Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Baitcasting setup?

I pretty much exclusively use powerpro, and really like it. Lines are a really tough thing to buy, you don't want to pay 30-40 bucks to spool up with something you're not going to like for the application. Perhaps I should start a dedicated thread for lines and see what people say.
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

Mono (any brand) can be prone to tangle as it ages. The line has 'memory' from being coiled tightly and it stiffens and retains that coil even off of the spool. With braiede line you could keep the same line on your spool for several years without issue. I'm Im goign into my 5th season with the same spool of PowerPro on one reel...

Thanks

Yup, the last time I spooled up my Cardiff was in '05 I believe.

Thanks

Saltwater breaks it down a little faster but you still get at least 3 years out of it. Even then you can use the old stuff as backing for a layer of new stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cbiegel
    Saltwater breaks it down a little faster but you still get at least 3 years out of it. Even then you can use the old stuff as backing for a layer of new stuff.
    That's good to know. I have a Quantum Cabo PT spinning reel with 65# yellow PP on it. Hasn't seen much saltwater action though.

Thanks

thanks for the info on line!

went to bass pro on the weekend..never ended up buying line or a rod and reel; i realized i need to do a bit more research. but man, those sales reps at the fishing line area are crazy aggressive!

i also had to deal with an idiot behind the reel counter, but everyone else was OK.

i have a question regarding rods...there was a nice shimano combo there ($89.99) but the rod said line strength of 6-16lbs..the guy at the reel counter said it's nothing to worry about, i can still use a heavy setup (50 or 65lbs).

is this true?

i can't find the combo on their site for some reason.

Thanks

You can definitely use heavier line on any reel, but it probably doesn't have the drag you want for musky.

Any fish can be caught on light line, but several species, especially musky are prone to dying after a long fight. It is VERY important to have strong line and solid drag to get a musky reeled in quickly to ensure its survival, especially big ones!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ST
    i also had to deal with an idiot behind the reel counter, but everyone else was OK.
    The idiots at the reel counter I usually have to deal with are in front of it :angry2:

I think after hearing all of this talk of PowerPro you should buy something else and give us a review! I'm sure I have enough PP in my tackle box to spool you up if you really do hate what you buy!!!

DS
    My name is Darryl, and I'm a fish-a-holic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ST
    i have a question regarding rods...there was a nice shimano combo there ($89.99) but the rod said line strength of 6-16lbs..the guy at the reel counter said it's nothing to worry about, i can still use a heavy setup (50 or 65lbs).

is this true?
    When buying rods, I usually look for 3 factors.

1st, the lure casting weight. If you know you use it for shore fishing w/ heavy spoons, then you want a heavy lure weight (max of 3/4, 1oz), or if you want to use it for weightless worms, then go for light lure weight (min of 1/16,3/16oz). Most common cheap rods are in the middle.

2nd, the rod length and 1 or 2pc. I currently must buy 2pc rods because I don't have any way to store a 1pc, and a longer rod means farther cast if fishing from shore.

3rd, fast action, slow action or noodle rod. Fast action = just tip bends and fast hookset, slow action = less hooks ripped out of fish's mouth, noodle rod = the whole rod bends and takes the weight.

I think the line weight is mostly for how well it casts a big bulky mono line, not how much weight a rod can hold before it breaks! I've never seen a rod breaking with a 20lb line...

A bigger line means it has bigger casting guides, while thinner lines have smaller guides. I suppose that if you are using braided line, then you don't need to consider the line factor, but if you use 40lb mono, then it's very critical not to put it through a rod with small guides.

Also Clive,
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive
    especially musky are prone to dying after a long fight. It is VERY important to have strong line and solid drag to get a musky reeled in quickly to ensure its survival, especially big ones!
    I gotta say that musky dying after a long fight made me realize that Carp > Musky!! You can fight a 10lb carp for 15 min and it still have fight left over when you get it in the net. Although carps don't have any teeth like a musky :sarcastic:
    mmMMmmm... bet that fish tastes good!

Thanks

I believe that Carp have a much better mechanism for dealing with lactic acid build up than other fish, certainly musky. Also keep in mind that a fish can still be released and die later due to the effects of the fight, this type of mortality is perhaps more common in musky. There have been a few studies on the matter.

Here is one about delayed mortality.
    http://www.nwtigermuskies.com/delayed_mortality.html