Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

casting reels vs spinning reels

Does anyone know why casting reels are set up the opposite way from spinning reels?

I like the fact that with spinning reels I can use my dominant to work the rod which is more fatiguing than reeling. On the other hand I like the strength of a casting reel as well as the control you have over your cast. I just donít like jigging, twitching, etc with my non dominant arm. I still cast both types with my dominant arm but I have to switch hands with my casting reel.

Thanks

Re: casting reels vs spinning reels

With every reel I have ,I always have it set up so that I reel with my left hand and hold the rod with my right, always have done and will do. Even when fishing a baitcaster.

Thanks

You should be able to find casting reels in both hands these days. I use left handers for both spinning and cast - same reason as you, i prefer the dominant hand supporting the rod

Thanks

Oh great, now Iíve got to replace all my casting reels! Well, at least one left handed reel so I can see if I really do like it (canít see why I wouldnít).

Thatís one great thing about spinning reels. The vast majority can be switched to either hand.

Does anyone know why casting reels are set up the way they are? ie. You need to buy ďleft-handedĒ models if you are right handed and want to reel with your left hand. There must be some reason even if itís not relevant anymore.

Thanks

There's nothing like an easy question is there?!!! :sarcastic:

Thanks

Ah Ha!! From Wikipedia"

"Bait casting reel
    Bait casting reels are reels in which line is stored on a bearing supported revolving spool. The bait casting reel is mounted above the rod, hence its other (though rarely used) name, the overhead reel. The bait casting reel dates from at least the mid-1600s, but came into wide use by amateur anglers during the 1870s. Early bait casting reels were often constructed with brass or iron gears, with casings and spools made of brass, German silver, or hard rubber. Early reels were often operated by inverting the reel and using back winding to retrieve line. For this reason, the reel crank handle was positioned on the right side of the reel.[6] As a result, the right-hand crank position for bait casting reels has become customary over the years, though models with left-hand retrieve are now gaining in popularity. Many of today's bait casting reels are constructed using aluminum, stainless steel, and/or synthetic composite materials. They typically include a level-wind mechanism to prevent the line from being trapped under itself on the spool during rewind and interfering with subsequent casts. Many are also fitted with anti-reverse handles and drags designed to slow runs by large and powerful game fish. Because the momentum of the forward cast must rotate the spool as well as propel the fishing lure, bait casting designs normally require heavier lures for proper operation than with other types of reels. The gear ratio in bait casting reels was initially about 3/1, later standardized at 4/1 in most reels, but recent developments have seen many bait casting reels with gear ratios as high as 5.5/1 or even higher. Higher gear ratios allow much faster retrieval of line, but sacrifice a small amount of power in exchange."

Thanks

Hah that seems pretty stupid to me, but what do I know. Anytime I see someone with a spinning rod upside down I laugh :sarcastic:, now if I saw someone with a baitcaster upside down and back reeling I'll point and laugh!

All that said, I reel with my left hand, no other option for me.
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

What baffles me even more, is that in all the local shops here the spinning reels are set to left handed, but you cant find a left handed baitcast reel. Of course, and bigger shop will carry several options for left hand baitcasters.

Thanks

I'm Right Handed.. and Write and Play Tennis, Throw and Reel Right Handed... But I Golf and Play Baseball Left Handed.. Well Golf I can play eaither hand, but best with Left Hand.

So For fishing I have never had a problem :sarcastic:

Thanks

Now thats just odd. I play all sports and write right handed, but reel left and shoot pool left.