Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Rod?

Thanks

What Rod?

I've been looking to buy a new reel for a while now and definitely wasn't going to pass up the no tax sale at le baron on boxing day. So as the shimano fanatic I am, I ended up getting a curado e7 after much contemplation over the new shimano caenan. I have to say, the reviews were right, just the oversized power grips are well worth the price difference. So anyways, now I'm looking for a new rod to pair up with my e7.

Basically I'm looking for a rod under $100, perferably under $75 if possible. 6'6 long, medium heavy action, fast tip. Weight not really a factor as I'm used to casting heavy rods with heavy lures all day. Must be a 2 peice rod as I frequently subway down to the islands.

So the rods I've now come up with are:
    1. Shimano voltaeus
    2. Fenwick CMT
    3. Shimano compre
    4. Shakespeare Ugly stik

Now heres where the problems start coming.
    - Shimano voltaeus is rated for lures up to 5/8 oz. while I regularly use 1 oz. lures and the 2 peice model only comes in medium action.
    - Fenwick CMT seems to be the perfect rod as they have a model that suits my requirements exactly, but no one seems to carry them locally anymore as they are old.
    - Can't seem to find anyone that sells a 2 piece model of compre.
    - Perferably don't want to get an ugly stik as I don't really like the feel of it.

So does anyone have any other recommendations for rods or know a place that still carries fenwick CMT?

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: What Rod?

I know you said that the compre doesn't come in two pieces, but its a *great* rod! Tackle Tour has some pretty good things to say about the Voltaeus. I know the uglystik probably isn't the highest quality rod in the price range, and probably not the most sensitive, but it is by far the most durable rod of the bunch. I still have my medium action uglystik from 15 years ago and its in near perfect condition (foam handles are pretty beat up).
    Yes, Ed F took my avatar photo.

Thanks

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/car...mpreMuskieRods

My buddy has a Compre Rod and loves it. There is one here that is 2-piece that would be a good fit, it is a little over $100.00 but well worth the price for a good durable rod that can handle heavy lures.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys.

As a shimano fanatic, to be honest, I can turn a blind eye to the price tag on the compre LOL. My only problem is the one piece factor. I know there is a 2 piece model, but can't find someone who carries it. Plus it's really hard to subway around with a 6' rod. That'll probably be my second last choice before the ugly stik. Still trying to find a place that has the fenwick CMT though.

Just another question, I've never tried, but would there be much of an issue if I toss 1 oz. baits on a rod rated for 5/8 oz.? I've searched around and some articles say you can snap your line alot easier. Is that true?

Thanks.

Thanks

It all depends on what quality line you are using wether it will snap or not, just use decent braid and you will be fine...The 1oz weight will be no problem anyway.

Thanks

I have it loaded with #30 powerpro. Im guessing there won't be a problem then? If not, I guess voltaeus it is.

Thanks

I wouldn't be worried about it anyway, but then again, i'm no pro!

Thanks

Depends on how you cast and if your rod has a lot of whip to it. If you cast like clive, you'll probably snap a few lures off and upgrade to 65#

Thanks

Damnit....I'll probably have to pick up some 65# then...

Thanks

Just be mindful when you cast and check your line for fraying and you should be fine.