Thanks

What Rod's would you feel safe for taking Sea Fishing? Apart from a Sea Rod!

Right then, i've just watched that bloke catching that Trevelly on his Fly Rod, does that mean i can use my Pike Rod to Fish the Sea then if he's using his Fly Rod and it will be ok? Are Fly Rod's built stronger than Pike Rod's? My Pike Rod is double whipped all the way down and very strong and surely if it's built to handle Pike that can reach 40lb plus then it should be ok to use for rock Fishing on the coast, i would have thought the chances of catching anything bigger than that from there would be 10,000 to 1! I need some info as i'm doing some rock Fishing for the 1st time this year and i want to be equipped for the right job. Are Sea Rod's built thicker just for the bigger Fish they might catch or is there many different reasons, like waves, current's etc?

Thanks

Re: What Rod's would you feel safe for taking Sea Fishing? Apart from a Sea Rod!

Fly rods are just like other rods, their build for different size fish. That rod he is using is tougher then anything you'd need for pike. Lighter rods are built for smaller fish like trout, heavy rods for saltwater fish like tarpon.

Heres a breakdown for fly rod weights:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/in...egoryId=222874

I'd say a pike rod will be fine for coast fishing as far as strength goes. I'd be concerned with the guides. If they aren't stainless steal or graphite they may rust. Of course, you'll also need to worry about the reel, but as long as you rinse both in freshwater after each use, you should be ok.

Thanks

Re: What Rod's would you feel safe for taking Sea Fishing? Apart from a Sea Rod!

I was more worried about scratching my new Pike Rod on the rocks than getting it caked in dried salt afterwards!!!...I might just take my Ugly Stik Tiger Lite then, it's only the medium version but takes up to a 25lb line and is meant for light Sea Fishing, do you think this is a better choice than risking wrecking my new Pike Rod?!