Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SWIMBAITS

Thanks

SWIMBAITS

alright, I can't ignore these things anymore. You guys wanna recommend me the best soft plastic swimbaits, the hooks i should use, and how to fish them? Keep in mind, i fish almost solely for largemouth, and I'm on a budget (16 and have no job) Thanks everyone!

Thanks

Re: SWIMBAITS

I donít use hard swimbaits in fresh water very much but I do love the soft ones. I tend to use the premolded one like the Wildeye Swim Shad by Storm Lures (link below). I like to vary the retrieve to see what the fish want. Start by casting and just swimming it back at different speeds. You can then try jigging it a little. Cast and let it fall, then pop your rod pretty strongly and let it fall again. The paddle tail will work nicely as it falls and thatís where you get most of your strikes.

http://www.stormlures.com/products/l...ype=soft_lures

Hard swimbaits are a whole different thing and you can run right off the end of the earth with them if you get into it but since I donít fish for money I canít even begin to justify spending the money. I know people will strongly disagree with me but I think that the $20-$60 (or more) could be much better spent of several other lures. Again, just my opinion.

Thanks

I think you cant go far wrong with Storm Lures, always really good value for money.

Thanks

Reaction Strikes makes several great soft plastic swimbaits. Not sure what type you're looking for exactly (jointed, paddle tail, etc). What species are you fishing for?

http://reactionstrike.com/softplastics.html
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

I'll vote for the Raction Strike lures as well. Been using the Fathead Jr swimbaits since last October and I really like the action.

http://reactionstrike.com/fatheadjr.html

Thanks

Johnathon, I'm mostly looking at paddletail, and all i really fish for are largemouth, hope to be getting out for smallies later this month though.
    Clive, what size/type hooks do you rig those with?

Thanks

You could rig these plenty of different ways, I'd probably recommend something like a gamakatsu g-lock, maybe with a clip on weight if you find it's too light to cast or what it to fall faster.
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

I use spiral lock hooks with the molded on weights. Having the weightless hooks and clip on weights would be more versatile though.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

I still suggest you give the Wildeye baits a try as well. A pack of 6 is dirt cheap and they come in a great baby bass pattern.

Thanks

I will absolutely give the wildeyes a try, so you guys have any tips with figuring out what size hooks are best for certain things? If i don't have the bait and the hook right in front of me, I can't for the life of me figure out sizes and such

Thanks

I was using the 6 inch reaction strike with a 5/0 hook with weight on the bottom of it - was actually fishing musky, but got a couple nice largies