PDA

View Full Version : What Rod?

KT
12-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I've been looking to buy a new reel for a while now and definitely wasn't going to pass up the no tax sale at le baron on boxing day. So as the shimano fanatic I am, I ended up getting a curado e7 after much contemplation over the new shimano caenan. I have to say, the reviews were right, just the oversized power grips are well worth the price difference. So anyways, now I'm looking for a new rod to pair up with my e7.

Basically I'm looking for a rod under $100, perferably under $75 if possible. 6'6 long, medium heavy action, fast tip. Weight not really a factor as I'm used to casting heavy rods with heavy lures all day. Must be a 2 peice rod as I frequently subway down to the islands.

So the rods I've now come up with are:
1. Shimano voltaeus
2. Fenwick CMT
3. Shimano compre
4. Shakespeare Ugly stik

Now heres where the problems start coming.
- Shimano voltaeus is rated for lures up to 5/8 oz. while I regularly use 1 oz. lures and the 2 peice model only comes in medium action.
- Fenwick CMT seems to be the perfect rod as they have a model that suits my requirements exactly, but no one seems to carry them locally anymore as they are old.
- Can't seem to find anyone that sells a 2 piece model of compre.
- Perferably don't want to get an ugly stik as I don't really like the feel of it.

So does anyone have any other recommendations for rods or know a place that still carries fenwick CMT?

Thanks.

jwm
12-29-2010, 02:08 AM
I know you said that the compre doesn't come in two pieces, but its a *great* rod! Tackle Tour has some pretty good things to say about the Voltaeus. I know the uglystik probably isn't the highest quality rod in the price range, and probably not the most sensitive, but it is by far the most durable rod of the bunch. I still have my medium action uglystik from 15 years ago and its in near perfect condition (foam handles are pretty beat up).

KenReece
12-29-2010, 12:21 PM
http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/23/page/1/id/999/name/ShimanoCompreMuskieRods

My buddy has a Compre Rod and loves it. There is one here that is 2-piece that would be a good fit, it is a little over $100.00 but well worth the price for a good durable rod that can handle heavy lures.

KT
12-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

As a shimano fanatic, to be honest, I can turn a blind eye to the price tag on the compre LOL. My only problem is the one piece factor. I know there is a 2 piece model, but can't find someone who carries it. Plus it's really hard to subway around with a 6' rod. That'll probably be my second last choice before the ugly stik. Still trying to find a place that has the fenwick CMT though.

Just another question, I've never tried, but would there be much of an issue if I toss 1 oz. baits on a rod rated for 5/8 oz.? I've searched around and some articles say you can snap your line alot easier. Is that true?

Thanks.

Woody
12-31-2010, 11:03 AM
It all depends on what quality line you are using wether it will snap or not, just use decent braid and you will be fine...The 1oz weight will be no problem anyway.

KT
12-31-2010, 04:02 PM
I have it loaded with #30 powerpro. Im guessing there won't be a problem then? If not, I guess voltaeus it is.

Woody
12-31-2010, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't be worried about it anyway, but then again, i'm no pro!

jwm
01-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Depends on how you cast and if your rod has a lot of whip to it. If you cast like clive, you'll probably snap a few lures off and upgrade to 65#

KT
01-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Damnit....I'll probably have to pick up some 65# then...

jwm
01-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Just be mindful when you cast and check your line for fraying and you should be fine.

Clive
01-04-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm a big fan of the Compre, and the ugly stick is never a bad choice IMO. Havent used the other 2 rods though.

szomo.ca
01-27-2011, 10:18 PM
I dont want to sound like a jerk but i will be completely honest with you . If i had $300 ish for a rod and reel , i would more then likely spend more the on rod and never a 2 piece. I know its easy for travel but the rod makes a world of difference , not only in balance but in sensativity and strength. Its why you typically dont see a mid to high range rod even produced in 2 piece. Also , i would seriously take a look at micro guide rods . You'll know when you see one they only come in baitcaster rods and the guides are smaller in diameter then the blank. These rods have amazing balance !

the curado is an amazing reel , i love mine , theres nothing like them . but pairing it up with any of those rods listed above is doing you and the reel a HUGE disservice .

That rod paired up with a ducket 7ft med hvy micro would be boss , and your only talking $160 + tax for the rod

Theres also the smoke pt with micro , theres plenty of them now ...

but please take with a grain of salt , its merely my opinion ...

jwm
01-28-2011, 05:33 PM
I definitely agree, the microguides are a great system. & Im hoping to find the money to pickup a new quantum smoke set!

