Thanks

Are anglers getting swindled by retailers?

I recently moved up north to Richmond Hill, and left all the nearby fishing tackle shops of north york... Since I don't have a car (yet), I've been going to my local canadian tire shop to spend all my new-years money.

I don't know if all Canadian Tires are like the ones at Bayview/Hwy 7, but there's been so many fishing items on sale!

I must have spent like $100 on lures and on average they cost $3 per package!

Here's a list of the lootie on sale

thunderstick AJ60 naturistic perch - $1.93 x2
    erie dearie spinner-jig - $2.00
    blue fox vibrax double header spinner - $2.00
    Suspending wildeye swimbait (3 pack), perch and white pattern- $3.00 x4
    1 eye jack, 1/2 oz spoon - $3.00
    berkley gulp 4" minnow worm (12 pack) - $4.00
    storm intense swim shad (3 pack) - $2.00
    wild eye swim shad (6pack), 3/8 and 7/8oz - $3.00 x2
    hybrid hard body/soft tail crank baits by storm - $3.00 x2
    and some other ones I can't think of....

This made me think... Canadian tire is either losing money selling these, or we are all getting ripped off badly when we normally buy things... I mean, a storm thunderstick jerk bait for $1.93! a normal one is at least $5, so the rest is all profit for the retailers >_>

Do you guys think that anglers are getting swindled for their money?

Considering the prices of domestic (US and canadian) lures of a crank/jerk bait is on avg $8 and swim baits are all $15+, my local bait shop had a new stock of japanese imports, with price labels of $15+ for big blade baits and japanese brand jerk/crank baits... those products made me feel like my wallet will burn a hole through my jeans if I even took look at them!
    mmMMmmm... bet that fish tastes good!

Thanks

Re: Are anglers getting swindled by retailers?

They could be clearing out old stock perhaps. Bargin bins are always great. At the sportsmens show i found a bin that had lucky craft 91 pointers 3 for $17 bucks, normally theyre 20-25 EACH!!
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

Those are crazy prices, they gotta be selling at a loss!

MY guess is you'll be seeing many of those products coming in with new package designs - or CT just wanted to move them out to make room for something else. They do have some pretty good sales this time of year either way!

Thanks

its rather obvious that Retailers are going to make down the price of some lures especially when there
    unit sizes get low enough. larger retailers like Canadian Tire afford to mark the price up of some of the
    more popular lures because they know people will just buy them anyway. I have seen Beleivers and Stud
    finders priced about four $ more then they would normally be at an actual tackle shop. this was at the
    Canadian tire in Bellville.

be consious about who charges the most for tackle and ofcource avoid paying prices you
    dont want to settle for. no big deal. not something worth mulling over as far as im concerned. generaly
    if it costs more for the retailer to get the units they need to make money then the price will go
    up simple as that. we are not getting ripped off. its the economey that is changing.

Thanks
    Ebay every time for me, but i do have to stop hitting the buy it now button when i'm looking at the Japanese stuff, those Lures are so detailed and well made but come with such a heafty price tag that they are more like fancy ornaments than Fishing Lures!