Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Serious Fly Fishing Setup

Only $10K for this beauty!

But seriously, Loop reels would be a great choice at a reasonable price. The Evotec CLWC looks sweet, should hold up in salt really well, and comes in large sizes.

Some say it looks cheap, but I like it a lot.

Thanks

This is absolutly mental, it's like everyone is speaking a different language!...I've just mastered the gear i have for normal everyday fishing let alone, loading rods and different weights etc!!! :fool:

Thanks

Rod weight is only the tip of the iceberg my friend, wait till the discussion of tippets and tapered lines begin!

Thanks

I like to tie my own lines. 16 inches of 15lb, 24 inches of 10, and 36 inches of 8. That is my standard setup for trout and salmon. Pike get the same with the addition of a small steel leader at the end.
    On the kings I use a 40, 25, 17. Grayling get 8, 6, 4.

Jon, one 7 weight pole should get you started. Just pick a pole with a lifetime warranty, for when you slam it in a car door or your buddy steps on it, and one QUALITY reel with at least one, if not two, extra spools. Think line capacity, corrosion resistance, and setting up the spools for different fish. :umnik:

The view from here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails denali winter.jpg  

Thanks

According to the Urban Fly Fisher I should probably stay away from these things.

Purchased one of these recently. Iíve had six sea trout with it, but no thanks to the reel. It literally fell to pieces each time. This would either happen as Iím getting the fish onto the reel, or as Iím reeling the fish in.

Initially I thought it was a one-off dud. The vendor replaced it straight away with no quibbles (GAC for anyone wondering - theyíre not all bad!). Unfortunately the replacement has exactly the same problem.

It seems like the thread on the spool retention screw is too shallow. Being plastic , itís more malleable which I think would cause the thread to become damaged over time. Each time the reel failed, the screw would fall out, causing the boss and spool to also fall into the water. Just as well the bits float eh!

Just my opinion, but these reels are utter mince.
    http://urbanflyfisher.com/loop-evotec-clwc/

Honestly I like the minimalist look and manufacturing of this reel, but I don't think I would want to take an untested reel like that on the trip of a lifetime for pike or tarpon.

Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

Yeah I read that too, but further down they mention that there was a confirmed bad batch of these reels, and the rest are fine. The likelihood of getting on from that batch are pretty small at this point. Loop is a solid company and they stand by their reels and replace them if defective.

Thanks

I'm trying to see if I can get my hands on one and see what I think.

Thanks

I found a loop evotech CLW in toronto for the right price. I'll be picking it up later today!

Thanks

Nice!!

Thanks

Got my loop reel!! It's super light, and feels pretty well built in my opinion, is definitely a solid composite. Pictures coming later!