PDA

View Full Version : do you use spoons?

araret
05-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I was just talking with Master Basser on the TO Islands, and he said that he never caught anything on spoons.
But for me, all my pike strikes were on spoons (little cleo)...

do you guys use spoons? if so, what do you catch?

MillerPhoto
05-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Only spoons I have really used is the same as you.. the Little Cleo, usually Blue and White.. catch Rainbow in the summer. Other then that, havn't really used them. But going to be trying more this summer using them for Pike.

pierre
05-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Hi

when you speak of spoon is it only spoons as little cleo or also spinner?

I m using spoon a lot for pike(aglia n°4-5, but also big mepps syclops ) for trute (aglia 0,1,2; panthere marteen, syclops 00) and perch and more or less a mix of bothe for perch.

KenReece
05-06-2009, 08:44 AM
I would say about 80-90% of my fishing for Pike are spoons. While I like little cleos Williams Wobler and Williams Bullies get most of my fish. The 4" Gold/Silver Wobler is a great lure for all conditions, and the Bullies tend to get a little deeper so great for casting off shelves or trolling outside of weedbeds. Also get a lot of walleye on spoons also, and if in a lake with Trout its a killer.

szomo.ca
05-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Heck , spoons are great ....

another powerful tool in your tackle would be a jigging spoon ... for vertical presentations for bass , white fish ... etc etc ...

very good when the weather isnt so nice and those fish are down in the warmer water ...

MSBruno
05-06-2009, 09:18 AM
I've tried the famous 5 o diamonds, but recently I've not used any spoons. In-line Spinners and Jerk-Baits here.

jwm
05-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Big Johnson spoons are awesome in thick weeds. A good backup lure for spring pike IMO.

araret
05-06-2009, 05:15 PM
so far, all my catches are on spoons, and I was wondering where I can get some of the other brands... I currently go to a little side shop that only stock little cleo for spoons... do you guys go to bass pro or something closer in downtown?

also, I noticed that all the fish that I catch / lost are in the morning (before 10AM)... I know that dawn/dusk fishing is suppose to be the best, but what do you guys think?

MSBruno
05-06-2009, 06:15 PM
I live 5 min from Bass Pro.

Love it!

Let me know if you want anything, I'll pick it up for you.

jwm
05-06-2009, 06:51 PM
so far, all my catches are on spoons, and I was wondering where I can get some of the other brands... I currently go to a little side shop that only stock little cleo for spoons... do you guys go to bass pro or something closer in downtown?

also, I noticed that all the fish that I catch / lost are in the morning (before 10AM)... I know that dawn/dusk fishing is suppose to be the best, but what do you guys think?

There is a good place at rogers and dufferin, decent selection of gear though I don't recall any big musky baits but I could be wrong. Anyway the place is family owned and has been there a very long time 30-40 years if I'm not mistaken. I'll see if I can find the name and address for you if a quick google search can't locate it for you. Right now I'm riding a go train and typing on my iPhone.

KenReece
05-07-2009, 08:55 AM
For Williams spoons(pretty much all I use and very productive) I usually buy them at Cabalas, I do almost all my other shopping at Bass Pro but they do not carry Williams! :angry2: Also Jon is right, no tackle box should be without the Johnson Silver Minnow with a 3-4" curly tail, great for getting into the deep weeds where the big fish like to stay cool in warm weather or middle of the day-also its pretty much weedless.

As far as time of day goes, I believe Pike are always ready to feed. If you are only catching them in morning/evening-maybe try a little deeper during the midday. Work the outskirts of where they where, and sometimes concentrate on slower deeper presentations. Up in NW Ontario we have never noticed any difference in time of day for catching Pike, Walleye on the other hand seem to congregate more in the mornings/evenings.

Master Basser
05-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Araret is correct, I have never caught on a spoon, but this doesnt mean I won`t throw them, and i will catch on a spoon this year...it will take a little time, but I will catch. I just got some new cleos and some mepps and a cyclops, all of witch I will be trowing over the next few weeks...and my new Black fury # 3 mepp...I love it...check out my post!!

Gary Switlick
05-07-2009, 01:04 PM
mmmmm walleye delicious!

araret
05-07-2009, 06:56 PM
thanks guys, I'll see if I can find myself some of the lures mentioned above ^^

I think im starting to get the hang of this "cast" fishing... I've gotta say its very different from fishing with live bait,

I live 5 min from Bass Pro.

Love it!

Let me know if you want anything, I'll pick it up for you.

I'm so jealous >< my closest fishing store is like 30min bus ride away

Clive
05-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Johnson Silver minnow and Dardvl spoons have produced some nice pike for me in the past - definetly good lures to invest in!

legacey
05-14-2009, 01:24 PM
If anyone has heard of them, I find the Nasty girl spoons are incredible for anything that swims.

Last weekend, I fished teh Deseronto Yacht Club derby. Gave up on walleye on the Quinte and started fishing pike. I came in first for pike, my Dad 2nd for walleye. I was using it but also caught bass and a dog fish over 10lbs.

I've seen Nasty boy spooons at CTC but they're too light and more for riggers. My buddy contacted the company and they were discontinued so he bought all that they had in stock. Unfortunately, I'm down to my last 3 but if you ever see them, they're by far the best spoon I've ever used.

I think what sets them apart are holes drilled thru the centre of the spoon...maybe causes a different vibration and sound.

cheers

Woody
05-14-2009, 01:46 PM
You might be on to something there (as everyone just gets a drill out and modifies the spoons they already have!)

MillerPhoto
05-14-2009, 02:19 PM
I had one something like that about 5 years ago.. it looked like chrome 5 of diamonds, but the diamonds were the cut outs.. lure was about 2 inch in length.. was fishing Brighton Bay when I lost it.. Didn't even have a chance to see the fish it just ran and I snaped the line before he peeled my reel!! Im thinking a big pike/musky.. I was only running 8lb line and was fishing for bass. It worked awsome for bass and bows.

araret
05-15-2009, 01:00 PM
If anyone has heard of them, I find the Nasty girl spoons are incredible for anything that swims.

Last weekend, I fished teh Deseronto Yacht Club derby. Gave up on walleye on the Quinte and started fishing pike. I came in first for pike, my Dad 2nd for walleye. I was using it but also caught bass and a dog fish over 10lbs.

I've seen Nasty boy spooons at CTC but they're too light and more for riggers. My buddy contacted the company and they were discontinued so he bought all that they had in stock. Unfortunately, I'm down to my last 3 but if you ever see them, they're by far the best spoon I've ever used.

I think what sets them apart are holes drilled thru the centre of the spoon...maybe causes a different vibration and sound.

cheers

I've seen them (nasty boy spoon) at my tiny local fishing store... I've gotta say they're pretty thin and lightweight and its used for rigging (can't cast them more than 20 feet :sorry:). The holes drilled in them are pretty weird... They dont really wobble or spin as much as other spoons cause the water would just rush through the holes, but I guess thats what they're meant to do right?

legacey
05-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey araret,

You're right...the NB are for rigging. Way too light to cast and retrieve with.

If you do ever see the NG, scoop them up and you'll be glad you did. I'm still searching for more but have exhausted all tackle shops around my area.

Cheers

cbiegel
06-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I pretty much just use spoons for fishing rivers for trout. Here’s a little rainbow I caught last weekend in upstate NY.

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/cbiegel/th_IMG_0826.jpg (http://s680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/cbiegel/?action=view&current=IMG_0826.jpg)