Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Rod?

Thanks

Re: What Rod?

I'm a big fan of the Compre, and the ugly stick is never a bad choice IMO. Havent used the other 2 rods though.

Thanks

I dont want to sound like a jerk but i will be completely honest with you . If i had $300 ish for a rod and reel , i would more then likely spend more the on rod and never a 2 piece. I know its easy for travel but the rod makes a world of difference , not only in balance but in sensativity and strength. Its why you typically dont see a mid to high range rod even produced in 2 piece. Also , i would seriously take a look at micro guide rods . You'll know when you see one they only come in baitcaster rods and the guides are smaller in diameter then the blank. These rods have amazing balance !

the curado is an amazing reel , i love mine , theres nothing like them . but pairing it up with any of those rods listed above is doing you and the reel a HUGE disservice .

That rod paired up with a ducket 7ft med hvy micro would be boss , and your only talking $160 + tax for the rod

Theres also the smoke pt with micro , theres plenty of them now ...

but please take with a grain of salt , its merely my opinion ...

Thanks

I definitely agree, the microguides are a great system. & Im hoping to find the money to pickup a new quantum smoke set!

I mean, I've been begging quantum to put out a matte black series, so if someone's actually listening to me they deserve my money LOL
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

Matte Rod's and Reels are the way to go, especially Army Green, in the bushes with that, you would feel like you were Fishing in 'Nam!

Thanks

I know what you mean smozo. The rod is only meant to be taken to the island though as I have other setups meant for everything else where I can drive to. Don't really want to spend more than $100 for a rod only meant for the islands. I'll probably pick up the voltaeus if I can't get my hands on a fenwick, though Im a bit skeptical about the fenwick as I've heard of many who has snapped their rods recently. I've also seen the new quantum smoke setup and honestly, it looks pretty sick. I might pick one up later in the year if my wallet allows, but I'm still trying to figure out this 2 piece rod issue.

Thanks

Have you looked at any of the rods that can slide down into the handle? You'd still get most of the benefits of a single piece rod while still making it a little smaller for travel.
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

I'd go with a travel Rod any day over the Telescopic ones, from what i've seen of them, they're no where near as well made as the travel ones but i suppose if money was no object, then you might get one that can handle something bigger than a Stickleback!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon
    Have you looked at any of the rods that can slide down into the handle? You'd still get most of the benefits of a single piece rod while still making it a little smaller for travel.
    Thought about going telescopic, but they are long as heck. Not used to fishing 7'+ rods and don't really want to try at this point. Im starting to think about skipping lunch for a couple of days and go the extra mile to get a 2 peice st.croix premier...

Thanks

I always though the two piece issues were a thing of the past. I'd love to do some real testing to really figure it out - but even if there is a difference, the average fisherman would never know!

Thanks

I've tried a few 2 peice rods my friends have on some trips with them. IMO, they feel the same. Only problem I have is when I fish spinners. After a couple hours of non-stop casting, I forget to check if the top section is still securely in place and it ends up flying off with one of my casts eventually.