Thanks

Baitcasting reels revisited

Some of you might remember my post about the reasons behind baitcasting reels being the opposite of spinning reels when it come to which hand you reel with.

I was in Dick’s Sporting Good and had my first opportunity to handle and reel that was made for left handed people (ie one that had the handle on the same side as a spinning reel for right handed people). A lot of folks here use these reels but I was surprised to find that it felt really funny to me. I think I must be conditioned to the “normal” reel since all my baitcasting/conventional reels are like that.

Did any of you guys that use the “left handed” reels feel that they felt a little strange at first? Did you just start out with the left handed version?

Thanks

Re: Baitcasting reels revisited

They never felt weird to me . I mean they did feel different but i almost immediatly liked the feel the rod. overall it makes it feel like you have more lower end power to set the hook with your forearm. Its for throwing bigger baits and working heavier line .

I'm still confused by peoples hands , left , right etc ... you should have 1 arm thats strong .. this should always be your casting / hooksetting arm. and you should have a hand which is weaker retrieving.. You need the most sensative and reactive hand controlling the rod and the other is to reel thats the only way i look at it..

I cast with my right , reel with my left and it doesnt matter if its baitcasting

Thanks

I feel the same way as Szomo said it. Both baitcasters I own reel in on the left. I still don't baitcast enough to fully weigh in but this way always felt comfortable to me.

Thanks

I certainly agree that you can best control the rod with your strong arm but I guess I’ve just been using the standard reels too long. I don’t know if I want to put the cash down for a reel that I might never love the feel of.

Thanks

only get it if you need it ... If the attributes of the type of reel it is falls into your needs as an angler then get it ... If its just for the sake of having one because someone said so , meehh not so important.

As mentioned before , the rods used to cast with these and the type of line and really everything is increased . It allows you to throw baits over half an ounce should something call for that . I would be hard pressed to see a muskie or pike angler using spinning tackle much ( i only did for pike with a jerkbait but that falls under personal pref)

Just weight your options and if its something you need to have to fish a particular way then thats all the reason you need , otherwise theres nothing wrong with spinning tackle ...

i have more spinning rods then baitcasters myself . I actuallly find that the type of fishing i do , when i use spinning tackle im usually fishing for bigger more lathargic fish .... slow presentations , light line , superior sensativity.

with baitcasters your more power fishing , casting and casting , and feel isnt going to be a strong point ... and you typically wont throw tubes , jigs ( unless 1/2 ounce or more ) drop shot etc ..

I find that with spinning tackle its a better balance with the fish , your not ripping the hook into them , you have a rod a lil more forgiving , and its super sensative ...

Thanks

I never understood the guys that cast right and reel right. Just like Martin, I cast right, reel left - both spinning and baitcat. Switching back and fourth would really be weird I think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szomo.ca
    only get it if you need it ... If the attributes of the type of reel it is falls into your needs as an angler then get it ... If its just for the sake of having one because someone said so , meehh not so important.

As mentioned before , the rods used to cast with these and the type of line and really everything is increased . It allows you to throw baits over half an ounce should something call for that . I would be hard pressed to see a muskie or pike angler using spinning tackle much ( i only did for pike with a jerkbait but that falls under personal pref)

Just weight your options and if its something you need to have to fish a particular way then thats all the reason you need , otherwise theres nothing wrong with spinning tackle ...

i have more spinning rods then baitcasters myself . I actuallly find that the type of fishing i do , when i use spinning tackle im usually fishing for bigger more lathargic fish .... slow presentations , light line , superior sensativity.

with baitcasters your more power fishing , casting and casting , and feel isnt going to be a strong point ... and you typically wont throw tubes , jigs ( unless 1/2 ounce or more ) drop shot etc ..

I find that with spinning tackle its a better balance with the fish , your not ripping the hook into them , you have a rod a lil more forgiving , and its super sensative ...
    I fish three different baitcasters already it’s just that I got my first one 15 years ago when there weren’t as many options for left handed versions. I've just grown used to having to switch hands and the left handed reel felt a little funny.

I totally agree that they are almost required for casting the bigger lures; if for no other reason than you can use a much smaller reel with the heavy lure when using a baitcasting reel. I use a big Penn 750 when surf casting but I would never want to have to use something that large in fresh water (with constant casting) so I use a baitcaster to throw similar weights.

For me, in fresh water it’s spinning for light plastics and baitcasters for heavy hard baits and spinnerbaits.

Thanks

Hey Szomo, you say you would be hard pressed to see Spinning gear being used for Musky or Pike, why is that?...Over here, it's all people use when Fishing for Pike (unless they're deadbaiting and then it can be a lot of different gear)

Thanks

I guess i should have choosen my words more carefully ...

With spinning gear in particular if your casting a 2 ounce plug or spinner your casting ability isnt great . You have this whip effect that puts alot of stress on the rod and even pinning the line on your finger just comes off as a slow whip. Its also never going to be as accurate , like if your trying to hit certain cover . With a baitcasting outfit its rolling off a spool insted of coiling off which is ALOT slower and when your casting your bigger baits you want to have more control of the line tappering off to make a solid cast ( both precision and distance ) you get that with the magnetic spooling , and the finger on the spool.

You'll find the casting rods outfits are alot less whippy .. and i think thats most noticable on big baits ...

Now around where you fish you say they use mostly spinning thats totally cool . I would be curious though as to what their method is of catching those fish... if your trolling around with a plug or inline . That would be totally fine to run a spinning outfit . Casting is not a factor then it doesnt really matter what you use.

but for those baitcasting , you would immediatly see the benefits on throwing those big plugs with a degree of accuracy on baitcasting tackle ..

Thanks

My understanding that frequently in Europe (and a lot of the rest of the world if fishing shows are correct) they use big spinning reels that you’d see being used in saltwater over here. I know I’ve seen baitrunners used in fresh water which a lot of people use for striped bass here. Quite long poles as well to get the casting distance.

I don’t think you see a lot of large/small mouth type tackle outside North America. At least as far as low profile baitcasters go. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

On your control point, I totally agree. I love that you can thumb the spool and get your lure to drop right in exactly where you wanted it.