Thanks

Epic Roadtrip to the Arctic

Hello Everybody,

I am planning a road trip from Toronto to Inuvik, NWT, and I am looking for someone who would be interested in taking the journey with me. The trip is around 19 days, from May 26th to June 13th, 2013. Please look at this hyperlink to see the proposed routes and daily stops.

Several highlights of the trip include:
    • Claim to have driven through all of the western Canadian provinces and two northern territories
    • Lots and lots of fishing (target species of goldeye, dolly varden, bull trout, very rare chance of sturgeon, and inconnu)
    • Drive down the epic Dempster Highway and Alaskan Highway (beautiful pictures here)
    • Watson Lake and the sign-post forest
    • Be a Canadian that has actually visited the Arctic Circle (and the town of Inuvik, NWT)

I am looking for someone to share the costs with, such as fuel, car rental, food & lodging. The ideal scenario would be three people on this trip, and all costs are shared equally. Also, having G license and over 25 years old is a bonus to get cheap car rental rate.

A little about myself, I am a Chinese-Canadian with valid G license and good driving record. I like to cook and keep things somewhat clean, but also enjoy roughing it out by camping. I do not smoke at all, and only drink moderately. I like photography and fishing, and I want to go on this trip since I am finally graduating from University. It'll be my chance to explore the world and grow-up before working. I have first-aid knowledge, and a lot of hiking, camping and outdoors experience.

The trip will include around 7 ~ 10hrs of driving per day and the rest of the time fishing or doing photography, subject to changes.

Please PM me if anyone is interested.
    mmMMmmm... bet that fish tastes good!

Thanks
    Oh man, sounds like an awesome trip! I'm sure someone here will be down for the adventure. If I had some extra money kicking around (and the time!) I'd go.
    Glad to see you planning adventures man, a lot of people miss out on these great experiences when they are younger and they become more challenging when you are older (not to mention more expensive if you have kids!). I hope it works out so I can see all the photos!

Thanks
    Thanks for the encouragement. I can't wait to get there and see everything!
    mmMMmmm... bet that fish tastes good!

Physically in Toronto, mentally in Hawaii!
    Thanks
    Crap!!! If I didn't have so many fishing trips planned in May and June already, I would be ALL over this!

Sounds like an awesome adventure man!!! Can't wait to see some picture later and read the travelogue!

BTW, I didn't see some of these targets...

Arctic Grayling
    Mountain Whitefish
    Westslope Cutthroat Trout

You're driving through Dawson Creek and Fort. St. John. I have a location around Chetwynd to suggest to you if you're interested. It is about 2 hours of a side trek from your main route, but I've caught Arctic Grayling, Mountain Whitefish and Bull Trout at that location on two separate trips. The fish don't get big in that little stream...but we've caught grayling up to 12", mountain whitefish up to 12" and bull trout up to 14". If you're interested, PM me.

Just a little concerned about your trip planning though...your trip is 85 hours of driving one way. Assuming a regular diving day of 8 hours a day, that's 10 days of driving one way. I count 10 stops between Toronto and Inuvik and I would assume that those would be your daily progression. Having planned these big road trips before, here's a suggestion...plan more days into this trip.

At the current plan, you're really pushing everyday. Realistically, there is not much time for fishing and you'll be extremely tired by the time you reach Inuvik. You'll also run short on time to return on schedule if there is any unexpected delays (weather, road condition, etc).

If there are some locations you've identified to fish, I would suggest stopping at least 2 days at each major fishing locations. This not only give you time to rest up, but it'll allow you to enjoy the fishing, fish at the peak times of day, and also give you some wiggle room if there is any delay.

For example, we were just heading out of Terrace one day when the only main highway out of terrace was blocked by a mud slide. Luckily we were blocked for only an hour since most of that debris was already cleared. It could have been a longer delay if we had left earlier and needed to get somewhere quickly.

The further north you go, the more unexpected situations can occur...and some of these highways are only 2 lane highway...so if the roads are closed for whatever reason, you're delays with nowhere else to detour around.

If you like, PM me and I can help you with a bit of trip planning.
    Last edited by MuskieBait; 04-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Life List: 386 species and counting
    http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot...cies-list.html