Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks

If you can only use 5 lure/spinner/jig for the rest of your life, what is it?

Hello guys!

I used to fish in the Detroit river in Windsor using deep water rigs + live minnows. I would cast the rigs deep into the middle of the channel and caught plenty of big 'cats, freshwater drums and silver bass that stayed on the bottom of the river.

But since moving to Toronto, that strategy doesn't seem to work too well since there are no large channels/rivers.

I see that plenty of people focus on lures, spinners, jigs etc for small streams and "shallow" areas. I want to give these shiny little lures a try, but i dont know the slightest thing about 'em.

To start my collection, I'm wondering which ones I should buy, and that made me ask: which 5 lures would you use for the rest of your life?
    mmMMmmm... bet that fish tastes good!

Thanks

Re: If you can only use 5 lure/spinner/jig for the rest of your life, what is it?

Hello, i'm in no way an expert on this subject but the Mepps range always seem to do really well, especially the Red Dot, Yellow Dot and Chartreuse....I know there's a certain person with a first name beginning with C that can help you out on this subject and even supplies custom orders!

Thanks

Re: If you can only use 5 lure/spinner/jig for the rest of your life, what is it?

Thats a tough one! If its for the TO area, there are only a handful of species I'd be aiming for primarily bass, pike and muskie - but MOSTLY pike.

5. Dardevle - red/white
    - One of the all time great spoon designs, pike love red/white for some reason

4. Johnson Silveminnow - Firetiger
    - Another great spoon, and its weedless!

3. Rapala X-Rap pr Suspending husky Jerk- Clown or Tennessee Shad
    - Perfect for lazy fish, you can suspend the lure for as long as you want to entice a bite

2. Mepps Aglia or Black Fury - Firetiger or Black/yellow
    - Perfect for aggressive fish, can be fished at mid to shallow water and at various speeds. Smaller spinner baits wil also work great for trout and salmon.

1. Rockstar Lures - A shameless plug I know, but I designed these will living and fishing in and near Toronto, and they work! They're bigger and heavier then your standard spinner baits. I've caught pike, perch, bass, muskie and more on them...

Thanks

Oh wow, Clive, you've got your own custom lure workshop? I've checked out your rockstar lures website, and i've gotta admit they look darn nice.
    mmMMmmm... bet that fish tastes good!

Thanks

Thanks araret, I've been making them for a few years now and I've just about perfected them I think!

I also make them customized as requested.

Thanks

I agree with Clive on the pike aspect. He knows what hes talking about. But if we are talking about the rest of my life I would have to say. A Mepps #5 in black and yellow. A xrap in ghost. A circle hook and split shot (minnow to be added) A 8inch worm and #5 wide gapped hook. Last but not least a tube in blue fleck.

I have caught so many species with the above combos and could make do forever as long as I had a way to sharpen the hooks :dirol:

Thanks

Clive's got the right idea, but he's missing a few bass lures I'm not sure I could live with out.. It's hard to narrow it down to 5, maybe 5 per species.. Then again the Mepps will catch everything!

Berkley Gulp Sinking Minnow, Rattlin' Rap, Scumfrog, Zara Spook, to name a few
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

Hi,
    For me:

Angel Kiss (Maria)
    Terrif DC-13 (Duo)
    Tide minnow slim 140
    Super spook
    Chihuahua Megabait
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails angel_e_color.jpg   DSC08270.jpg   prod359.jpg  

206-2T.jpg  

Thanks

Tide...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z32438.jpg  

Thanks

Hi for me tas i'm used to fish sea bass that would be:
    Flashminow
    Angel kiss
    Patchinko
    super spook
    and spoon flashemer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails superspook.jpg