Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thanks

Fish Finder, which one?

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a cheap fish finder with my buddy. We are not looking to break the bank, we don't fish every weekend or anything like that. we don't even own a boat, which leads to my first question: Can all fish finders be easily attached to a rental boat (ie. 14 or 16 ft aluminum)?

out of these 2, which do you guys think is the better one?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...h%2BFinder.jsp

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...009020#reviews

Thanks!!

Thanks

Re: Fish Finder, which one?

The humminbird one looks a lot nicer to me. Ive never seen or held a piranamax in person, so I can't speak to their quality. Humminbird is a solid brand for finders, but Ive never used that model.

You would need to build something for the sensor, and maybe for the screen. It doesnt have to be complicated, could be made of wood, you would affix the sensor to a block of wood and then secure that to your rented boat via a small vice, or something to secure it to the boat, that you can carry around and take on an off quickly as you probably wont want to drive full speed with it still in the water. At least thats what Ive seen people do.
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

First off both ones you are looking for are not made for portable use. Go back to the Bass Pro website and look under PORTABLE fishfinders, Hummingbird makes a great one for about $110.00(I own 2). I take this one up to Canada on my 2 week fishing trips all the time and have never had a problem hooking them up to the 14'-16' boats they supply. Portable ones have a carrying case with a suction cup(Yes they work) transducer. Big thing you want to look for is what is the power req.- make sure to get one that takes AA Batterres or D Batteries-do not get one that only uses a 12volt battery. I say this because the 12volts do not hold charge well and seem to die, where as I put 8 AA Batteries in mine and it runs all day every day for a week before needed to change them.

I've used these for the last 11 years and both Hummingbird and Eagle have been great. Hope this helps.

Thanks

i have the same one kenny has it uses the AA batteries and it works awesome the suction cup works well but if you are worried about that you can get a clamp on bracket that works well also for about 25-35 bucks

Thanks

thanks all! all the posts were very helpful, as I do not know the first thing about using one of these. I will check out the portable ones, i didn't realize it was that much of a hassle to use a reg one on rentals.

Thanks

fish finders are very much an industry where you get what you pay for ...

personally ? small budget ? portable ?

buy a super cheap flasher they use for ice fishing for depth maybe but i would personally get one of those underwater cameras ....

they run around $200 , and you will far exceed what you know below the water , it will give you a much more interesting look at whats going on down there ... they are cheap , portable , and very very very fun to use ...

if you want something to give you the depth , the one jon mentioned might be your only option but dont count on actually using it to mark fish ...

me personally , i have one of the more expensive units humminbird makes with side imaging and all that jazzz ... i still mostly use it to identify depths , structure below ( ie rocks, sand , stumps ) and water temperature ... i also use the gps built in with a navionics map chip to mark and identify contours underwater ....

but an actual camera would be an awesomething to have handy ... it will take alot of guessing out of it ... typically if your using a rental and anchoring alot orsomething like that drifting ? best thing to be able to actually see everything down there ...

in reality , other then the numbers , the depths , the temps and advantages of maps on chips ... your experience on the water will always be the definative factor in finding fish ... those other things are just cruches so you dont run around aimlessly looking for some good spots ...

most good spots can be spotted by the naked eye through experience on the water ... nothing in this world replaces time on the water and thats really the true fish finder ....

hope that sums up everything in a nutshell sorta ...

Thanks

I agree with Szomo on this, I also own the top of the line Hummingbird on my boat with all the side/charts and so on. But he is looking for something he can throw on different small Jon boats and such, and the hummingbird portable fishfinder has been a HUGE help in finding fish up in Canada for us.

Thanks

thanks guys (lots of info szomo!)..i will have to look around, prob go w/ the portable type.

Thanks

If you havent heard of the Hummingbird Fishin buddy. get out to your local big box store's fishing section
    or visit a tackle shop that carries Humming bird fish finders. this is an old post so your proably ahead of me
    on this one but. Get a Greyscale or color screen Paranamax 160 or 190. dont worry about spliting cost unless
    your sharing the boat too by the way. The most people are going to spend on one is 2000$.

Thanks
    Maybe you should look in to this one

http://crownassets.pwgsc.gc.ca/mn-en...&ltnf=1&test=1