Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tangledline View Post
    do the no fishing law boundaries encompass fishing from a boat in the inner and outer harbours and toronto islands etc.
    if it does......we may be able to gain some boating allies in this battle
    I find it absolutly unaccaptable that the port authority says you cannot fish there.

Could you imaging the media was aware of that and they are avid fishermen and women...

**** would hit the FAN!

Thanks
    I sent an inquiry to the TPA. I'm sure they've received a few and I would encourage everyone to do the same so they get the impression that the fishermen are not happy about this.

Here's my letter to them:

"Hello,

I am writing to inquire about the TPA's PRACTICES AND PROCEDURES, particularly section 24 which states, "No person shall fish from shoreline unless in an authorized area designated by posted signs."

Is this a bylaw? Are there fines for shore fishing in the harbor? How long has this rule been in effect? Does it cover the whole jurisdiction of the TPA including the Toronto Islands? Why were these rules put into place? Where are the designated fishing areas?

I look forward to your response.

Erik "

I'm sure it will be a few days before I get a response.

Thanks
    Here's the response I received.

"Thank-you for your question to the Toronto Port Authority.

For your information, a map of the jurisdiction of the TPA can be found at:

http://www.torontoport.com/TorontoPo...risdiction.png

The Practices and Procedures of the Toronto Port Authority state:

http://www.torontoport.com/Port/Abou...rocedures.aspx

24. No person shall fish from shoreline unless in an authorized area designated by posted signs.

25. Afloat Recreational/Commercial fishing is not to be undertaken in a navigable channel, or areas designated for other activities swimming, diving, etc

The vast majority of the waterfront property in the harbour are owned by the City of Toronto or by private companies and NOT the Toronto Port Authority. So the inference of number 24 is that you must have permission from the land owner to fish off of their property.

Number 25 is strictly based on safety and navigation. No fishing in navigation, swimming or related use areas.

Fishing is commonplace amongst the Toronto Islands which fall under the jurisdiction of the city's Park and Recreation Department.

Chapter 608 of the Toronto Municipal Code deals with Parks. Section 38 addresses Fishing.

608-38. Fishing.

While in a park:
    A. No person shall fish in an area posted to prohibit fishing;
    B. No person shall store or leave any lures, bait, hooks, lines, poles or other equipment in the park in a location or manner that may injure other persons or wildlife; and
    C. All permitted fishing must be carried out in compliance with all Ministry of Natural Resources Rules and Regulations.

So from Clause 608-38 (A)...fishing is permitted at all city Parks except where posted.

The last reprinting of the TPA's Practices and Procedures was in the year 2000, but I expect that these rules go back decades.

I believe that the remainder of your questions are answered directly / indirectly above.

Please contact me if you have additional questions or concerns.

cheers

Michael Riehl
    Deputy Harbour Master
    & Manager of Customer Relations
    Toronto Port Authority "

What do you guys think?

Thanks
    It sounds to me like we can keep on fishing.

Thanks
    Michael Riehl is a gentleman...he seemed to respect your inquiery...answer your questions fairly directly..with the actual rules and regs and he expanded on them giving them clairity...he took the time and effort to reply with respect.
    i feel that as he applies the regs he would do so in the interest of safety more so than convience or prestiege to boaters...
    so other than safety areas....what areas remain conflicting to us for fishing???
    privately owned areas...
    toronto islands ok to fish <exceptions...private marinas, filtration plant and algonquin island>
    cherry beach (north east side harbour)
    east side of harbour owned primarily by industrial companies...
    keeting channel???
    sugar beech harbour wall???
    redpath and ferry harbour out of bounds
    york quay behind condos...we have always been welcome
    york quay terminal harbour and boardwalk is out of bounds <safety with all the tour boats>harbourfront security area
    pier four is a private marina....but the outer harbour wall???
    police and fire marinas....common sense...stay away from the entrance points for the boats...safety reasons
    new parkette between firestation and condo is a city park
    fishing in front of condo at foot of spadina...never been asked not to there.
    spadina quay marina.....outer wall???...music garden park??? obviously not around the boats in the marina
    but what areas are marina owned and city park owned???
    malting silos bay...anywhere the tour boats are not moored
    west and east channels??? no boats fish/ boats respect their path of travel??
    this would be my interpretation and unresolved questions...

Thanks
    outer harbour there is a pennisula opposite the old generating station but between tommy thompson park.
    there is a marina on the east side of the pennisula but nothing on the west side or around the light house
    can we fish there??? the marina has security to prevent fishing etc in the marina area but is the whole area marina owned???
    harbour commission has an office there....

spadina quay...who owns what areas???

the boardwalk along harbour front centre and power plant who owns that and is it out of bounds?

ontario place??? with all the changes???

Thanks

spadina quay

http://www.toronto.ca/harbourfront/spadina_quay_wet.htm
    as you view the above it would appear that the wetland area / music gardens / and south spadina quay are all public access park....see red dots

Thanks
    http://www.toronto.ca/harbourfront/p...emap_links.htm
    park areas marked are owned by trca you can" fish on" in these areas then...
    notice the harbourfront centre area looks out of bounds...?????

Thanks
    http://www.toronto.ca/harbourfront/s...quay_south.htm
    this confuses me as it states marina owned by harbourfront centre that forbids fishing on their property...
    but the property of south spadina is owned partially by harbourfront commission and leased out?
    can you fish out into the harbour..not the marina from this area????

Thanks
    iwas fishing from the sidewalk at portland street slip....3foot gar in front of me...harrbourfront security car pulls up and the guy freaks out at me.
    there are 5 other guys fishing the spadina quay area...none around the boats but the security guy is reading me the letter of the law...you are fishing from shore into harbourfront property therefore breaking rule #24 of the port authority...he has the hand book...he is charging me with trespassing and i am to leave or he will force me to.....i explain the weeks events he doesn't answer me...he turns his back and calls for more security....i tell him i ain't going no where...he tells me the security will remove me, the police will be called, i will be given a $2000.00 fine and arrested. ....i was so angry at this point i would of got myself into a big mess with security so i told him to just call the police.
    police marine unit comes and all persons fishing are sent away....they leave me to last ...i explained the situation to the police and they show me the port authority handbook and tell me that until their boss is instructed otherwise this is the law...if i do not leave now i will be fined $2000 and for refusing to leave i will be going with them...i was so angry that the police officer asked why...he said he had no problem with me and would i go and fight this another way...i agreed and departed....they had to ask a guy fishing in a boat to leave too....