PDA

View Full Version : Inherited a couple of Digital SLR'S

Woody
04-24-2009, 04:15 AM
A few people who use this site know that about a year and a half ago, my wife's mother died of cancer. About 6 months ago we found out her dad had it as well (what are the chances of both your parents eh?) Anyway he died a few weeks back and i've got a couple of camera's that i'm not sure what to do with. I love the digital slr's but i don't know if i could use it to it's abilities and if i could carry one round after having a nice pocket one so they might get sold on ebay (not checked if they are any good yet or what they are fetching.) The 1st camera is an Olympus E400 with an extra lens, 40-150mm. The 2nd camera is a Fuji S9500 with a huge zoom of 28-300mm. What is the best camera, 1st or 2nd and what would you do, sell them both or keep one?

JonnyButts
04-24-2009, 08:23 AM
I would keep em Woody. DSLR's aren't cheap to buy brand new and getting them for nothing is a sweet deal. Its a hobby that you could get into if you had the time. Never know maybe the young lad will take it up. For what you will fetch on Ebay I'd just keep em around. They do take much better photos than the compact digi cams. If anything I would possibly keep the s9500 since it is a nice compromise to an entry level DSLR and sell the Olympus but then again if you are interested in learning about DSLR photography sell the s9500 and keep the olympus.

Cheers Mate

MillerPhoto
04-25-2009, 12:33 AM
1) Fuji S9500 - Its a good all around camera if your looking for something with a good zoom if your into nature and wildlife shots, or even sporting events.. Its nice cause it has the tilting screen and you can record Video with it.. Down side.. its not a DSLR.. you can not change the lenses.. Its basically a camera for someone that wants the zoom of a DSLR, but not have the hassle of carrying multiple lenses. It does how ever take the XD mem card in which i belive they max at a 2GB card.. I used to work for Henrys and they did have a 4GB card but cancelled it at the time due to problems, But its always a good idea to carry a few smaller cards with you... You have a few cards in your pocket or wallet.. you lose the camera overboard or stolen, you have less risk of losing photos that you didn't recently download to the computer that you shot of a awsome fish, or some family photos. When I am out shooting events I use a couple 1GB and 2GB rather then buying a 4GB or 8GB card.. Cause a card could still go corrrupt.. I would rather lose only some photos then ALL! One down side.. it takes 4 AA batterys, which can get eatin up quick, so if you shoot alot or go out hiking for a day.. Be sure to take extras! and if you don't already have them, invest in a good Duracell Rechargeable batttery charger and batterys.. look for them to have a 2600mah or higher.

2) Olympus E400 - Right off the bat... its a DSLR! you can purchase additional lenes to create different photo techniques and styles of photography. It does not shoot Video, Still images only.. It accepts both XD card and CF cards. CF is one of the most durable and reliable cards out there.. But if your using XD cards for both camera.. DO NOT USE THE SAME CARD.. Can't stress that enough.. between both cameras, unless your format them using the Format command in the camera itself before you shoot! It has been known to cause problems and you could lose photos... Battery wise, its a lithium-ion.. DSLR do not use much battery power unless your reviewing your photos often.

Over all.. It comes down to what you want the camera to be able to do.. If you want it for general photos, fishing, family, some odd nature shots.. I would stick with the Fuji, cause when your out fishing you can also record video with it. Its always handy specially when you got a friend with you and you have a something large on that you would love to get a video of! Photo quality, you can't go wrong with eaither.. Unless your planning on getting into photography as a regular hobby, I would sell the Olympus. Before it drops too much in value, and use the money to buy a good battery changer and about 8 batterys. looking around $75 for a good quick charger and $25 for 4 batterys.. But they will give you the most life out of the batterys!

Woody
04-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the replies, i noticed the battery thing this afternoon, i thought those batteries went out with the dark ages!...I haven't even looked at the instruction manuals yet but i put a different lens on the Olympus and messed about with it in the back garden, i'm quite impressed, the photo's turned out quite good. I'm going to tinker about a bit more but i think i might hang on to the Olympus as i have a hardrive camcorder that i use already for filming and wouldn't use a camera for that job. I also have an old box brownie that is in mint condition, so that's going, anyway, thanks again!

MillerPhoto
04-25-2009, 10:56 PM
No problem, Well the seperate video camera is nice... but do you want to carry two cameras on you all the time? lol and if you come across something and only have the video camera with you.. you can't get a good quality still image. I know the harddrive camcorders you can take still images. but most likly if you look, its only 2-3 megapixles.

Btw, what are you going to do with the brownie?

Woody
04-26-2009, 10:15 AM
The Box Brownie will go, i have no use for it, i'll never even attempt to use it! It is in great condition still, as is the leather case it is in, there was another little round leather case with it and inside there was a telephoto lens as well that even has the end cap still, that is in great condition as well. So it looks like the Fuji and the Brownie will have to go and i'll keep the Olympus and try and improve my skills!

Woody
04-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Stupid me!...I've just been on ebay to see what the Brownies are fetching and it isn't even what i've got! (luckily as they aren't going for much!) I have a Super Ricohflex twin lens box camera in a leather case and i've just looked at them and the only ones on ebay are from the States, there's none in England, anyway, when i get round to it, it will have it's picture taken and will be sold!

Woody
04-29-2009, 06:21 AM
Here's the weird looking old Camera with the extra Tele Lens.

jwm
04-29-2009, 11:33 AM
WOW! Beautiful camera! Do you know what format film it takes or what model it is? I'll bet that's worth some money! :ok:

Woody
04-29-2009, 02:06 PM
It says MADE IN JAPAN all over it and the extra Lens so that can't be a bad thing!...it says 35mm on it as well, so i'm presuming it means the film?...I haven't taken it out of it's case and had a look at it properly as i wouldn't know what i was looking at anyway! :lol:

jwm
04-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Yea 35mm is film, I was more wondering if it was a large format camera..

MillerPhoto
04-29-2009, 10:52 PM
It was originally designed for 120 film. But there is a cone adapter that alows you to use 35mm film. With out seeing the camera in person its hard to give more info then that. Those cameras usually sell for between $50-$150 depending on the condition of the camera.. Not just the body, but the ease of turning of the knobs. as the old grease gets very thick, also the condition of the lens and such. alot of factors come into play for determining price of used cameras.

Woody
04-30-2009, 03:29 AM
Thanks Mr Miller, i know next to nothing about this Camera....The Lens has no marks on it and the extra one is also clean, the knobs turn easy enough and the condition is pretty good i reckon!

MillerPhoto
04-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Well at the moment, I am un able to. But if you still have the camera in a month or so I might be interested in purchasing it off you. I collect old cameras, and my current oldest dates back to 1921. Yours was produced around 1958. I would rather buy off someone personally then going through EBay.

Woody
05-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Sounds good to me, i've got a hundred and 1 things i'm selling at the minute and it's going to take months and months to shift everything i have. You let me know if you want it and any info you need me to give you on the Camera beforehand and i'll try my best to answer you! Cheers, Woody.