4 soon. the 3g is ungodly slow with the current os.

Clive
10-10-2010, 01:22 PM
G got the iphone 4, its pretty slick. I like the feel of the Vibrant more however. Havent played with the iphone enough to says which is truly better, but I know the iphone has more fishing apps :(

Got an app today that does a low and high HDR effect, as well as tilt shift and others - one effect is like teh Fury effect too!

Woody
10-11-2010, 03:53 PM
It's Koi Pond you want. :yes:

jwm
10-11-2010, 11:37 PM
For 4 months out of the year it would be an ice sculpture!

cbiegel
10-12-2010, 10:18 AM
That looks like a sweet phone. I wish my iPhone had a better camera and video (or video at all). I avoided the slow OS by not upgrading to the 4.0. Seems to still work pretty well for me. I'll probably just upgrade to the G4 once I've got enough time on my contract for a new phone.

Sanj
10-12-2010, 11:25 AM
i think i finally have to make the plunge into the 21st (20th?) century and buy a cell phone; i have never owned one, by choice. now with twin daughters i guess it's time. i'll check out the phone you mentioned, nice review.