Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thanks

Baitcasting setup?

Hi,

I currently use a light-action Shimano reel/rod. I use either 6 or 8lbs mono line (can't recall the exact weight strength right now).

I am looking for a more sturdy set up, for example, something i can toss those giant musky spinners with. When i tried with my current setup, the lure was way too heavy (it was like I had already caught a fish!).

So from what i remember from yrs ago, baitcasters are more of a heavy-duty type of reel. First off, is this true?

Secondly, can anyone suggest a rod/reel combo? I am not looking to break the bank, maybe spend 50-70 for the reel (but only if it is a good deal for the quality) and i am not sure how much rods go for these days (the rod/reel i have is from the late 80's!!)..

Thanks! I would use this setup for fishing musky, sometimes for bass in heavy cover and anywhere else I think i may need it. i really do like my current light-action setup (fights are great!) but i am limited in the size of lure I can use.

i also went by a Canadian Tire and took a look at the lines. I was thinking of using a 20lbs mono line, something like Trilene XT, or Big Game, is this a good idea? Am I on the right track?

THANKS!!!

Thanks

Re: Baitcasting setup?

the rod i use is a 6'8" berkley series one rod m-h fast action. it cost about 80 us. and the real is awesome but expensive about 225-250 us it's the diawa zillion with 7:1 ratio very fast i use this combo for bass muskie and pike and have landed many fish in the 40"-43" range and have had no problems landing them. hopefully the helps you out.

Thanks

This is a combo I canít recommend enough. I use these rods (and reels) for all sorts of fishing in both fresh and saltwater. I would go with a 7í MH rod and the 6.4:1 reel. Around $160 for the combo. You can catch big fish and throw big baits with this combo but also smaller spinner baits and plastics like SLUGOs.

Thanks

The first musky rod I had (and stil have) is a Shimano Cardiff and a Fenwick HMG Musky Rod. Even to this day it's a great setup, specifically for big bucktails, suicks, bulldogs, jakes, etc. A new Cardiff will run you about 130-140 depending on spool size, and a new fenwick HMG is about 100 bucks.

I just looked through my Le Barons catalogue and fixed the prices above so they're accurate. There are other options too, for example the Fenwick Canadian Methods series musky rod is 65 bucks, and a Berkley lightning rod will only cost you 50.
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

Or you could get a baitcaster and some fresh new shades. (shameless self promotion)

http://www.fishingfury.com/20100304/...-and-save-big/

Thanks

Those Baitcasters look nice, free specs as well? Bargain! :dirol:

Thanks

Polarized lens' are always overlooked. I don't go anywhere without a high quality pair. They help me catch more fish.

The fishingfury deal is good. Also check out the rapala type r rods, always a good deal.

I'd stay with a rod less than 7'. When I have guests on my boat, I always pair them with a 6'6" rod and it's MUCH easier to control than anything over 7'.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MSBruno
    I'd stay with a rod less than 7'. When I have guests on my boat, I always pair them with a 6'6" rod and it's MUCH easier to control than anything over 7'.
    I'd say especially if you're a shore fisherman.

Thanks

thanks all!

pro bass is having a pretty big sale, so i might try to pick up a reel there...

Thanks

ST,
    If you're still in the market, Bass Pro has a couple of sales you might be interested in. There is a Bass Pro baitcaster (allegedly manufactured by Pflueger, I can't confirm) for $80 that I just picked up (my first one too!) and it normally retails for $110 I think. It casts smooth, has a lot of adjustment, and has a one piece aluminium construction which makes me, an engineer, smile.
    Also, there is a Shimano Clarus 7' M two-piece rod that I just picked up. It retails for $100 but there is a $20 mail-in rebate. Believe me when I say that I am NOT a fan of the mail-in rebate, but Shimano's HQ is in Peterborough so I'm a lot more confident I will receive my rebate.
    So all tolled, this setup ran me $160 plus tax, and I'm very pleased with it. If you're downtown and want to check it out, I'd be happy to let you have a cast or two.

One more thing... and I can't stress this enough... but you guys should be trying braid if you haven't already. Braid is thinner than mono or fluoro for the same pound test, casts farther, is tougher and more abbrasion resistant, etc etc etc. It really is 'super' line. People who are worried about their line being visible to the fish can just tie on a fluoro leader. It also has almost no stretch, so you can feel a bite immediately and set the hook like a champ. There isn't a lot of value in having a beautiful fast action rod and then running sloppy mono line. Just my opinion of course.

Darryl
    My name is Darryl, and I'm a fish-a-holic