PDA

View Full Version : WaveSpin Reel

Kokemachine
12-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Hey Folks, sorry I disappeared for a while. My dad took a dive and shattered his femur. It makes my leg tweak just thinking about it.

Anyway, I recently ordered the WaveSpin DH3000 fishing reel. This baby promises to be tangle free on accounts of it's revolutionary spool design. As you can see it has a saw blade like structure on the top of the reel. Allegedly this catches the line as you cast and and prevents slack line from catching onto any loops that may be in your spool waiting to form a birds nest. Some might look at this product and think, "GIMMICK!!!", but unfortunately for me my fishing game is so often rudely interrupted by nasty tangles that I bought this reel desperately hoping that it does what they say it does. Up to this point I've always assumed that it was the line that was the cause of the problems. I'm partial to braids and I've tried nearly every brand hoping to find one less prone to tangles. No luck! Hopefully I can get some casting in before the ice covers all.

I ordered the reel directly from the company in the US and had to pay 30$ shipping and 21$ of duty. This might be enough to deter most international buyers from giving this reel a try. It certainly chapped my a$$, but I'll let you know if it's worth while.

jwm
12-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Ive heard good things about these reels and if Im not mistaken Clive even has one. We're so backed up with stuff he'll probably not get around to writing a review for it, but if you're interested in writing one I'd love to publish it and I trust your opinion.

jwm
12-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Oh, and I'm sorry to hear about your dad. The femur is the largest bone in the human body, kind makes me woozy thinking about what that must have sounded like.. :o

bettercallsaul
12-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Interesting concept, I hope to hear how it works out for you

Kokemachine
12-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Hopefully I can get a chance to test it out next week then I'll write up a review for sure.

Adam
01-26-2012, 09:07 PM
All the Himalayan Golden Mahseer I caught in India in 2009 were on a Wavespin reel wrapped with 60lb braid. Did the job very well casting big lures all day every day for 7 days straight. Don't think it tangled even once despite some tough conditions.

Kokemachine
01-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Awesome! I look forward to some tangle free fishing!

bass pro
02-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Hey Folks, sorry I disappeared for a while. My dad took a dive and shattered his femur. It makes my leg tweak just thinking about it.

Anyway, I recently ordered the WaveSpin DH3000 fishing reel. This baby promises to be tangle free on accounts of it's revolutionary spool design. As you can see it has a saw blade like structure on the top of the reel. Allegedly this catches the line as you cast and and prevents slack line from catching onto any loops that may be in your spool waiting to form a birds nest. Some might look at this product and think, "GIMMICK!!!", but unfortunately for me my fishing game is so often rudely interrupted by nasty tangles that I bought this reel (http://www.fishingmarin.com/spinning-reel/) desperately hoping that it does what they say it does. Up to this point I've always assumed that it was the line that was the cause of the problems. I'm partial to braids and I've tried nearly every brand hoping to find one less prone to tangles. No luck! Hopefully I can get some casting in before the ice covers all.

I ordered the reel directly from the company in the US and had to pay 30$ shipping and 21$ of duty. This might be enough to deter most international buyers from giving this reel a try. It certainly chapped my a$$, but I'll let you know if it's worth while.

How about your new reel pal? is it fit the description?

Kokemachine
02-07-2012, 09:01 AM
I have given the reel a few test runs. So far so good. But I also know that those birds nests come after a good amount of use. I really want to put the grills to it before I can say it's as effective as it's supposed to be. So far I can say it casts like a breeze and it's smooth on the retrieve.

cbiegel
02-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Considering that these guys tend to use and review top of the line gear costing hundreds of dollars, they seemed to like the Wavespin.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewwavespin.html

Clive
02-27-2012, 11:58 AM
I got one of these shortly after they came out a few years back. I liked the idea, but to be honest I havent had any issues with tangling on my spinning reels. That being said, I've always invested a few bucks on better reels.

For its price this is a solid reel with out without the gimmick. I never got a review done because I've never managed to catch a fish on it! It does however cast well and I have never had a tangle.

Kokemachine
02-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Clive, what is a good price range for a better reel? I usually top off at about 80$ but I do have a reel that was a gift that was about 210$ and I've still had a few birds nests on that one.

jwm
02-28-2012, 11:53 AM
The only issues I had with tangles on a spinning reel was using super thin braid and probably too much line. Other than that I dont have any issues really.

cbiegel
02-28-2012, 02:42 PM
If I'm not careful about line twist I can get some serious wind knots which create the loops that the Wavespin is suppose to compensate for.

jwm
02-28-2012, 05:32 PM
If I'm not careful about line twist I can get some serious wind knots which create the loops that the Wavespin is suppose to compensate for.

What kind of fishing are you doing? Shore fishing? light/ultralight fishing? casting big heavy baits?

cbiegel
03-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Generally happens when casting lighter lures/plastics into wind or anytime I use inline spinners without high-end swivels.

Clive
03-15-2012, 09:57 AM
koke: $80 is a good price point for a spinning reel. From 80-$110 you wont notice much difference IMO. Once you start using reels $140+ you really feel the quality difference and for people who fish a lot, spending the extra $50 will pretty much guarantee that your reel will last much longer.

jwm
03-15-2012, 10:53 AM
I got one of these shortly after they came out a few years back. I liked the idea, but to be honest I havent had any issues with tangling on my spinning reels. That being said, I've always invested a few bucks on better reels.

For its price this is a solid reel with out without the gimmick. I never got a review done because I've never managed to catch a fish on it! It does however cast well and I have never had a tangle.

Maybe you should send it to me since I sent you my Quantum Cabo :P