I mean, I've been begging quantum to put out a matte black series, so if someone's actually listening to me they deserve my money LOL

Woody
01-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Matte Rod's and Reels are the way to go, especially Army Green, in the bushes with that, you would feel like you were Fishing in 'Nam!

KT
01-30-2011, 06:12 PM
I know what you mean smozo. The rod is only meant to be taken to the island though as I have other setups meant for everything else where I can drive to. Don't really want to spend more than $100 for a rod only meant for the islands. I'll probably pick up the voltaeus if I can't get my hands on a fenwick, though Im a bit skeptical about the fenwick as I've heard of many who has snapped their rods recently. I've also seen the new quantum smoke setup and honestly, it looks pretty sick. I might pick one up later in the year if my wallet allows, but I'm still trying to figure out this 2 piece rod issue.

jwm
01-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Have you looked at any of the rods that can slide down into the handle? You'd still get most of the benefits of a single piece rod while still making it a little smaller for travel.

Woody
01-31-2011, 03:32 PM
I'd go with a travel Rod any day over the Telescopic ones, from what i've seen of them, they're no where near as well made as the travel ones but i suppose if money was no object, then you might get one that can handle something bigger than a Stickleback!

KT
01-31-2011, 06:13 PM
Have you looked at any of the rods that can slide down into the handle? You'd still get most of the benefits of a single piece rod while still making it a little smaller for travel.

Thought about going telescopic, but they are long as heck. Not used to fishing 7'+ rods and don't really want to try at this point. Im starting to think about skipping lunch for a couple of days and go the extra mile to get a 2 peice st.croix premier...

Clive
02-05-2011, 12:26 PM
I always though the two piece issues were a thing of the past. I'd love to do some real testing to really figure it out - but even if there is a difference, the average fisherman would never know!

KT
02-06-2011, 04:05 AM
I've tried a few 2 peice rods my friends have on some trips with them. IMO, they feel the same. Only problem I have is when I fish spinners. After a couple hours of non-stop casting, I forget to check if the top section is still securely in place and it ends up flying off with one of my casts eventually.

Woody
02-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I've never ever had a section of the Rod come off before, buy a decent Rod, push together properly and don't give it a 2nd thought...My 5 section Travel Rod didn't even budge an inch after 2 days solid Fishing.

Clive
02-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Its happens a lot with the cheaper rods Woody, especially Ulgy Stiks in my experience. You can of course take measures to secure them with any sort of sticky substance...

Woody
02-07-2011, 12:08 PM
All my Carp Rods that I use are a lot more expensive than the Uglystik's, mine are about $300US each and have a lifetime guarantee so i never have any worries when i'm out Fishing.

KT
02-07-2011, 01:03 PM
I've triedmy buddy's st. croix legend elite spinning rods which still has the exact same problem for me. Pretty sure quality isnt a problem in that case. Honestly, I think any 2 peice rod is going to fly apart if you give me a burner reel and some spinnerbaits :lol:

KT
02-14-2011, 06:27 PM
So today I passed by Canadian Tire so I decided to go in and take a look. Found some pretty interesting stuff. First off, I finally got a feel of the shimano voltaeus. God its heavy, but not as heavy as an ugly stick i guess. Balance is a bit off, but for a lifetime warranty, I can't really complain. Next I found some pretty interesting things; 2 peice medium action 6'0 berkley lightning shock and a 2 piece abu garcia med action 6'6 vengeance. From my understanding, these rods never came in 2 piece casting models. Where on earth did Canadian tire get them? Are they some kind of exclusive?

KT
02-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Just for an update. I finally decided to go with the voltaeus in the end. It's $40 at le baron and with the no tax sale, I'm certainly satisfied especially with the lifetime warranty. The balance is a bit messed but once I slapped on the curado e7, everything seems to work out fine. Feel sensitive enough, but I wont know until I start hitting the water next month. Should be perfect for muscling carp and bowfin at the islands. Have to say though, the handle is a bit short for a 6'6 rod.

Clive
02-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Good stuff, not sure about the CT exclusives, but stores like Walmart and CT seem to stick with the same 2-3 brands I find. I've notice differ locations have slightly different products. For example more CTs out here in Nova Scotia have light trout rods, or heavy saltwater rods, not much in between.

KT
02-18-2011, 09:09 PM
I know what you mean Clive. For example, I haven't seen a single saltwater rod in the ones in Toronto. I was pretty surprised to find stuff not listed online though. But man, CT is SO overpriced. 60 for the voltaeus and lightning rod shock and i think it was 80 or 90 for the vengeance. Will definitely be giving a more detailed report once I hit the water, but from the way I see it, voltaeus wasn't too bad of a choice.