PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Rig Discussion

jwm
02-08-2012, 09:34 PM
I was recently emailed by one of our readers asking what we think about the alabama rig. Here is what I told him.

For those who are unaware the alabama rig is a wire rig that supports multiple plastic swimbaits, its like a freshwater version of the spreader bars you see used for marlin. Here is a short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Lk0suXi7Vtc

I'm don't really know what to think about the Alabama rig, I'm not even sure if it's legal here in Canada. I've seen some guys win tournaments in the states with them though and there's tons of videos of guys catching 2-3 bass at a time on youtube. I guess I have the luck of not being a tournament angler and never feeling the pressure of a pay check at the end of my line. I fish for the love of the outdoors, and have been increasingly seeking even more "pure" (read another way- difficult) forms of fishing, like drifting and fly fishing. It's like looking at the hottest new shotgun, but I'm a bow hunter. I get it, but I don't get it at the very same time.

What do you think?

Kokemachine
02-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I came across this rig recently. I think as long as there are only four hooks on it it should be legal in Ontario. Obviously the one pictured has 5.

It seems like one hell of a mass to have to cast out over and over again. Also, catching two fish on one rig is cool when it happens as a novelty, but if you have to regularly fight multiple fish with them fighting each other it would be like hauling in a log than fishing.

I've enjoyed fishing tandem rigs with something like a deep diver with a grub trailing 18 inches behind with mixed results. It can be a fun game to play, but the Alabama rig definitely takes the cake on the multi-lure rig front.

araret
02-09-2012, 09:58 PM
like Kokemachine said, as long as we remove the middle hook, and have a total of 4 hooks, it is legal in Ontario.

That being said, many people only fish from the shore, and it doesn't look too aerodynamic, so it'll be hard to throw a long distance. That being said, i really think it's a great idea, and I think that it just looks like a school of minnows swimming together.

I wouldn't mind getting one and using it for our favourite TO pike (since it's all steel cables for each individual jig head).

cbiegel
02-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Basically illegal here in Massachusetts (2 hooks per line) and completely illegal in Maine. I think some version might be ok in RI, CT and VT but I’m not sure.

Either way, we use a more robust version when trolling for bluefish and striped bass (bigger than the Alabama rig but smaller than stuff used for billfish).

Perhaps it would catch more bass for anglers looking to make a paycheck but I’ve got to say, I don’t have any interest in heaving that thing all day purely for my own gratification.