Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks

to snap swivel, or not to snap swivel.....

I used to be restricted to snap swivels, and could not imagine life without them. My friend stopped using them, citing they added awkward weight, messed with the action of most lures, and weren't that helpful anyway. I thought he was crazy, but I actually tried it, and I haven't touched one in months (granted I also had a horrible experience with a batch of Eagle Claw swivels I bought). But I found the same things he did. I haven't had a single line twist problem, (probably due to PowerPro), and I think it really improves the natural action that was intended for the lure. I used to use them solely for convenience but I've found that I'm not bothered with cutting and retying. I think it makes me a better fisherman, I get more used to fishing with one thing for longer.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Re: to snap swivel, or not to snap swivel.....

It really depends on the lure I think. The convenience of not having to re-tie, not to mention not losing a small amount of line everytime is very powerful. Most of the time I do use a leader or a snap swivel, and I have not noticed any overwhelming issues, some lures like crankbaits, will have a strange sinking pattern (nose first) and can also have a strange action as the swivel disrupts the water in front of the bill.

So the answer is... it all depends on your application!
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

I stopped using swivels 4-5 years ago and I dont miss them at all. It takes no more then 10 seconds to tie a good knot. Smaller lures definitely will respond better with no swivel and the biggest benefit is less tackle to fail on you!

There are a few lures that I like the addition weight, such as top water lures. Sometime a little weight from a swivel can make them sub surface, or give them a really slow sinking action that has proven to be pretty deadly for pike.

Thanks

I'm a 50/50 kind of person with swivels.

I use them for cranks, and although not recommended by some others, spinner baits too.

I find no matter what; tied directly or when using these on SB's, the line creeps away from the crook. With a swivel, as soon as I cast, I give a quick snap of my rod and since it's not as tight on the wire as a direct knot, it will for the most part, return to the crook again.

Cheers

Thanks

i never use swivels, i don't want to impede my lure/live bait action.

I also never use leaders for the same reason....then again my luck with catching pike and musky is almost non-existent.

Thanks

i only use swivels when fishing for pike and muskie. always on a leader. the best ones i have found are spro brand they are extremely strong and have a bearing in them. they are very smooth and i get no line trwist at all i also have never had one fail. the down side is they are very expensive.

Thanks

I only use them in freshwater when fishing with inline spinners. I canít take the line twist you get without them.

When fishing in saltwater I almost always use them with or without a leader. The only exception is when fishing with soft plastics which donít fish properly with a swivel. Of course with saltwater lures even a 150 lb swivel is pretty hard to notice.

Thanks

to make life easier to avoid using swivels ? use a polymar knot ... its the easiest , strongest knot you can find .

basically the gist of it is , you form a loop with your line , feed the loop through the eye of the hook or bait. tie an single over hand knot but before tightening run the loop around your bait. Moisten , tighten and your done. And this knot never fails ... works really well with braid

Thanks

I only use the palomar knot (unless tying two lines together)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiDDdW22X9k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7bBugWIzHw
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

Yeah, polamar is the way to go for sure! Cant think of a more simple knot that retains so much of the line strength!